Thinking about purchasing a VW TDI Jetta. New or used?

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2007, 11:53 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Forteen3GT
this is completely false. it has been proven that putting 93 octane in vs 87 octane is complete hogwash. Unless you are running more timing or have severe issues such as heat etc. there is not benifit to running higher octane. Fact. Oil Companies promote the use of higher octane, they also lobby the auto industry to use higher octane gasoline. Now if you plan to romp on the car and not let it shift every 3k rpm (where cars conserve gas) then that is a totally different story and the higher octane is a wise choice.

Dont buy into this Premium Unleaded BullShit! keep the car under 3k rpm and the car will perform exactly the same, giving stock timing etc.

Now if I had a tuned LS1, you wouldnt see me being caught dead putting 87 octane in and shifting the car over 4k rpm.
I have proved in my car that #1 Preimum is REQUIRED (gasmileage and miles per tank), AND the car RUNS better.

AND

#2. That my car #1 HATES 10% ethanol AND only wants Exxon gas from one place that has NO ethanol.

So, the premium is NOT hogwash.
Old 06-08-2007, 05:24 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
The LS1 has knock sensors and the PCM is programmed to retard timing when knocking is detected.
my comment was geared towards those who are not driving an ls1 or manufacturer recommended premium car...... yet I also have read that even if the manufacturer recommends premium.... premium is only needed to prevent KR etc.

You can run regular in a premium car if it has no detectable knock, usually performed with a scan tool and you drive the car under 3000 rpm.

That is a fact. Too safe can cost you money.

some say better safe then sorry as well. I dont believe in this theory... call me a gambler.
Old 06-08-2007, 05:26 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Splitz
I have proved in my car that #1 Preimum is REQUIRED (gasmileage and miles per tank), AND the car RUNS better.

AND

#2. That my car #1 HATES 10% ethanol AND only wants Exxon gas from one place that has NO ethanol.

So, the premium is NOT hogwash.

your car is likely modified... if it is the car in sig.... my comment was not directed towards that type of vehicle.

FYI, My wife's GTP while stock as well as my Grand Am GT w/ a 3.4 LA1 gained about 20 miles a tank with good gas. When you have good gas the car runs on a different table in the PCM.

Heads up.
Old 06-10-2007, 09:13 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 274 Likes on 238 Posts

Originally Posted by Forteen3GT
my comment was geared towards those who are not driving an ls1 or manufacturer recommended premium car...... yet I also have read that even if the manufacturer recommends premium.... premium is only needed to prevent KR etc.

You can run regular in a premium car if it has no detectable knock, usually performed with a scan tool and you drive the car under 3000 rpm.

That is a fact. Too safe can cost you money.

some say better safe then sorry as well. I dont believe in this theory... call me a gambler.
That may or may not be true for some engines but since this is ls1tech.com I only refered to that model. LS1 engines will lose both performance and mileage when run on midgrade gas - let alone regular. That's regardless of the "quality" of the gas. In my experiment with midgrade I used only Shell or BP/Amoco gas and yet I could feel the difference in peformance and the loss of gas mileage was significantly greater than the gain from the lower price. Yes...the car will run without damage on lower octane fuel but you don't save money and you lose the performance that is the reason most of us drive these cars.

BTW, with the possible exception of small "Joe's Gas" type stations that buy bottom of the truck leftovers, all gas is basically the same. The differences come from the additives used by name-brand companies that are left out of unbranded gas. Those additives are added at the local terminal or sometimes even mixed in the delivery truck - the base gasoline is all the same. (There is one exception - Amoco premium is refined an extra step to make it clear.) I work for a major gasoline jobber so I am somewhat familiar with what goes into your gas tank.