Suggestions for suspension upgrade?

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2007, 10:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Suggestions for suspension upgrade?

I'm just wondering what parts should be replaced? It's an 02 with 80K miles on stock parts. I know. I know! its over due!!!!

I'm def doing shocks, im leaning towards konis but im not sure. i dont NEED a bad *** smooth ride, but i dont want crap either. maybe slp blisteins???

I'm def doing springs, maybe hotchkis, or someting similar, nothing too low, just a 1" drop around, maybe 1.5" in the front. i know slp shocks and drops dont go well so Ima def call sam strano.

At the moment my suspension squeaks like a 70 year-old couple having sex on a rocking chair! I'm guessing this is because the bushings. Does that sound correct?

SO...thats my major concern, what type of bushings should i get? How much?

What else should i consider replacing? Thanks everyone!
Old 06-13-2007, 10:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

my 02 Z has 99k miles and its gonna be another 5 or 10 before i do mine so i hear ya...haha. my rear suspension is so effing loud and creaky sometimes, more so when its cold outside, but i dont think its anything special. sounds like you are wanting to do what i am. i occasionally autox it but i am using it as a daily more than anything.

i suggest strano springs as they are a bit expensive but extremely reliable and drop all the wa around right at 1.25 inches. im doing bilstein HD's / bilstein SLP shocks all the way around simply because i can't afford koni SA or DA shocks. sounds like you are on a good path of callin sam.

i vote strano springs and bilstein HD's and youll be lookin at spending right around 650 ish. (280 for springs and 350 for shocks). im doing mine the end of summer im thinkin. if you do the same setup, shoot me a pm or something so maybe i can observe/help on the install and see the results.
Old 06-14-2007, 08:11 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Bilstein BTS system for $549 delivered

Not a bad price. It's nothing special, but a lot better package than stock.

Prices go up from here ...

If your suspension is squeaking, then you should contact Ryan at UMI and get a set of lower control arms and a PHB. Chances are that is where your squeaking is coming from. Or, you could just clean and lube the stock parts and fix it that way.

Unless you are SERIOUS about handling, don't bother with rod ends or lower/upper A-Arms.

If you want something with adjustable ride heights, I could probably cobble together a parts list of components that would be like the global west fronts. and then get you a matching ride height rear spring. That would probably cost you $700 or so.
Old 06-14-2007, 08:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

mitch..when are you runnin at TWS again?
Old 06-14-2007, 11:03 PM
10 Second Fun Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have 132k on mine and havent touched any spring or shock. I have changed the lcas, phb and put on subframe connectors. Unless they are broke I wouldnt mess with them unless you are lowering the car.
Old 06-15-2007, 10:18 AM
TECH Fanatic

SO what do you think is causing the squeaking?

I would like to lower the car but its not absolutely necessary. My problem is that the squeaking noise drives me NUTS!!!!!
Old 06-15-2007, 11:47 AM
10 Second Fun Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Could just be a bushing? Might try lubricant on the lcas bushings...
Old 06-15-2007, 01:22 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by LS1Aggie09
mitch..when are you runnin at TWS again?
Maybe August.

Racing at Motorsports Ranch - Houston next weekend.