What's the best way to invest up to $50K?

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2007, 08:03 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

JPMorgan Private Bank - Managed account, no loads, annual expense fee, periodic rebalancing, professional management, institutional funds, proven track record
Old 05-05-2007, 08:06 AM
TECH Cry Baby BOSS APPROVED!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

WWW.TROWEPRICE.COM These guys have served me well. Call them and explain your situation. They will steer you right with no pressure to invest now.
Old 05-05-2007, 10:38 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Shackleford
Well, right now it's in a 12-month CD at 5.25%, I believe.
That's gay! I own Nvidia stock and it's up over 17% in less than 2 months. I bought it shortly after the market had its correction at the end of February.

Even my mutual funds are up over 7% since the beginning of the year.
Old 05-05-2007, 10:47 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Tootall
a money market account will do 7% +
That's a load of ! The best money markets are paying 5.2-5.3% and it fluctuates. The average right now is in the mid 4s.

Vanguard prime MM is one of the best and most consistant out there. I think it's has a 5.1-5.2 yield right now.

My trading cash is in Fidelity cash reserves and it's at like 4.93% last I checked.

The S&P 500 has yielded over 11% annual compounded returns since inception. Even with the really bad years in the market, that's still the average over time. Most mutual funds don't even keep up with it, which is sad b/c we pay the $$ manager a fee to beat the S&P and it often does not happen.

IMO, money is flowing into the large cap companies right now. European stocks or funds would be a good play right now. I think Utilities and Financials are a good play also. I was telling everyone back in the middle of summer to buy Apple stock...now it's up almost 100% !! Many of my clients have been blessed by that deal.
Old 05-05-2007, 10:59 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by bmxer8699
grand mother just sold their house off 1488 for 220k and they got it for 97k 7 years ago. land is cheap and would be a great place to invest.

last i checked there just puttin up tons of houses
That's good, but she really only did about 12.5% compounded a year on that deal.

I sell funds that have way outperformed that in the last 7 years. It's not hard to do...just suck it up and put the money in the market. Equities are underpriced right now. Consider the P/E ratios of today verses the mid 90s (before inflation ran out of control). Stocks are cheap. Bonds and commodities are in line right now, but the market has still not fully recovered from 6-7 years ago.

I still think the Fed is going to raise rates one more time this year...probably early summer. So, look for a correction in the market again like we had at the end of Feb. It will recover though. I'm guessing the S&P will be around 1620 by the end of the year and the Dow at 14250.
Old 05-05-2007, 11:09 AM
11 Second Club

I think you guys are missing a key point. It's his dad's retirement money and he is going to retire in 10 years. He needs to be in a low-risk environment. At his age, he needs to keep that money, not lose it in the market. Invest in bonds, MMAs, and CDs. I would consider real estate as high-risk and something to avoid as well.
Old 05-05-2007, 12:33 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Casper9T9
I would consider real estate as high-risk and something to avoid as well.
I tend to agree. Many real estate experts feel that real estate is on a "bubble" right now that could burst at any moment. But that depends alot on location. I don't see anyone losing money on land in Magnolia.

Plus, he needs to be able to pull money out if he needs to which is hard to do when you have it tied up in real estate. But if he plans to use the land to build a house, it may not bad a bad idea.
Old 05-05-2007, 12:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Put the money as avilable cash to pay for gas....we're expectring $100+ per barrel of oil which equates to $5/gallon.
Old 05-05-2007, 12:59 PM
Banned

Or you can put the money in oil service companies such as Halliburton (ticker symbol: HAL) or Schlumberger (SLB), KBR, etc etc because right now they have more work than people do it. I get calls from recruiters all the time. These companies are going to make some serious money the next few years. Stocks like this are risky though, maybe not good advice for someone getting ready to retire.

Last edited by 1320FEVER; 05-05-2007 at 01:07 PM.
Old 05-05-2007, 05:34 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 01ArcticSS
How about GM stock?? Oh, wait... I forgot - they're taking losses...

Ford Stock?? that's right, they suck too.

Ask your dad how he feels about the yen...
Actually, if you bought $50k in Ford stock, you could make a killing if you do it right. I've been watching and have noticed some interesting trends, but you would need at least 20g's imo to make it work. Here's how to do it.....
Get on an online trading site where your first x amount of trades are free. Buy $50k worth of Ford when they hit as close to $7 as you think they'll get. Then, the next day when they hit $8, sell. With 50 grand invested, you would make approximately $3k to $5k if the stock only goes up 50 cents a share. You could do that about 10 or 15 times before you had to pay anything. But then you could just switch to another online trading site for free. It sounds risky, but that's how traders make their living. It's called day trading.
Old 05-05-2007, 05:35 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 1320FEVER
Or you can put the money in oil service companies such as Halliburton (ticker symbol: HAL) or Schlumberger (SLB), KBR, etc etc because right now they have more work than people do it. I get calls from recruiters all the time. These companies are going to make some serious money the next few years. Stocks like this are risky though, maybe not good advice for someone getting ready to retire.
SLB sucks. The whole industry hates them right now. Halliburton's doing ok, but I wouldn't buy them right now if I were you. Trust me. But if you catch a major operator at a relative low, it would be a good steal. Marathon is the popular pick right now, but they're having major problems on a lot of their wells. Again, trust me on that one. BP, Chevron Texaco, and Exxon Mobil are never bad choices in the boom. Especially Exxon Mobil, because they spend so much on R&D. When a boom like this hits and the market demands an alternative, they'll be able to deliver.
Old 05-05-2007, 06:10 PM
TECH Resident

I sold Ford a couple of weeks ago for a small profit. Bought it in the mid 7s, sold it in the low 8s. Not a ton of gain, but it happened over a 3 week period...so I can't complain.

Energy stocks tend to be cyclical, so I'd be careful about investing now unless you're going for the long haul. They tend to peak in summer and hit lows in late winter...you sort of missed the boat on that one.
Old 05-05-2007, 08:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

used enzo
Old 05-05-2007, 08:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Reznor
used enzo
Cars are not investments! especially "newer" ones.

If anybody considers their LS1 as an investment, they need some SERIOUS education...
Old 05-05-2007, 08:29 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by pdanrichey
That's good, but she really only did about 12.5% compounded a year on that deal.

I sell funds that have way outperformed that in the last 7 years. It's not hard to do...just suck it up and put the money in the market. Equities are underpriced right now. Consider the P/E ratios of today verses the mid 90s (before inflation ran out of control). Stocks are cheap. Bonds and commodities are in line right now, but the market has still not fully recovered from 6-7 years ago.

I still think the Fed is going to raise rates one more time this year...probably early summer. So, look for a correction in the market again like we had at the end of Feb. It will recover though. I'm guessing the S&P will be around 1620 by the end of the year and the Dow at 14250.

i wish theyd lower the rates so i could play the 2 yr note
Old 05-05-2007, 10:40 PM
TECH Cry Baby BOSS APPROVED!

Originally Posted by Splitz

If anybody considers their LS1 as an investment, they need some SERIOUS education...
I have been saying the same thing. Especially to the young kids.
Old 05-05-2007, 11:19 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Nine Ball
I buy musclecars at good prices and sell them for market prices. Usually a nice % gain, around 15-20% if you shop right. Plus, they are more fun than land or stock since I can drive them too
How exactly does that work? You mean old school cars and fix them up? Or you just shop around?
Old 05-06-2007, 09:26 AM
TECH Addict

Real estate. It's been going great for me so far.

Last edited by ulySSes; 05-06-2007 at 09:31 AM.
Old 05-06-2007, 10:06 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by LT1wannabe
It's called day trading.

If I had more time and money I'd do day trading - like you said, you can make a KILLING on some of these companies....
Old 05-06-2007, 01:05 PM
"All Motor 9 Second club member"

Originally Posted by 1320FEVER
Not anymore!

Just kidding man..

PS - Thanks for the Borlas!

I just caught that.lol.

Thanks for filling the hole back up