Texas DOT to Install Speed Cameras

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2007 | 10:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Inspector12
Your an idiot if you think like that you sound just like a politician! You are using the same BS to justify ******* the american people out of their hard earned money. We pay for the police and we will pay for these chicken **** camera's also. If you sit there and tell me that 5mph over the limit is something worth talking about??? Bull ****. The cops don't patrol neighbor hoods very much anymore they are busy answering domestic calls etc... Trafic tickets used to mean something, now they are just another fund raiser for the cities and TXDOT! If everyone on the Fwy etc.. is doing 10mph over the posted speed limit is that hurting anything???? These camera's will just cause more problems for people and generate large amounts of cash for the cities and Txdot. It won't stop speeders. If you didn't have so many cops out trying to give tickets to meet quota's (SP?) raise money then they could be patrolling also so it is all about the money!
Well, thank you for the personal attack. My turn!

^^ So, if everybody starts to murder people because "everybody else does it", does that make it ok?

Everybody will end up in jail.

How do you propose catching speeders? Why have a speed limit at all? AT that point, why have ANY law? Going over the speed limit is against the law, so, what you are really saying that it is OK to break the law (speeding, or insert other laws). Or, do you want an anarchy where there are NO laws and everybody just does what they want? Obviously, you don't think on that deep of a level, just your own little world. And will bitch, whine, complain, and moan when you get CAUGHT BREAKING the law. That's fine, keep breaking the law, but don't bitch when you get caught! This is just another "avenue" to catch people "breaking the law (i.e. speeding, running red lights, thieves). I don't see people bitch about 7-11's that get knocked over and they catch the criminals by using CCTV? Theft is a law as well remember.

Get off your high horse.

If you REALLY think it's only for "Fund raising" then that's your problem.

LEt me ask you something, do you VOTE? If you haven't voted, then you can't bitch about ANY decision that the cities makes because you haven't participated in the process.

Instead of complain ing about it, (like everybody else has), why don't people attemtp to come up with SOLUTIONS for the problem (i.e. speeding) instead of only complaining about it. This is a democracy, but don't expect immediate change, but it could happen.

Now, if you have voted, you need to vote that person out. Simple as that. But don't bitch, complain, whine, moan and say "Well, everybody else does it", won't go over real well. And that just shows immaturity as well. It's called owning up to your mistakes and taking responsibilites for your actions instead of "BUT SIR, HE WAS SPEEDING TOO!" or to the judge "THE CAR IN FRONT OF ME WAS SPEEDING AS WELL!" It won't matter.

PERSONAL RESPONSIBILITY for actions is what this country needs, quit trying to blame EVERYBODY else because you screw up! (i.e. Paris Hilton).
Old 06-11-2007 | 10:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Personally I think this will be a bad bad bad thing for TX. 5 mph over?? I mean we are the only state to have a speed limit of 80 and one of the first to move it up to 70. Sure it might catch more speeders but how many of those people will pay the fines? Its just going to be a vicious circle.

Lets face it everybody speeds. I know I usually go about 7-9 over when Im taking long road trips. Is putting in cameras the way to stop it?? Who knows.

Here is a good question though. How long will it take for the tickets to pay off the camera system we paid for in the first place?
Old 06-11-2007 | 10:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Personally I think this will be a bad bad bad thing for TX. 5 mph over?? I mean we are the only state to have a speed limit of 80 and one of the first to move it up to 70. Sure it might catch more speeders but how many of those people will pay the fines? Its just going to be a vicious circle.

Lets face it everybody speeds. I know I usually go about 7-9 over when Im taking long road trips. Is putting in cameras the way to stop it?? Who knows.

Here is a good question though. How long will it take for the tickets to pay off the camera system we paid for in the first place?
Old 06-11-2007 | 11:01 PM
Teching In

as it is i see cops just sitting in two cars talking to each other, i see cars running through schools zones and no cops to pull them over, i see cops sitting in their own cars collecting overtime watching construction areas while parked with their lights flashing....i dont see cops doing what they are suppose to be doing...not all cops are like this, but i do see them doing nothing...Im not trying to put down cops, but sometimes its just a waste of tax payers money...why dont they put more cops patrolling school zones, cops pulling red light runners, and etc. i may be rambling but the system is all screwed up...democrats and republicans are not the same as the ones from yesterday.
Old 06-11-2007 | 11:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Old 06-11-2007 | 11:10 PM
TECH Addict

I don't understand. WE control the ******* government, not the other way around. If we don't want those damn cameras up, then they're not going up.
Old 06-11-2007 | 11:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Old 06-11-2007 | 11:30 PM
Launching!

I really dont know what to think of these damn things, I will agree i do speed and i dont think its fair that a camera catches me unknowingly rather then a police officer. But should we be pulled over and notified at the time. What if it is a medical emergency? Id rather have a police officer take time to tell me how dangerous it is to speed and learn some sort of lesson for myself and others rather then recieve a bill in the mail only hurting my bank account. What happend to the days of life lessons and direction for younger generations from idols and parents, and hate to say it but police too. I hate to say it but they do protect me from some dumbass ricer flying by me almost hitting me. The cameras will cause more warrants an less officers to enforce them.
Old 06-11-2007 | 11:33 PM
TECH Resident

speed cameras in Texas won't last, its a matter of time before people start taking shots at them...
Old 06-11-2007 | 11:54 PM
TECH Senior Member

In the city I can maybe understand because its just some places where you shouldnt speed(areas with a lot of pedestrians). On the other hand its basicly a computer, and computers cant used discretion(sp) like a cop can/would.

Look at the big picture, do you honestly want less cops on the hwy? The stretch of hwy 6 betwene hempstead and college station is pretty much empty and dark at night. God forbid something bad happens (accident/mechanical issues/ect.) id like to know that sooner or later a state trooper will pass by.
Old 06-12-2007 | 05:43 AM
TECH Senior Member

Soon they will have cameras in restrooms to ticket those who use too much toilet paper to wipe their ***.
Old 06-12-2007 | 05:47 AM
TECH Fanatic

Well, in the UK (where they started really), if you want to contest the camera you can have your day in court.

You bring up "Medical Reasons". Very simple, the camera has a time/date stamp, if you can prove WHY you were speeding for "medical reasons", you can take a receipt from a parking pass, receipt from the hospital that shows where you were going and WHY. Say for example your wife was preggo, and @ 10pm you blew through a red light and got nabbed with a speeding camera on the way to the hospital. You babay was born 10:10pm becuase it was a last minute thing, the judge would dismiss that because you can PROVE WHY you ran the red light/speeed camera.

There are avenues around the speed camera they aren't perfect. And in the UK (i lived there 5 years in London where they are everywhere), I would say 50% of the time, the speed camera was incorrect, uncalibrated, not checked regurally.

Oh, and one more thing on the speed camera thing. 80% of the "Speed Camera's" in the UK are EMPTY! AS IS IN NO FILM!!!! You'll just see a bright flash warning you that you went over the limit. VERY FEW of the "camera's" are even operational. It's kind of like an empty cop car on I-20 WEstbound after 287 in the afternoon, you THINK there is somebody in there, and SLOW DOWN, then you approach it and realize that there isn't anybody in there. SCARE TACTIC...and it works! Everytime.

All is not lost with speed camera's, it's gonna happen, just like red light camera's were fought.
Old 06-12-2007 | 08:18 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Inspector12
Your an idiot if you think like that you sound just like a politician! You are using the same BS to justify ******* the american people out of their hard earned money. We pay for the police and we will pay for these chicken **** camera's also. If you sit there and tell me that 5mph over the limit is something worth talking about??? Bull ****. The cops don't patrol neighbor hoods very much anymore they are busy answering domestic calls etc... Trafic tickets used to mean something, now they are just another fund raiser for the cities and TXDOT! If everyone on the Fwy etc.. is doing 10mph over the posted speed limit is that hurting anything???? These camera's will just cause more problems for people and generate large amounts of cash for the cities and Txdot. It won't stop speeders. If you didn't have so many cops out trying to give tickets to meet quota's (SP?) raise money then they could be patrolling also so it is all about the money!
Splitz would you agree you were outperformed by Inspector12?

Furthermore. I will be installing a little ******* roll door that goes over my license plate and on the outside says, "**** YOU" when rolled down. Look that one up Johnny Law.
Old 06-12-2007 | 08:51 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by BlackHoleSunSS
Splitz would you agree you were outperformed by Inspector12?

Furthermore. I will be installing a little ******* roll door that goes over my license plate and on the outside says, "**** YOU" when rolled down. Look that one up Johnny Law.
Nope, don't think so. Conspiracy theroies are a waste of time/reading.

Did you read my response? Or just "assuming"?
Old 06-12-2007 | 08:58 AM
TECH Resident

Oh no...here we go again. Another friendly factual thread turns ugly
Old 06-12-2007 | 09:08 AM
TECH Fanatic

hey, nothing wrong with a friendy discussion right? as long as it doesn't resort to name calling...
Old 06-12-2007 | 10:07 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Splitz
hey, nothing wrong with a friendy discussion right? as long as it doesn't resort to name calling...
No you're wrong, and inspectors right!

Now and here with that nonsensical/non-justifiable BS.
Old 06-12-2007 | 10:19 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Black2001z06
No you're wrong, and inspectors right!

Now and here with that nonsensical/non-justifiable BS.
wowzers
Old 06-12-2007 | 10:51 AM
Launching!

This is a democracy
No, we are a Republic

I believe this is mainly a funds generating effort. Doing 5 mph over in rural freeways is not a large safety risk, not one that warrants these severe methods.

Why have a speed limit at all? AT that point, why have ANY law? Going over the speed limit is against the law, so, what you are really saying that it is OK to break the law (speeding, or insert other laws). Or, do you want an anarchy where there are NO laws and everybody just does what they want?
There are a lot of laws, enforcement should have some common sense applied - which is where having police officers come in. They can decide how to enforce the laws and make judgement calls. This is why they don't write tickets for going 1 mph over - even though it is against the law.

FWIW - i do not want our counrty to turn into the UK where they use cameras to monitor all aspects of life.
Old 06-12-2007 | 10:52 AM
Launching!

I think when ls1techers start fighting, they should race and whoever loses has to stfu for a week and whoever wins doesnt have to stfu and gets to do his/her victory dance