TH350/trans guys, shifting problem, HELP!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2007, 08:21 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default TH350/trans guys, shifting problem, HELP!!

I know this is the Texas forum, but alot of you Th350/400's guys do not browse the trans section and I need some HELP!

Man, I am pissed.. Here's the details on the trans before I start explaining..

BTE TH350
Specs:
TH350 Full Manual Transmission
This transmission features:

-Full Manual Valve Body
-5 high performance clutches in reverse, 6 in low, 5 in high
-2.52 low gear
-One piece case saver
-Rebuilt pump
-New bearings and bushings
-Dyno tested to ensure proper operation

Converter is a TCI-4200 Competetion trans with anti-balloon plate.

Just got my coupe up and going and noticed on my first test drive it felt like it was starting in 2nd gear and I could only feel one shift when I would put it in drive. I have jacked the car up and had a buddy run it at about 2500rpm and manually shifted the trans under the car to eliminate shifter problems. I started in 1st gear position and then shifted into 2nd and did not notice anything and then shifted into 3rd (drive) and it shifted just fine into 3rd (trans jolted and rpm's dropped). After that test I tried the downshift operation. Started in 3rd gear and clicked it down to 2nd, worked fine (trans jolted and rpm's jumped up) and then downshifted into 1st, no difference. I did not notice ANY trans jolting or rpm change when downshifting into 1st. I am at the conclusion that something has to be wrong with 1st gear operation due to the fact it downshifts into 2nd. What could be the problem????
Old 02-08-2007, 09:37 AM
FormerVendor

first off on initial install if you didnt have the convertor pushed all the way back against the pump and you bolted the convertor to the flywheel like that you hurt the pump and it sent trash in the valve body and you may have a stuck valve.. next if you have reverse than you will have first also....if you stabbed the trans in correct and you do not have a modulator with a vacuum but instead they plugged it off; you may want to put one on.. im typing this through my phone and kinda busy and cant think straight but regardless you should all their tech guy and pick his brains..
Old 02-08-2007, 10:18 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by getdrugtoday
first off on initial install if you didnt have the convertor pushed all the way back against the pump and you bolted the convertor to the flywheel like that you hurt the pump and it sent trash in the valve body and you may have a stuck valve.. next if you have reverse than you will have first also....if you stabbed the trans in correct and you do not have a modulator with a vacuum but instead they plugged it off; you may want to put one on.. im typing this through my phone and kinda busy and cant think straight but regardless you should all their tech guy and pick his brains..
Thanks for the info.. I have installed a butt load of th350 and converters so I know that wasn't the problem. I called them a little but ago and they are sending me another valve body. Something about a 2 cuts are made to the valvebody and they are thinking 1 cut was left out or maybe not completely done. Wish I knew more about the internals. I just wanted to make sure it is not something I am forgetting about, or maybe a simple test I can do to see if it is the valve body.
Old 02-08-2007, 12:13 PM
TECH Senior Member

Its a valve body problem.