Conley's Performance: Hidden charges

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2007, 02:48 PM
LS7 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Damn, those guys are ********. I've had similar **** happen to me but not to that extent. Live and learn man : \.
Old 06-07-2007, 02:49 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

shop fees are just a way for a shop to recover some of the cost of doing the business they chose to do. with the way pricing has become and customers always wanting the cheapest price its a way to lower the advertised price but not lose money on the deal. most shops do charge a shop anymore. but most big shops/chains have a max for shop charges. 50$ for shop fees seems excessive. 20-25 wouldnt seem to be out of line.
Old 06-07-2007, 03:17 PM
12 Second Club

never been there so dont have an opinion, but just thought Id throw this in
CONleys
Old 06-07-2007, 03:28 PM
11 Second Club

they gonna give their side of the story?
Old 06-07-2007, 03:33 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by JMBLOWNWS6
Usually disconnect the motor mount and a screw jack
Word !!! thats why shops charge extra for installing Kooks but worth every penny.

B
Old 06-07-2007, 03:38 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My install shop is $10.00 per labor hour or $50.00 which ever comes first. My chassis shop is $50.00 per $1000.00 labor regardless. The difference is I dont charge for bolts in the chassis shop. I'm not going to take this anymore off topic. I shouldnt be even trying to explain my prices.

225-343-9029
Old 06-07-2007, 03:38 PM
Tenured Member

Originally Posted by jimmypop13
Maybe I'm wrong and this is normal pricewise now but I just thought I would mention it. I went to Conley's to have some parts put on my Z28. I only got a quote for the headers which I was told would be $400 which I thought was normal. Now I may be wrong but at every other place I've been to, installing headers means removing the stock exhaust & spark plugs, then installing the headers. Not here, they charged me $400 for the header install, $75 to remove my stock exhaust, & $40 to install my new spark plugs, which is all stuff that is normally included from the other places I've been to. I know on my WS6 I was charged $350 at Madman & Co to take off my stock exhaust, install new headers, y-pipe, catback, & install my new plugs & wires
I REALLY should have gotten a quote on everything first because I got charged $240 for the drill mod, $344 to install my new shocks,& $320 for my poly motor mount install. Again maybe these prices are normal these days but when I modded my WS6 5 years ago, prices weren't even close to that. Was I ripped off cuz it feels like it. I won't be going there again

-Chris
Chris,

If you felt ripped off or had any questions about the bill I wish you would have contacted us personally. If would like for us to go over each individual line item on your bill; please feel free to come by and sit down and talk with us. Thank You for your time; and hope to talk with you soon.

Jeff McBride
Office manager
Chris Conley
Shop Foreman
Old 06-07-2007, 03:45 PM
8 Sec Tuner

Originally Posted by Strini SS
Kooks on a F-Body are a bitch as well.... Driverside ain't no joke

B
Ding...Ding...Ding...

Kooks are not easy to install on F-Bodies or C5's....
Old 06-07-2007, 03:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by fasstls1
Chris,

If you felt ripped off or had any questions about the bill I wish you would have contacted us personally. If would like for us to go over each individual line item on your bill; please feel free to come by and sit down and talk with us. Thank You for your time; and hope to talk with you soon.

Jeff McBride
Office manager
Chris Conley
Shop Foreman
I'm sorry, I just don't see the point. I posted my experience so it wouldn't happen to anyone else, that's why I didn't call. Obviously, you think the prices are fair. There is nothing to go over.
-Chris
Old 06-07-2007, 03:59 PM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Tough Crowd, Tough Crowd.
First did you ask them about those charges when you picked up the car for an explanation? Did you call them when you noticed it and ask them to provide some explanation? Could it have been a simple mistake? You should always first give them an opportunity to correct a problem before whining about it on the internet. It is always the worst when an upset customer never says a word but then calls the BBB or now goes straight to the internet. For any increase in price from a quote they should call you prior to notify you. I am a little unclear about they x pipe issue. Did they do some exhaust work for the headers?
Now looking at Conley's. Conley's has been around a long long time and hasn't lasted from screwing customers. If you look at the list of sponsors that are performance shops how many have been around 20 years? They haven't lasted this long by screwing customers. Are you upset about anything other than the price? Was the quality poor? Did they mess up your car? They have stood the test of time and have paid their bills to suppliers otherwise they wouldn't be in business for this long. Anyone care to list the shops that have come and gone or had problems with in the past? Maybe they charge a premium for their service, I don't know. But don't compare them to some shadetree who doesn't pay rent, insurance, taxes, etc. Other shops may charge less for many different reasons but it doesn't help them any by undercutting each other.
Now lets look at the bill. First off it really screws shops when customers supply their own parts. Their business model is dependent upon marking up parts to stay in business. If you bring your own parts then the price for labor should go up. If you don't agree with that then you haven't been in the business. It doesn't appear you purchased many parts from them. Those that you did were pretty cheap when I look at the price for the master cylinder and fluids.
You seem to only pick out something you feel they overcharge you on. What about the other items on the bill? Call goodyear, firestone etc and get a quote for a coolant flush, brake fluid flush, computer scan, r&R trans etc. I'm betting that Conley's will be more in line. I know they are low on the flushes. I think you need to look at the total bill and determine if it is fair or not. You are upset for the charge to hook up the scanner for $45 when you didn't have a code. You stated you had a low RPM misfire. First thing most shops do will be to hook up a scanner. Some shops do that for free while others charge up to 99.95.
Now the always controversial shop supplies. I am on the fence on this one. I always hated seeing shop supplies charged on a ticket. I had a dealer charge shop supplies for scanning a computer. I talked to the service writer about it and he said they have a standard percentage they charge on every ticket. I think they should tell you up front about shop supplies. Just a pet peeve of mine but I certainly understand shops charging for it.
I can tell you I don't envy anyone in the auto repair biz. I was in the automotive bizp for 5.5 years and never made any money. Most people have no idea how hard it is to make a living owning a shop. My hats off to anyone who is successful at it for the long term. Especially with the new age of customers who don't understand that you have to make a profit.
Old 06-07-2007, 03:59 PM
LS7 Member

Thats how I felt when similar **** happend to me. It's amazing when you have to tell somone or explain to somone that they are ******* you...
Old 06-07-2007, 04:09 PM
SEB
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by LS168Camaro
First did you ask them about those charges when you picked up the car for an explanation? Did you call them when you noticed it and ask them to provide some explanation? Could it have been a simple mistake? You should always first give them an opportunity to correct a problem before whining about it on the internet. It is always the worst when an upset customer never says a word but then calls the BBB or now goes straight to the internet. For any increase in price from a quote they should call you prior to notify you. I am a little unclear about they x pipe issue. Did they do some exhaust work for the headers?
Now looking at Conley's. Conley's has been around a long long time and hasn't lasted from screwing customers. If you look at the list of sponsors that are performance shops how many have been around 20 years? They haven't lasted this long by screwing customers. Are you upset about anything other than the price? Was the quality poor? Did they mess up your car? They have stood the test of time and have paid their bills to suppliers otherwise they wouldn't be in business for this long. Anyone care to list the shops that have come and gone or had problems with in the past? Maybe they charge a premium for their service, I don't know. But don't compare them to some shadetree who doesn't pay rent, insurance, taxes, etc. Other shops may charge less for many different reasons but it doesn't help them any by undercutting each other.
Now lets look at the bill. First off it really screws shops when customers supply their own parts. Their business model is dependent upon marking up parts to stay in business. If you bring your own parts then the price for labor should go up. If you don't agree with that then you haven't been in the business. It doesn't appear you purchased many parts from them. Those that you did were pretty cheap when I look at the price for the master cylinder and fluids.
You seem to only pick out something you feel they overcharge you on. What about the other items on the bill? Call goodyear, firestone etc and get a quote for a coolant flush, brake fluid flush, computer scan, r&R trans etc. I'm betting that Conley's will be more in line. I know they are low on the flushes. I think you need to look at the total bill and determine if it is fair or not. You are upset for the charge to hook up the scanner for $45 when you didn't have a code. You stated you had a low RPM misfire. First thing most shops do will be to hook up a scanner. Some shops do that for free while others charge up to 99.95.
Now the always controversial shop supplies. I am on the fence on this one. I always hated seeing shop supplies charged on a ticket. I had a dealer charge shop supplies for scanning a computer. I talked to the service writer about it and he said they have a standard percentage they charge on every ticket. I think they should tell you up front about shop supplies. Just a pet peeve of mine but I certainly understand shops charging for it.
I can tell you I don't envy anyone in the auto repair biz. I was in the automotive bizp for 5.5 years and never made any money. Most people have no idea how hard it is to make a living owning a shop. My hats off to anyone who is successful at it for the long term. Especially with the new age of customers who don't understand that you have to make a profit.

I think the ticket speaks for itself & more words then any post or words you can type or how you want to word it.

IT IS WHAT IT IS

Last edited by SEB; 06-07-2007 at 04:31 PM.
Old 06-07-2007, 04:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by LS168Camaro

Okay, first off, I didn't whine about what happened. I stated what I was charged and said I screwed up for not getting an exact quote ahead of time.

Second off, they already said the prices are right in their response.

They did nothing with the x-pipe, I stated that.

There are only headers on my car, and the passenger one is buzzing on something, I need to check that out. Also, the harness for the passenger rear o2 sensor was just pushed up next to the tranny because two days later, it fell down and started draggin the ground so I had to fix it. So yes, if you count a ruined harness as messing up my car, then they did.

I wish they would have said it would cost money when I asked them to check the computer

Also, I didn't compare them to some shadetree mechanic

I think they should also tell you that the labor rate goes up if you bring in your own parts, IF in fact that's what they did. And why would I bring up the other things on my bill if I thought the prices were fair?

Last edited by jimmypop13; 06-07-2007 at 04:47 PM.
Old 06-07-2007, 05:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by fasstls1
Chris,

Jeff McBride
Office manager
Chris Conley
Shop Foreman
I'd want to go over the $240 drill mod

I got a clutch installed for less.
Old 06-07-2007, 05:36 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by MADMAN
I had to comment on the shop supplies Elite. $50.00 aint much. Look at it like this. You have to use some type of rust lubricant for the bolts, anitsieze on the plugs, dielectric grease on the wires, shop towels, hand soap, and other assundary items. I am not going to comment on the rest of the bill but the shop supplies seem right.
Agreed, that is typical. There are a few shops that charge $75 for supplies. My dads place charges $40.
Old 06-07-2007, 06:22 PM
10 Second Club

The third line down from the top right says "X-PIPE/REMOVE OLD SYS"
Just ignore the X-PIPE part because they never touched it. They were going to take it to an exhaust shop to put it on but the exhaust shop told them over the phone that they wouldn't work on a car without catilytic converters. Also, I didn't say anything about the other charges on here because they seemed reasonable, although $45 does kinda sound high to check my computer. I had a low rpm misfire when I came in that I thought was due to an old sparkplug & that's exactly what I told them. I didn't know they would charge to plug in & look. I don't know why it says check codes, I didn't have any. The other stuff I had done was fluid change, a textralia clutch install, & the tranny was pulled so SixSpeedsInc could come pick it up.
Word to the wise...... not all shops are honest. I would not have paid the bill.

Fortunately TRT and SQR in Dallas Fort Worth are both very honest.

I would never do business with Conleys Performance Plus. Hell even Hutto's Performance Plus has better customer service!

515.00 for a header install? Hell.... SQR put my Headers and Cam in for under 700.00 iirc, with new valve springs to boot! TRT did the drill mod for less than 100 bucks, the put in a new master after it did not fix the problem. 240.00 for the drill mod is ridiculous. They where seriously taking advantage of you..... Jiffy Lube anybody?

You paid the bill..... they are going to stick by the charges, they will likely come up with some excuse as to why they added fees to remove the manifolds and put plugs back in the car.

Last edited by WizeAss; 06-07-2007 at 06:36 PM.
Old 06-07-2007, 06:24 PM
10 Second Club

My car is goin to Late Model Racecraft next week

Steven Fereday has a good reputation... I would check his shop out.
Old 06-07-2007, 06:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Forteen3GT
Hell even Hutto's Performance Plus has better customer service!
Now THAT I agree with! At least he doesn't overcharge!!!
Old 06-07-2007, 06:40 PM
TECH Addict

There's a good reason you never made any money in the automotive business, your clueless. Most shops don't want to carry parts, it's called overhead plain and simple they make their money on labor. Simple mistake, ain't nothing simple about that bill but it is a mistake. Why would he want to go back and have the shop that so obviously overcharged him blow smoke up his ***? Here's tip for you, buy a clue.

[QUOTE=LS168Camaro] Could it have been a simple mistake? It is always the worst when an upset customer never says a word but then calls the BBB or now goes straight to the internet. First off it really screws shops when customers supply their own parts. Their business model is dependent upon marking up parts to stay in business. If you bring your own parts then the price for labor should go up.
Old 06-07-2007, 06:47 PM
LS7 Member

Originally Posted by Elite_Hot_Rod
Why would he want to go back and have the shop that so obviously overcharged him blow smoke up his ***?
No **** right. I love the response from the shop too... To save face they should just mail him a check.

Quick Reply: Conley's Performance: Hidden charges