dog owners please come in.

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2007, 10:18 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default dog owners please come in.

my puppy is @ 13 weeks; what are the shots does he need?? plus where do you guys go for VET?? any recommended hospitals??? these VET hospitals are EXPENSIVE~!~
Old 03-13-2007, 10:26 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by TX_SS
my puppy is @ 13 weeks; what are the shots does he need?? plus where do you guys go for VET?? any recommended hospitals??? these VET hospitals are EXPENSIVE~!~
Mine go to 303 Animal CLininc. But for surgery stuff minus the last one Mahle had to remove her toe nail I take them to Waxhachie Animal Clinic. The further away from Dallas and Tarrant county you get the cheaper it is to have the word done.

Shots are shots. You need to get the records from Thurman on what hes been given already i any. You get 2 or 3 shots the first two or 3 times. Then the last one will be his last puppy shot and a rabies vaccination. I know its 4 series of shots for a puppy.

Dont forget the heartworm test and prevention. Its best to prevent then treat. Treating heartworms is $$$$$
Old 03-13-2007, 10:26 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Try the humane society. The wait can be a little long but shots are cheap! I'm getting my pup spayed next week at the Denton Co humane society. It's like $45 vs $350 at the Vet office.

Freaking crazy what they can get away with. If there are Aladdin animal hospitals around you, DO NOT take him there...they charge insane fees!
Old 03-13-2007, 10:33 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by pdanrichey
Try the humane society. The wait can be a little long but shots are cheap! I'm getting my pup spayed next week at the Denton Co humane society. It's like $45 vs $350 at the Vet office.

Freaking crazy what they can get away with. If there are Aladdin animal hospitals around you, DO NOT take him there...they charge insane fees!

humane society sounds good.. i never thought about that.
ill do some research around my area.

thanx
Old 03-13-2007, 10:35 AM
TECH Apprentice

Plan on spending $150 at a local vet, for shots, checkup, tests etc.
if he is healthy, if not the bill could be anything.
Old 03-13-2007, 10:40 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Yep animals are expensive for sure. I think I had about 4 rounds of visits to the vet. They cost on average about 100 a visit. I had the dog fixed and microchipped and last round of shots and it cost me $500 once all said and done. I also own a great dane and at 6 months when getting fixed she was 87lbs and growing. She should be full grown by 18 months, and about 135-140lbs. They are short lived dogs and expensive to buy on top of the vet visits. As for food not to bad I have a special food that is purchased at the feed store for $20 for a 40lb bag and she eats about 6-8 cups a day.

J
Old 03-13-2007, 10:42 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by JETG
Yep animals are expensive for sure. I think I had about 4 rounds of visits to the vet. They cost on average about 100 a visit. I had the dog fixed and microchipped and last round of shots and it cost me $500 once all said and done. I also own a great dane and at 6 months when getting fixed she was 87lbs and growing. She should be full grown by 18 months, and about 135-140lbs. They are short lived dogs and expensive to buy on top of the vet visits. As for food not to bad I have a special food that is purchased at the feed store for $20 for a 40lb bag and she eats about 6-8 cups a day.

J
thatz why i dont have a great dane..
Old 03-13-2007, 10:59 AM
TECH Resident

http://www.jeffstar.org/images/Saku/

That's my little guy! Actually he's not little anymore. So far I've spent about 145 dollars at the Vet for his stuff. Parvo is the most important. It's easy for them to catch and they can die or be really screwed up if not treated quickly.

At 13 weeks he should already be on his 2nd round of boosters. Keep him away from other dogs and keep him inside as much as you can until you can get caught up.
Old 03-13-2007, 11:04 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by pdanrichey

LOL

Thats city vets for you man.
Old 03-13-2007, 11:43 AM
On The Tree

IF YOU TRUST YOURSELF.. enough to give them shots yourself,

you can ususally pick them up at any tractor supply, or feed store. I do it myself. But then again, Im going through vet school, and have worked in clinics since I was 16 lol. But its really really easy. And its about 12 bucks. But you cant do rabies.. you have to get that done at the vet..

Good luck!!
Old 03-13-2007, 11:49 AM
TECH Regular

I've got a 13 week old rottie, We took him to that new pets mart off of matlock and I-20 they have a Vet office inside and for 120.00 bucks and 16.00 dollars a month drafted from your account you get all three set of shots, spayed or neuterd, no charge for office visits, discounts for medications, and microchipped. As long as you pay the 16 dollars a month. It's called Banfield hospital there in most petsmart. Very good doctors! You have to pay the 120.00 up front. If your animal gets all there shots and it gets pyrvo or distemper they will pay the first 1,000.00 dollars for treatment.
Old 03-13-2007, 11:57 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by SuperGook
I've got a 13 week old rottie, We took him to that new pets mart off of matlock and I-20 they have a Vet office inside and for 120.00 bucks and 16.00 dollars a month drafted from your account you get all three set of shots, spayed or neuterd, no charge for office visits, discounts for medications, and microchipped. As long as you pay the 16 dollars a month. It's called Banfield hospital there in most petsmart. Very good doctors! You have to pay the 120.00 up front. If your animal gets all there shots and it gets pyrvo or distemper they will pay the first 1,000.00 dollars for treatment.
Yep theres another one I believe thats an outright $250 upfront and covers all of that and any emergency work as well.
Old 03-13-2007, 06:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

We've got our dog registered at a PetsMart Vet.

It was like $100 enrollment and $16/month. Every office visit is free, free routine shots. Discounted other vet services and medication that is not a "routine shot".

Vets can be expensive that's for sure, we like our vet at the Petsmart in Burleson. The petsmart plan is pretty cool! (Of course, I'm not paying for it so it's all good, that's a wife's bill )
Old 03-13-2007, 06:16 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by TX_SS
Go to a feed store or like a farm and ranch store and ask them. A feed store in Ft. worth called Russells Feed will give you the stuff and even a syringe for like 20 dollars. Its a all in one. one container with dry powder in it and the other with a liquid. you get the syringe and pull the liquid stuff out and inject it in the dry container, shake it up, get it out with the same syringe, pull the skin up on the pups back of the neck, stick it in, push down the plunger, pull it out and rub the spot for about 30 seconds and your all done. My dogs have never gone to the vet and the last pit bull lived like 18 years.
Old 03-13-2007, 09:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Petco usually has a low-cost vaccination day I think once a month (or at least at the local one here they do).. I think it was like $25 for heartworm, bortella (?) and some other one. The people administering the vaccinations were liscenced vets as well, so you know they are legit. We've been taking our dogs there every 4 months and they're healthy as can be
Old 03-14-2007, 01:16 PM
Has Unresolved Sales

I have 2 pitbulls and do the shots myself.. You can buy them at pet meds for 6 bucks.. The only vet shot they get it the rabies one
Old 03-14-2007, 01:21 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by luda0840
I have 2 pitbulls and do the shots myself.. You can buy them at pet meds for 6 bucks.. The only vet shot they get it the rabies one
Got pics of yours?
Old 03-14-2007, 02:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by GADIB
IF YOU TRUST YOURSELF.. enough to give them shots yourself,

you can ususally pick them up at any tractor supply, or feed store. I do it myself. But then again, Im going through vet school, and have worked in clinics since I was 16 lol. But its really really easy. And its about 12 bucks. But you cant do rabies.. you have to get that done at the vet..

Good luck!!
I have given shots to previous cats I've had. It is very simple. But I took my dog to the vet, and I think it was $200, part of that was medication we had to buy because she was having some skin allergies though.
Old 03-14-2007, 03:50 PM
TECH Apprentice

PARVO before anything else. I had to put down a stray puppy I took in. I spent hundreds on that little guy, and cleaned up after it (it destroyed my house) and then I had to put it down. PARVO, especially before spring is offiicially here.
Old 03-14-2007, 09:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by PMCSPIDER
PARVO before anything else. I had to put down a stray puppy I took in. I spent hundreds on that little guy, and cleaned up after it (it destroyed my house) and then I had to put it down. PARVO, especially before spring is offiicially here.
YES!! I have spent well over $1000 on my 2 puppies. It was mainly the parvo. I couldn't put my little baby down though