What exactly is diplomatic immunity?????????????

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2007, 01:58 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What exactly is diplomatic immunity?????????????

LIke the title ask's What exactly is diplomatic immunity?????????????????????
hearded on speeders it's a show on Court TV about people's reactions when they get pulled over anyways in one case a guy refuses to sign a ticket because he said he had diplomatic immunity and the host on the show says that if the guy did have diplomatic immunity the cop could be in trouble, but the guy was bluffing so I really wanted to know what it means
Old 06-08-2007, 02:11 AM
TECH Apprentice

Foreign bigwigs get it. It's there to help save countries from the embarrasment a diplomat might cause them. Someone else can probably elaborate a little bit more, I don't like the law personally.
Old 06-08-2007, 04:19 AM
TECH Resident

watch family guy. peter does a song about it..
Old 06-08-2007, 11:11 AM
TECH Resident

Basically you cant get aressted or something but im just stating the obvious.

I heard it on a diplomats cd.

here is the wikipedia def.

Diplomatic immunity is a form of legal immunity and a policy held between governments, which ensures that diplomats are given safe passage and are considered not susceptible to lawsuit or prosecution under the host country's laws (although they can be expelled). It was agreed as international law in the Vienna Convention on Diplomatic Relations (1961), though there is a much longer history in international law. Many principles of diplomatic immunity are now considered to be customary law.
Old 06-08-2007, 11:16 AM
That's what she said...

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Our own legislators can't be arrested/ticketed/stopped/etc. if they're on their way to vote on something. I think I read that somewhere, but I've been wrong before.
Old 06-08-2007, 11:38 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

our elected officials do not have diplomatic immunity in the usa. its for diplomats like ambassadors of an embassy. when he is posted in germany for example he has diplomatic immunity. meaning most any crime he can do and they cannot prosecute him. he could be expelled and face charges in the usa or the home country and revoke his immunity and then he is free for any charges
Old 06-08-2007, 02:25 PM
That's what she said...

Originally Posted by silver01z06
our elected officials do not have diplomatic immunity in the usa. its for diplomats like ambassadors of an embassy. when he is posted in germany for example he has diplomatic immunity. meaning most any crime he can do and they cannot prosecute him. he could be expelled and face charges in the usa or the home country and revoke his immunity and then he is free for any charges
I understand that OUR people don't have D.I. here, I'm just bringing up another point. Our elected officials have a small level of immunity and it only holds for if there is something to be voted on at that time and they need to get there.

I'm just wondering if what I heard was true, does someone know what I'm talking about?
Old 06-08-2007, 03:26 PM
Launching!

^yes, that is true. Congressmen ect. cannot get in legal trouble (to an extent) if congress is in session and they on on their way to the building or somewhere directly related.
Old 06-08-2007, 05:25 PM
TECH Apprentice

A lot of times, diplomatic immunity refers to something specific. It's similar to getting immunity when you testify in court. Yeah, there are certain things you can't get nailed for that have been predetermined (directly related to the case), but if you just happen to bang a 10 year old on the way home from the courthouse, the boys in blue aren't gonna turn a blind eye. If you get pulled over for something like speeding and you have diplomatic immunity, it usually doesn't matter. Take your medicine and go home.
Old 06-08-2007, 08:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

I know "someone" who works in a hotel...well one night there was a disturbance in the front drive, some foreign guy was causing a **** load of trouble, next thing you know he goes up to one of the floors and gets naked! well they take him to the parking garage and go to his car to retrieve his wallet...this guy was not cooperating at all so they call the cops to have him arrested, next words out of his mouth are, "i have diplomatic immunity" so the cops get there, he checks out and they just take him to his room...true story! i think he was from some European country im not sure
Old 06-08-2007, 08:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Chadder
^yes, that is true. Congressmen ect. cannot get in legal trouble (to an extent) if congress is in session and they on on their way to the building or somewhere directly related.
Its true, they can speed all they want, this applies to judges as well, thats why thy have special plates that say "state judge" if they're on their way to court they cant be stopped, and if they are, they just lie and say they are late for court.-straight out of a judge's mouth
Old 06-08-2007, 08:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Watch Lethal Weapon II. Danny Glover revoked D.I. from that South African guy. Permanently.
Old 06-08-2007, 09:38 PM
TT-TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Blue's_Z28
Watch Lethal Weapon II. Danny Glover revoked D.I. from that South African guy. Permanently.
The whole time I am reading it I was thinking the same thing lol!