need some help

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2007, 12:29 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default need some help

i know this does not go here but i think ill get some faster feedbak here.

background info:
i was taking a potential buyer for my car on a ride and he asked my to punch it so i did. car ran good and pulled fine, i coasted for a while and took an exit. i got about two miles down the road and came to a stop sign. at the stop sign the car really started to miss bad at idle and stumbles from a take off. at idle you can really smell unburnt gas. (cam only car)

i replaced all of my plugs and wires and it still is missing bad. also it still smells very rich at idle. i have no clue what it could be, mabey a bad coil or something?

also the car is throwing no codes and on the live dash the spark jumps around.

any help or input is greatly appreciated.
Old 06-10-2007, 06:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

mods? tuned? recurring symptoms?
Old 06-10-2007, 09:02 AM
On The Tree

mods: cam and full bolt-ons. MTI tuned
the problem just started to happen recently. i did run a timing light on the plug wires and got no spark on one. i took it on and off and made sure it clicked, and it showed no spark on the light. so i think that coil may have died? i tryed swapping it with another coil and it still didnt work but the swapped one did. so im leaning towards a dead coil. i still have no ses light and its not throwing any codes on efi flash scan though?
Old 06-10-2007, 02:10 PM
On The Tree

ok update all coils are fireing and still the car runs like it has a huge misfire, i went over all plugs and wires and everything is good. forgot to say in my first post that the car also has a clank that gets louder with rpm.

i drove the car around the block and it feels like it has no power at all. took of my oil filter and cut it open, no metal at all in filter or oil. i decided to remove the passanger valve cover because that is the side all the noise is coming from, all rockers were ok and no pushrods are bent.

now im thinking it could be a bent valve, im not sure how a car would run with a bent valve though. im done messing with it today though.

i appreciate any help or input from you guys.
Old 06-10-2007, 02:32 PM
TECH Resident

Do a leakdown.
Old 06-10-2007, 03:25 PM
TECH Junkie

Sounds like an O2 sensor to me. That's what mine did. Idled very rough, strong smell of fuel, and stumbled on takeoff. I had G-Force check it out and they showed random misfires up and down one bank of injectors. Replaced the O2 sensor on the passenger side header and it leveled right out for a few weeks, until the driver side O2 died. This was right after I had headers installed and they re-used my old O2 sensors (at my request) to save me a few bucks.

I'd try that first. It's an easy (and relatively cheap) fix.

-Mike
Old 06-10-2007, 04:13 PM
That's what she said...

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Check all the fuses, I had one blown and it shut down all my passenger side coils.
Old 06-10-2007, 11:05 PM
On The Tree

thanks for the replys guys. im going to try the o2's next. blur any idea witch fuse it was?
Old 06-10-2007, 11:37 PM
That's what she said...

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Forward most fuse box, top left if you're standing beside the fender. It ran really smooth at idle, but the driver side header tubes were luke warm. This is how I finally fingered it out.