Muscle Cars of the 60's and 70's

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2007, 12:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I want to say there was a buick or olds that was in production for a very short window that may have been a factory non dealer toyed with car that ran 13s. I saw it on some stupid show deep in the night once but I did not think to remember what it was. It is something most people would know if they saw but not that it was any faster than other 70s muscle cars. I do think it was a early 70s olds or buick though. Drat! If only I had been paying more attention. It was not a 442, it was something more obscure model wise but very similar in construction.

EDIT: Got it. GSX. Mid 13s stock.

Specs are here:
http://auto.howstuffworks.com/buick-muscle-cars.htm
Old 07-06-2007, 01:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

http://www.musclecarclub.com/main.shtml

69 1/2 440-6 Bee
Old 07-06-2007, 02:01 PM
12 Second Club

My dads was a TH400/455CI/12 Bolt car. He said back when he 1st got it him and his buddies took their to a track down in the Valley and he ran 13.90's@99-100 all day. He said his buddies Chevelle SS 454 was running 13.70's@101-102, which was also a TH400/12 Bolt car. But with those HUGE motors the gains came in much bigger bunches, add a cam/manifold/full exhaust/gears and some tires and your in the bottom 12's. The stock gears/tires where the main factots holding those old cars down.
Old 07-06-2007, 06:35 PM
TECH Apprentice

Default This is pretty well correct

Originally Posted by Gold Z
Ifyou are talking about the cars you could walk into a dealership and buy, not the super expensive, exotic, and never seen on the street cars such as the Motion, Yenko, and COPO cars then the answer is almost none of them. The cars were too heavy and the tires were crap. Even my 70 HemiCuda wouldn't run 12's stock. My 68 SS396 Chevelle only ran 15's stock. My 67 GTX was good for very high 13's. Probably 95% of the muscle cars at the time were 14 second cars or slower. Only a handful were capable of running 13's stock. With a few simple mods and slicks we were able to get a few of them in the 12's and still be street cars. Cars with automatic transmissions were much slower than the 4-speed cars. You sat high in the cars back then. The shifters were normally about 18" tall with throws of up to 10" between the gears. Surprisingly most of the cars were sold without positraction rearends. The engines in almost all the cars were large and cammed for torque. The shift point on my 440 375 hp GTX was only 5000 rpm. With tons of torque and very narrow, rock hard tires trying to get off the line was really tricky. You could spin the tires at almost any speed with a simple downshift. The suspensions were really soft so the cars twisted during hard acceleration. A straight line launch was almost impossible. They were a handful to drive but that is what made them so much fun. My present Camaro is much faster than those cars but isn't even half as much fun to drive. Tell your boss he is full of crap.
There was 3 cars that were pretty good...
The Dodge 440 6-pack was a very strong car.
The actual 426 Hemi in street form was not good at all. But you could get the equipment across the parts counter to make it BAD.
The Chevy chevelle with a 396/427 was pretty good.
The Pontiac GTO w/ 421 was bad machine.

Still in all the times were not great off the showroom floor.
But it was a great time....
Vette

PS- In my day I ran a dodge funny car called the OUTLAW. It had the 10% engine setback, Altered wheelbase, fiberglass bumpers,doors,hood and decklid. The metal body had been acid dipped to cut weight. It had a straight axle frontend. The engine was built/blue printed by me was a 430 CI hemi. It had a Hilborn injector,Vertex magneto, Isky .590 camshaft, all internals was forged and bought across the Dodge parts counter. It was classed then as a C/Altered.
We installed a clutchflite transmission built by Art Carr. It had pushbutton shifter. 4.88 dodge rearend. Best time ever was 9.99 @ 137mph. We were protested many times as the record for C/Altered was 10.52 when we first started racing the car. We could stay fairly well close to the record. It was a good time for us when we were doing this. IT WAS FUN. YOU DID NOT HAVE TO SET IN LINE FOR 2 hours to make a pass.

Last edited by vette; 07-06-2007 at 06:59 PM.
Old 07-06-2007, 10:05 PM

Default Big and Fast

I'll throw in from the "I was there,almost a geezer" point of view. I never witnessed a 12 second, stock pass. This was partly because nobody tried for very long before they put on headers, slicks and gears. Street tire technology was not unlike trying to get rocks to grip on marbles. You know, marbles....those round glass things us geezers used to shoot with our thumbs while kneeling on the ground. I don't think anyone has mentioned this, but track conditions weren't any better than tires, not like the starting lines of today you can't walk across without leaving your shoes behind.

The nearest I witnessed to a stocker going 12's was my buddy Bob in his '65 Impala SS, 425 horse 396. It came with 4.10's. His sole modifications were a pair of dumps on the stock exhaust and a Hurst shifter. He smoked 'em all the way through low, shifted at 7,200 (!) and went 13.15 a couple of different times. It was an amazing car and probably an exception in the realm of GM engine building.

That's my story.... .....steppin' down.
John A.
Old 07-07-2007, 03:20 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

66 Cobra ran 12's...I think.

There were some factory race car Mopars and some 427 camaros and vettes that ran 12's too.

Quick Reply: Muscle Cars of the 60's and 70's