Texas guys and gals, I need some help.

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2007 | 08:47 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by BLK85
Im orginally from the Sioux Falls area, I lived on a acreage near Humboldt.
Cool, I grew up just across the border into Iowa; used to hang out in SF all the time. Anyway, I actually live in the Clear Lake area of Houston, by Johnson Space Center. It is pretty nice. There are lots of engineering/IT jobs down in this area. Whoever said unemployment down in this area is non-existent for tech people seems to be right; they are always hiring. GL with your decision.
Old 05-15-2007 | 08:49 AM

Thumbs up

Houston is much better!!!
Old 05-16-2007 | 08:26 AM
TECH Addict

'good area' all depends on how much you want to spend on a house
Old 05-16-2007 | 10:13 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by BLK85
Also like I asked in my first post what are some good places to live in Houston, Dallas, San Antonio?
If you want to go oil, PM me your info... I got a few friends in some pretty decent places.
Old 05-16-2007 | 11:50 AM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

We need more info.

1. Are you and your buddy going to be room mates?
2. How much can you both afford (combined) for rent or home purchase?
3. Single, married, kids or not?
Old 05-16-2007 | 12:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Nine Ball
We need more info.

If you and your buddy are married, go to Austin
Old 05-16-2007 | 01:25 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by imma_stocker
If you and your buddy are married, go to Austin

Yea right, try Dallas for that one man. The only other city with a higher gay/lesbo population is San Fransisco.....
Old 05-17-2007 | 01:34 AM
12 Second Club

haha no we arent married, if that was the situation maybe San Fransico would be better.

Ok he kind of backed out now. Turns out he was kind of drunk when I talked to him about it, and you know how drunk people are. I still want to, I have wanted to for a while, just need to grow some ***** and do it.

Originally Posted by Nine Ball
We need more info.

1. Would have been.

2. Depends how much I could make. Looks like the cost of living is similar to what it is here, but you guys make more. I would say between in the 500-650 or so neighborhood. Like I said, it all depends on how much money I could make. Since I still want to even though he backed out all I need is a one bedroom unless someone needs a room mate.

3. Single no kids. Just a young single guy with no ties except all my family is from the upper mid west. Thats the only thing holding me back right now.

Also should I be worried about Hurricanes? I know its a chance you take living by the ocean. Whats everyones view on Hurricanes?

Last edited by BLK85; 05-17-2007 at 01:39 AM.
Old 05-17-2007 | 02:27 AM
TECH Regular

If hurricanes worry you, move more inland... but really, Houston is far enough inland if you ask me...I actually look forward to hurricane season... actually some decent surf when we have one in the gulf
Old 05-17-2007 | 08:11 AM
Staging Lane

I wouldn't worry that much about hurricanes. I lived in FL for 2.5 yrs including the year we had like 6-8 hurricanes actually hit land; unless it hits directly on your town and makes landfall as at least a category 3 or above it isn't an issue. Plus Houston is far enough in land to take most of the sting out of one unless you live in like Galveston or directly on the water. I think you have as much of a chance of getting your crap destroyed by a tornado in SD as a hurricane here. Just my .02.
Old 05-17-2007 | 08:32 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by pinesol_hater
I think you have as much of a chance of getting your crap destroyed by a tornado in SD as a hurricane here. Just my .02.
Thats kind of what I was thinking. About 3-4 years ago there were ton of tornados and one was about 2 miles from my place(lived with parents at the time), actually hit my uncles place. But I guess thats what we have insurance for.

I really want to fly or drive down there to see what the town is like, see if I'd like it, I just need a reason. I better start applying for jobs.
Old 05-17-2007 | 10:20 AM
TECH Fanatic

Once you have a budget figured and location for work, we can help narrow it down a LOT. Houston and DFW are some big places. GL finding the right job