Should I take the job?

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2007, 12:48 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Should I take the job?

As of some of you may know I am going to have a baby in december, right now I am only 18 making $8.14 as a checker at HEB. Well one of my managers found out and told me that they like to take care of their own and offered me a job as a night stocker starting at $10hr. Would it be a good idea to take the job and still be able to go to college in the fall? Basically $200-250 weekly vs $300-350 weekly
Old 06-18-2007, 12:57 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i dont know how motivated you are (no offense meant) but going to school during the day and trying to work through midnight would probably be overload and your grades might reflect it. especially once the baby showed up. but you got to do what you got to do
Old 06-18-2007, 01:00 PM
TECH Apprentice

It all depends on how many hours you take and how you can schedule your classes. Where are you going to school? I've worked and gone to college before. I'm in engineering, so it was very hard. It can be done if you have the motivation and discipline though.
Old 06-18-2007, 01:14 PM
12 Second Club

the shift starts at 10pm and ends at 7-8am
Old 06-18-2007, 01:21 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by streetassasin
the shift starts at 10pm and ends at 7-8am
I think you can do it.

Let say you take 12 hrs. that would be ~4hrs MWF. so you'd have to work for ~10 hrs, 4 days a week? So there'd be some days after work that you could just go home and sleep bc no class. And days you do have class. Its only 4 more hrs before you can sleep again.

not sure if that made any sense. But it might be worth it. and maybe they'll let you "try" it out.

goodluck bro.
Old 06-18-2007, 01:29 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Donohue96M6Z28
I think you can do it.

Let say you take 12 hrs. that would be ~4hrs MWF. so you'd have to work for ~10 hrs, 4 days a week? So there'd be some days after work that you could just go home and sleep bc no class. And days you do have class. Its only 4 more hrs before you can sleep again.

not sure if that made any sense. But it might be worth it. and maybe they'll let you "try" it out.

goodluck bro.
Thanks man I really think I might take it but I need to talk to the GF first
Old 06-18-2007, 01:50 PM
TECH Veteran

I did that for a few months. Worked 11-7 nights and went to class from 8-4 every day. Still managed an A average somehow. Atleast with MWF classes you can catch up on sleep.
Old 06-18-2007, 02:01 PM
TECH Veteran

damn dude those are some rough hours. Id say it would be better off if you look more into another job that pays higher and gives you more mobility. Like i just got a job valeting cars and i love it, im getting 9.65-11 dollars an hour(depending on tips) starting off and they work you pretty good hours
Old 06-18-2007, 02:08 PM
Launching!

I tried this out at a sams club. I worked the same shift hours 12-7 or 8. What i did was schedule my classes so they would start right after i got off of my shift. That way I went straight to school. finished at around noon then slept til 8 or 9 that night. Did whatever homework I needed to and was able to do it .... for one semester. It is a killer and I wouldnt even want to think about it with a kid. A decision you have to make, but personally at your age I would go wait tables. Thats what I ended up doing. Class during the day, tables at night, and time for everything in between. Depending on where you work you can pull down as much as a hundred a night. I regularly averaged about $75-100 a night which equaled out to be about $12-15/hour. Not as much stress, you get to sleep regular hours, and you have time for family and the books. Hope this helps.
Old 06-18-2007, 02:14 PM
TECH Resident

As of some of you may know I am going to have a baby in december, right now I am only 18 making $8.14 as a checker at HEB. Well one of my managers found out and told me that they like to take care of their own and offered me a job as a night stocker starting at $10hr. Would it be a good idea to take the job and still be able to go to college in the fall? Basically $200-250 weekly vs $300-350 weekly
Dude take that ****. Thats what i say but i say that cause i like money but i see that school is more important than a job sometimes well see if they can work with you about your school hours.
Old 06-18-2007, 02:51 PM
11 Second Club

take the higher payin job, then schedule your classes to start in the afternoon. sleep in b/t work and school, then study b/t school and work. it'll be worth it in the end. there won't be any more $$/hr, it'll be salary/year.
Old 06-18-2007, 02:58 PM
TECH Resident

Man, working at night is no freakin joke. Right before our first kid was born, I took a job as an overnight supervisor at K-mart, for the extra money.

I quit after 2 months, 1 month after the baby was born, and I consider myself a night person. It wasn't just hard on me, it was hard on my wife too, esp. since I was never there at night to help out with the baby. I'm not saying don't do it, but you should give it some serious thought, esp. since you'll be going to school.

I agree with what some of the others are saying, try to find something else. The waiting tables idea was a good one. I know serving others can be a real pain in the ***, but at the right restuarant, you can make some great money and have a good time doing it.

Oh yeah, FWIW, IMHO I don't think that manager friend is "taking care of their own", he's trying to fill some night slots. There's a reason why they pay more, it's hard to find people to work those shifts and keep them. Ask him what the turnover rate is for that position. You'll see what I'm talking about.

Good luck!
Old 06-18-2007, 03:01 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Corny40
Man, working at night is no freakin joke. Right before our first kid was born, I took a job as an overnight supervisor at K-mart, for the extra money.

I quit after 2 months, 1 month after the baby was born, and I consider myself a night person. It wasn't just hard on me, it was hard on my wife too, esp. since I was never there at night to help out with the baby. I'm not saying don't do it, but you should give it some serious thought, esp. since you'll be going to school.

I agree with what some of the others are saying, try to find something else. The waiting tables idea was a good one. I know serving others can be a real pain in the ***, but at the right restuarant, you can make some great money and have a good time doing it.

Oh yeah, FWIW, IMHO I don't think that manager friend is "taking care of their own", he's trying to fill some night slots. There's a reason why they pay more, it's hard to find people to work those shifts and keep them. Ask him what the turnover rate is for that position. You'll see what I'm talking about.

Good luck!
Well I have been there for almost 2 years and the same people are there
Old 06-18-2007, 03:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i worked 2 jobs and went to school, worst 2 years of my life but paid off when it was over. only crappy part is all the gray hair i have now.

Last edited by white man; 06-18-2007 at 04:16 PM.
Old 06-18-2007, 03:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

I spent years working rotating shifts ..

the only way to effectively do it without burning yourself out is to do what Texass683 said he did .. go to class straight from work ..

if you are working nights, you have to flip your whole day, or it will bite you in the butt ..

go to bed, get up , go to work .. get off work, do your normal/school stuff, then go to bed.. if you get up, mess around, then go to work, or get off work, mess around, then go to school, it will wear you out ..

plus, by going to school right after work, you will be better off.. or go to school right before work ..

Last edited by Gipraw; 06-18-2007 at 03:26 PM.
Old 06-18-2007, 04:11 PM
TECH Resident

Lay it all out first. That's alot on one plate. I second getting a valet parking job. My friend does that and has a 2 year old. Going back to school in the fall. You just have to be nice and feed people what they want to hear and you get fat tips!
Old 06-18-2007, 04:23 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

You need to find a better job with more pay.
Old 06-18-2007, 05:04 PM
TECH Resident

Well I have been there for almost 2 years and the same people are there

Nevermind.
Old 06-18-2007, 06:04 PM

My sisters boyfriend took a job as a night stocker at Tom Thumb making $11-12/hr and he's in the same situation (their baby is 18mos now) and he's going to school a couple hours a week
Old 06-18-2007, 06:15 PM
Launching!

i beleive in you man!