Possibly Moving to Fort Worth

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2007, 06:53 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Possibly Moving to Fort Worth

I'm looking for the low-down on living in Fort Worth, TX. Right now I'm finishing up school in Portland, OR and there is a lot of heavy recruiting for teachers coming out of Texas, specifically Fort Worth ISD (at least that's what I've heard).

I dont know anyone that lives in or around Fort Worth, so do you guys have any advice? Where's a good part of town to live in? How are the schools? How bad's the crime? Etc.

Thanks a plenty
Jeremy
Old 03-04-2007, 07:08 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i live in SW fort worth, the 'city view' region. i've had a vehicle broken into 3 times in less than 1.5 years.

are you looking to buy a house or rent an apartment? also, whats your price range on that. the 'quality' of the area can very much depend on how much you are spending on a place to live.
Old 03-04-2007, 07:26 PM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Werd. There are also some really nice places to live around here.
Old 03-04-2007, 07:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Id shoot for the azle white settlement richland hills hulen area's of Ft.Worth. I have a friend that live 5 mins from Hulen mall. I wish I did.
Old 03-04-2007, 08:17 PM
Teching In

Location: The Republic of Texas, just south of the United States...

I'm completing my teaching certification right now and am being recruited by approx 40 different districts across TX. (I also have a business degree and a masters in ed admin, with 20 years of successful prof. business exp.) All are offering decent salaries, average for the dfw area for me has been about 45-47K. Personally I will not even consider the Houston area but thats my opinion.

DFW has alot of openings, but there is also a large exiting of teachers in that area because of the lower socio-economic population they serve and the problems associated with these populations. Many newer teachers leave this area just after about two years as an average according to many friends of mine in the profession in that area. Not bashing, just sharing facts.

I don't know enough about the FT. Worth area except that there's alot of great people there that I've met on this site, the schools in that area tend to have better ratings on a national scale than Dallas.

There are many, many great districts and schools in that area and I'm considering Lewisville, Frisco, McKinney and Denton as possibilities for myself.

DFW is probobly one of the better places to live in TX, San Antonio (as long as you live outside of town, (I grew up there and know it better than most) and the Hill Counrty rock, the coast can be a great place to live, El Paso sucks *****, Houston is like Los Angeles only with really fucked up nasty humidity and worse traffic, west Texas is hit or miss.

Good luck
Old 03-04-2007, 10:00 PM
Ginger Hater

Originally Posted by slayer_taunu
i live in SW fort worth, the 'city view' region. i've had a vehicle broken into 3 times in less than 1.5 years.
if you live in an apartment complex in city view thats the problem, most of them don't care about the amount of section 8 housing they allow in....even though city view is right next to one of the richest neighborhoods in fort worth. SW fort worth is kinda going down the toilet any way. I would go north east, up by hurst/euless/bedford. Any where north of DFW is gonna be good. Burleson is a good town as well.
Old 03-04-2007, 10:02 PM
Banned

shoot me a pm, my mom is a superintendant/personel director at a FTW area school.
Old 03-05-2007, 03:30 PM
Staging Lane

Housing is up in the air - There are some incentives for teachers to purchase houses in 'revitalization' areas (which typically end up being the slums), BUT, that depends on the town too. I mean, where I grew up Southern Oregon there are a lot of places that people call the slums because they're stricken by poverty, but at the same time, the people are all really nice and enjoy living there. So that's why I'm just trying to get a general feel for the fort worth area. And from what I'm gathering by you guy's, it sounds like the north end of town is better than the south.

Seems like they're are plenty of options to be considering. Any more suggestions would be appreciated!
Old 03-05-2007, 04:31 PM
Banned

North FTW isn't the best part of town, If you want to live in the city limits i would definatly stay towards TCU or Lake Worth. Weatherford, Azle, Lake Side, Saginaw, Keller, Haltom City are all nice areas also
Old 03-05-2007, 08:02 PM
Staging Lane

Rep for Saginaw!!
Old 03-05-2007, 08:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

I say check out the SW side of Fort Worth, Hulen, Bryant Irvin, White Settlement, Benbrook. Good place to live, Its growing at a decent rate to and not to crowded at all compared to the North and East sides of town.
Old 03-05-2007, 09:32 PM
Banned

i live in saginballs too!
Old 03-05-2007, 09:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Hey ya'll, don't forget about us loosers here SOUTH of 20 and West of I-35W now!

I'm in damn near Crowley/Burleson which is really nice, all the comforts of Fort Worth AND an up and coming area.

Bought my house for $100k and will sell for $120k!!
Old 03-06-2007, 01:56 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SlvrV6Camaro
I say check out the SW side of Fort Worth, Hulen, Bryant Irvin, White Settlement, Benbrook. Good place to live, Its growing at a decent rate to and not to crowded at all compared to the North and East sides of town.
benbrook is nice. you definatley want to stay west of hulen street. south of columbia trail has a lot of very nice, higher end subdevelopments.
Old 03-06-2007, 07:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

It is nice here in benbrook, just 377 is like a madhouse in the afternoons thank god there expanding it soon.
Old 03-07-2007, 06:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Depending on where you work, the south side offers more home for your $. The same house in Keller and Whitesettlement was more expensive with less upgrades than it was in Burleson.

Hulen area is nice if you are going to live in an apartment. It sucks arond Christmas time though with all the shopping traffic. Thats where we lived when we first moved back to TX. The bonus to this area was not having the I20 to I35 southbound interchange bottle neck to deal with. 20 is generally free flowing. Because of this I really wanted to live in Benbrook, but we didn't like the floor plans offered there.
Old 03-07-2007, 07:19 PM
TECH Addict

new Crowley FTW !!! Depends on your price range and family structure i.e. kids etc. Any where in the country is a score, quiet and less trouble. Traffic is heavy but stop and go but Houston traffic is heavy but it moves at a pace where as DFW is alot of standing still.