Roadside Emissions Testing Machines

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2007, 08:53 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They're always on highway entrance ramps thus forcing you to pass it if you want to get on the highway there. Or, if you're like me, I just skip that entrance and go down to the next one. They typically have them in Lewisville at the southbound Main St. exit and the North bound Bus. 121 exit
Old 06-12-2007, 09:02 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

do they have a thing across the road that you drive over? they must have somthgin like that so that they can get a sample before your long gone
Old 06-12-2007, 09:05 AM
On The Tree

when i drove a 18 wheeler the rear plate was unreadable i would ACCIDENTALLY get to close with the trailer and knock the stuff over than haul *** its been a couple years and no knocks on my door! lol
Old 06-12-2007, 09:55 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Morbid
You'll know it when you see one.

I passed one the other day and I floored it. They can kiss my ***. Cam, LT's, no cats, 3" dumped duals
I guess we should all wait patiently for when you come back and post about how you got a letter in the mail from the state.
Old 06-12-2007, 10:19 AM
TECH Fanatic

LOL, post the letter up haha. But wat it has is an optical scanner on each side, I guess like a laser that reads the smog level or something.
Old 06-12-2007, 10:33 AM
TECH Fanatic

LOL, post the letter up haha. But wat it has is an optical scanner on each side, I guess like a laser that reads the smog level or something.
ahhh, that makes sence. I was thinking it has a sniffer of some sort. a sniffer would not work very well for somthing liek this.
Old 06-12-2007, 12:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

probably just measures a change in the air or something
Old 06-12-2007, 09:42 PM
On The Tree

They had one up the entrance to 360 on the trinity blvd entrance headed south last week. they just have one of the black hoses laying across the ramp. thats the second time its been there in the last 3 months
Old 06-12-2007, 09:47 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by willyss01
They had one up the entrance to 360 on the trinity blvd entrance headed south last week. they just have one of the black hoses laying across the ramp. thats the second time its been there in the last 3 months
Thats not it. I think those are just to measure traffic patterns. These mobile stations have a truck there and equipment set up, orange cones and all that stuff. Looks like a big ordeal.
Old 06-12-2007, 10:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by WS6NIGHTMARE
Thats not it. I think those are just to measure traffic patterns. These mobile stations have a truck there and equipment set up, orange cones and all that stuff. Looks like a big ordeal.
yea and optical monitors on both sides and a camera in the back
Old 06-13-2007, 05:27 AM
TECH Fanatic

There is one usually sitting on the onramp to North bounch 360 @ Brown Blvd.

I heard a rumor that coasting through or turning off your engine while passing one could cause a ticket as well....
Old 06-13-2007, 08:14 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Splitz
There is one usually sitting on the onramp to North bounch 360 @ Brown Blvd.

I heard a rumor that coasting through or turning off your engine while passing one could cause a ticket as well....
Shar ya did lass... I'll believe dat when me ***** tarns purple and smells like rainbow sharbert...

Old 06-13-2007, 08:24 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by pdanrichey
Shar ya did lass... I'll believe dat when me ***** tarns purple and smells like rainbow sharbert...

Old 06-13-2007, 09:36 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by pdanrichey

LOL..
Old 06-13-2007, 05:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

DPS Begins Remote Emissions Testing

Vehicles commuting into Dallas, Tarrant and Harris counties will soon be tested for excess pollutants as they pass by roadside detectors in those counties.

The Texas Department of Public Safety will implement the "Gross Polluter Identification and On-Road Testing" component of the Texas Motorist's Choice Program in early October.

"This required component enhances the tailpipe emissions testing program already in place in Dallas, Tarrant, Harris and El Paso counties," said Major Ricky D. Smith of the Texas Department of Public Safety. "It is also one of the best examples of the state's pragmatic and common sense approach to reducing mobile source emissions in Texas."

The Gross Polluter Identification and On-Road Testing component of the Texas Motorist's Choice Program is intended to provide cleaner air for Texas citizens and reduce pollution in areas where smog levels exceed federal health standards. The program also reminds citizens to properly maintain their vehicles, which leads to better fuel economy, longer engine life and fewer mechanical problems.

Instead of expanding station-based tailpipe emissions testing to the nine other ozone non-attainment counties (Denton, Collin, Brazoria, Chambers, Fort Bend, Galveston, Liberty, Montgomery and Waller), Texas will use on-road testing to focus on vehicles from those counties that commute in to Dallas, Tarrant and Harris counties and are grossly violating air quality standards. Vehicles registered in Dallas, Tarrant, Harris and El Paso counties that are identified as gross polluters also will be subject to this program component.

Gross Polluter Identification and On-Road Testing is a non-invasive technique that involves sampling the exhaust of vehicles as they pass on-road detectors. The devices are located in and connected to vans that are strategically parked along roadways. While vehicle owners may be aware of the presence of devices, they are not required to stop or change their driving habits for the test.

Austin-based Tracor Aerospace, Inc. was awarded the contract to deliver a total service package that includes gross polluter identification and on-road testing of approximately 700,000 vehicles. Tracor designed the system using tunable diode laser technology that will sample the exhaust gases of a vehicle as it travels by sampling devices. The system will further determine the presence of certain harmful pollutants, the amount of those pollutants and how the levels of the pollutants relate to the typical emissions status of the sampled vehicle.

"The registered owner of a vehicle identified as a 'gross polluter' will receive a notice that will instruct them to present the vehicle for a verification test at one of more than 2,300 certified emissions testing facilities in the non-attainment counties," Major Smith said. "After the verification test, the vehicle owner may be required to seek necessary repairs to bring the vehicle into program compliance, and present the vehicle for a re-test to obtain an emissions inspection certificate. Failure to comply with the requirements of the notice is a criminal offense."

"The registered owner of a vehicle identified as a 'gross polluter' will receive a notice that will instruct them to present the vehicle for a verification test at one of more than 2,300 certified emissions testing facilities in the non-attainment counties," Major Smith said. "After the verification test, the vehicle owner may be required to seek necessary repairs to bring the vehicle into program compliance, and present the vehicle for a re-test to obtain an emissions inspection certificate. Failure to comply with the requirements of the notice is a criminal offense."
Old 06-13-2007, 05:32 PM
TECH Resident

^^^^^^^^^^

Screw that stuff above this post. If I get a ticket I am just going to do what many of yall do to pass emissions anyways... slip the guys some $..

or.. rofl.. Put a lawnmower engine in the bed of my truck and run the gases out a false tailpipe? =P

-Lurius
Old 06-13-2007, 06:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

The only difference here is, once they read that your car failed, or is polluting, they are going to send you a letter, you have to go to THEIR certified emissions testing facilities and then if you dont pass, they will give you a certain amout of time to get the vehicle fixed before you get a retest, but then the retest has to be done at their facility. Kinda sucks, because most people have certain places they get hooked up at.
Old 06-13-2007, 06:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

will receive a notice that will instruct them to present the vehicle for a verification test at one of more than 2,300 certified emissions
Or it could be anywhere.
Old 06-13-2007, 06:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Well fk, TX DPS is making it harder andharder for me to take my car anywhere, if and when Houston does this ****, anytime I have to take the Z to Houston it will be on a Trailor for sure, im damn sure keeping it registered in Orange County for sure,(No emissions testing here) if all else fails, I'll just buy another Y-pipe and have it fitted with Cats
Old 06-13-2007, 06:59 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by GreatWhiteZ28
Well fk, TX DPS is making it harder andharder for me to take my car anywhere, if and when Houston does this ****, anytime I have to take the Z to Houston it will be on a Trailor for sure, im damn sure keeping it registered in Orange County for sure,(No emissions testing here) if all else fails, I'll just buy another Y-pipe and have it fitted with Cats
Check post #7 buddy. Its been happening here in Houston.

Quick Reply: Roadside Emissions Testing Machines