Can you get fired while your on approved vacation?

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2007, 07:22 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mr Yak, look up M&M Manufacturing, they have a plant over in Dallas, that might be a good part time/temporary option for you.
Old 02-17-2007, 08:40 PM
Launching!

cool man, shot them an email said they didn't have any positions open right now, but if you know somebody on the inside send me a pm
Old 02-17-2007, 08:53 PM
Banned

they always say that they don't have any positions. Just show up and its usually a different story. I'll talk to some friends and see if I can arrange anything over there at that plant for you. Good Luck
Old 02-18-2007, 12:05 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Mr Yak
man that bites the dong, well i guess if anybody wants to know. NEVER WORK FOR LABINAL! it is a french company too. i just want to go back up there and tell everybody bye and ...... **** off

dont work in the bull **** area which these absurd rules exist.. thank god for labour laws and unions.. long live the IWA
Old 02-18-2007, 01:02 AM
TECH Addict

That's funny as hell. 99.9% of the time most terminations are justified. I don't know very many people that live here that have had this problem, it's not really an issue for most people here. I feel pretty confident when I say we love living in Texas.

Originally Posted by misfits
dont work in the bull **** area which these absurd rules exist.. thank god for labour laws and unions.. long live the IWA
Old 02-18-2007, 08:22 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by misfits
Oh god, here come the democrats!!! Just kidding......

I'm gonna go ahead and hijack this thread for just a moment to respond to this comment.

Labor unions are NO longer necessary in today's economy. When the BIG labor unions were around in the 1920 and 1930's they were absoltly necessary because "Workers Rights", did not exist. Workers were being killing due to saftey problems and not getting propery compensated. THAT'S when labor unions were a necessity.

In today's work place, they are a hinderance and cause problems for businesses. I'll give you a few examples, flame away if you want, but keep it to FACT and not opinion. All labor unions are the same (and corrupted)

1. ANY Major Sports Player Unions: This has got to be the WORST one out there. Right, $25 milliion a year to play a damn game!?!?! WTF? So, Owners then have to raise ticket prices to TRY to make more money. LAbor Union 1 : General public 0.

2. Auto Workers Union : This one is obvious....anybody buy a car lately and see the prices of an car? OMG ya'll, $35K for a truck? Oh yea, but you gotta pay that union employee $25/hour to sit and put one screw in a truck in Arlington, Texas!

3. UFCW (United Federation of Commercial Workers Unions) : He's a nasty one that holds quite a few people in the grocery industry, wonder why your food is getting more expensieve?

4. Teamsters : WOW, this has gotten to be the WORST one on the planet and the most corrupt, Teamsters have a butt load of people under their control and different types of workers as well.

Bottom line is, Unions CAN do good, but most of the time, they take your money for being a "union employee", then when the management needs to cut costs (like business do), the first and most expensive cost is what...LABOR! Isn't that what our country was founded on? Business and Capitialism? Well, sometimes labor must go, but instead, because a union will protect the average laborer it means that the Company will go UNDER! or into Bankrupsy. THink of Delta Airlines/Northwest Airlines, and oh yea, Eastern actually DID go under (as well as Braniff).

To all you union employees out in this forum....would you rather have a job, or looking for one because your company folded because it couldn't cut the biggest cost?

I've been a union employee before, been on the BAD end of one, so I know what the hell I'm talkin' about. I've even attempted to be a "non" union employee is a closed shop, oh my god, never again.

To summarize, unions are corrupt, do NOT look out for the average Joe (just their own balance sheet), and are NOT necessary in today's marketplace and work place.

Sorry to hijack the thread!
Old 02-18-2007, 10:40 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

labor unions are why the 'Big Dig' project in boston ended up costing $16.8 BILLION instead of the $2.2Billion is was originally estimated to cost. and that was federally funded, so that means everyone in TX paid for it too!

my father has a lot of friends in the construction business, and he told me about friends of his that got paid $30/hr to sit in a dumptruck all day and go dump it when it got full... two runs a day. another guy got paid $30/hr to make sure the diesel generators were full of fuel. on average he sat in a truck all day and filled them up twice a day.

the project STILL isnt done, and they are constantly uncovering more and more problems with it
Old 02-18-2007, 01:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Splitz
Oh god, here come the democrats!!! Just kidding......

I'm gonna go ahead and hijack this thread for just a moment to respond to this comment.

Labor unions are NO longer necessary in today's economy. When the BIG labor unions were around in the 1920 and 1930's they were absoltly necessary because "Workers Rights", did not exist. Workers were being killing due to saftey problems and not getting propery compensated. THAT'S when labor unions were a necessity.

In today's work place, they are a hinderance and cause problems for businesses. I'll give you a few examples, flame away if you want, but keep it to FACT and not opinion. All labor unions are the same (and corrupted)

1. ANY Major Sports Player Unions: This has got to be the WORST one out there. Right, $25 milliion a year to play a damn game!?!?! WTF? So, Owners then have to raise ticket prices to TRY to make more money. LAbor Union 1 : General public 0.

2. Auto Workers Union : This one is obvious....anybody buy a car lately and see the prices of an car? OMG ya'll, $35K for a truck? Oh yea, but you gotta pay that union employee $25/hour to sit and put one screw in a truck in Arlington, Texas!

3. UFCW (United Federation of Commercial Workers Unions) : He's a nasty one that holds quite a few people in the grocery industry, wonder why your food is getting more expensieve?

4. Teamsters : WOW, this has gotten to be the WORST one on the planet and the most corrupt, Teamsters have a butt load of people under their control and different types of workers as well.

Bottom line is, Unions CAN do good, but most of the time, they take your money for being a "union employee", then when the management needs to cut costs (like business do), the first and most expensive cost is what...LABOR! Isn't that what our country was founded on? Business and Capitialism? Well, sometimes labor must go, but instead, because a union will protect the average laborer it means that the Company will go UNDER! or into Bankrupsy. THink of Delta Airlines/Northwest Airlines, and oh yea, Eastern actually DID go under (as well as Braniff).

To all you union employees out in this forum....would you rather have a job, or looking for one because your company folded because it couldn't cut the biggest cost?

I've been a union employee before, been on the BAD end of one, so I know what the hell I'm talkin' about. I've even attempted to be a "non" union employee is a closed shop, oh my god, never again.

To summarize, unions are corrupt, do NOT look out for the average Joe (just their own balance sheet), and are NOT necessary in today's marketplace and work place.

Sorry to hijack the thread!
Why don't you go ahead and contribute some of the blame of high ticket prices, companies going under, and high vehicle prices to the fact that the avg. American CEO makes 380 x their avg. employee's salary.

And that's not including retirement benefits, perks, stock options, etc...

Yes, they make more in one day, than their avg. employee does in a year, but yet the blame is being put on joe blow for making $20-$30 an hour.

Next time you hear about a company going under, compare the exec's total compensation package for the last year vs. the payroll of the company, and tell me where the fat could have been cut.

(I'm sorry about hijacking you're thread too! lol)
Old 02-18-2007, 01:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by slayer_taunu
labor unions are why the 'Big Dig' project in boston ended up costing $16.8 BILLION instead of the $2.2Billion is was originally estimated to cost. and that was federally funded, so that means everyone in TX paid for it too!

my father has a lot of friends in the construction business, and he told me about friends of his that got paid $30/hr to sit in a dumptruck all day and go dump it when it got full... two runs a day. another guy got paid $30/hr to make sure the diesel generators were full of fuel. on average he sat in a truck all day and filled them up twice a day.

the project STILL isnt done, and they are constantly uncovering more and more problems with it

So you are saying because of unions, those guys are overpaid, and increased the cost of the build $14.6 Billion dollars? That doesn't sound like a case of overpaid employees.

Those people could have worked for minimum wage and not made a dent in $14.6 billion difference. There is obviously other factors that have gone into that.

BTW $30/hr in Boston really doesn't get you that far, their cost of living has always been a lot higher than ours.
Old 02-18-2007, 02:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 2002C5COUPE
Why don't you go ahead and contribute some of the blame of high ticket prices, companies going under, and high vehicle prices to the fact that the avg. American CEO makes 380 x their avg. employee's salary.

And that's not including retirement benefits, perks, stock options, etc...

Yes, they make more in one day, than their avg. employee does in a year, but yet the blame is being put on joe blow for making $20-$30 an hour.

Next time you hear about a company going under, compare the exec's total compensation package for the last year vs. the payroll of the company, and tell me where the fat could have been cut.

(I'm sorry about hijacking you're thread too! lol)
For the amount of responsbility that the CEO/CFO/COO's have I don't think ANYBODY here is qualified to have an opinion on.

The average Joe Blow employee that makes $30/hour in responsibility isn't a fair comparison. The CEO probably has at LEAST a Master's degree in Business AND the experience level. The AVERAGE CEO is usually over the age of 55 which makes his EXPERIENCE invaluable and priceless. That being said, what do YOU think they are worth?

That being said, there are company CEO's that don't get a regular "salary". The Home Depot CEO before he quit got $1/year salary.

Compare apples to apples instead of apples to oranges.
Old 02-18-2007, 02:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

how was your performance?

were you late? sick days? did you request the vacation in time?
Old 02-18-2007, 02:58 PM
Banned

You can file for unemployment though.... just until you find something as good
Old 02-18-2007, 03:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Splitz
That being said, there are company CEO's that don't get a regular "salary". The Home Depot CEO before he quit got $1/year salary.

Compare apples to apples instead of apples to oranges.

Here's some facts on the Home Depot CEO:

http://www.businessweek.com/investor...523_284791.htm

$1/yr. salary?? Call it what you want. IMO salary is the same thing as aguaranteed bonus. Who gets a guaranteed bonus? CEO's

This CEO made over $200 million dollars in a few years ^^. The shareholders didn't seem to happy about all of it. BTW is there workforce union?
Old 02-18-2007, 05:34 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Elite_Hot_Rod
That's funny as hell. 99.9% of the time most terminations are justified. I don't know very many people that live here that have had this problem, it's not really an issue for most people here. I feel pretty confident when I say we love living in Texas.
I'll have to disagree with that one. At least in my industry, I have seen some good people screwed over for no reason or because someone needed to cover their own butt. I could believe 80%, but not 99.9%.

Anyway, continue...
Old 02-18-2007, 05:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 2002C5COUPE
Here's some facts on the Home Depot CEO:

http://www.businessweek.com/investor...523_284791.htm

$1/yr. salary?? Call it what you want. IMO salary is the same thing as aguaranteed bonus. Who gets a guaranteed bonus? CEO's

This CEO made over $200 million dollars in a few years ^^. The shareholders didn't seem to happy about all of it. BTW is there workforce union?
I put it to you...do this then....boycott EVERY firm that you purchase goods then if you don't agree with the CEO pay.

They DESERVE the pay, I'm sure that you would feel the same way...do you DESERVE what you make? Or do you feel that you DESERVE MORE?

The Home Depot guy, I think deserves that pay based on share prices and profitilabity alone!
Old 02-18-2007, 05:52 PM
TECH Addict

It's the same reason why sports stars get paid exorbitant sums of money. If you can adequately guard Shaq, then I'm sure you'd be making a few million dollars a year.

If you could successfully run a multi-national, multi-billion dollar corporation, then I'm sure you'd be making a few million dollars a year, too.
Old 02-20-2007, 01:11 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

someone correct me if i'm wrong, but even in a fire-at-will state, you can still sue them for falsely stating the reason for termination. for instance, if they put down in the paperwork that they fired you for not coming to work, and you were on company-approved vacation, you may have a case. just hope you kept the paperwork that has your boss' signature on it that proves your vacation was approved....

i would call a lawyer and at least get a consultation....usually it's free, and they can tell you if it's worth pursuing.
Old 02-20-2007, 01:35 AM
That's what she said...

Was anybody else thinking this???

"Craig..... how you goin' get fired on yo DAY OFF?!?!"
Old 02-20-2007, 11:25 PM
TECH Addict

haha, yeah...i thought that, too.....

"what you doing stealin boxes? what, you tryin ta build a clubhouse?"

Quick Reply: Can you get fired while your on approved vacation?