HowTF do I unclog my ears.

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2007, 09:45 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I called the base. Their apartments are "full" today and told me to call back tomorrow at 630am to try to get a same day appointment. They said I could go to a civilian doctor and they gave me a list of ones I could go to. They were on the other side of SA so it would prob be a 1.5hr+ drive from where I am. So I said I'd call tomorrow morning. I had to talk to an advisor at tx state this morning about my classes. It sucked. I could barely hear what he was saying and I was prob talking loud too. I dont want to leave the house.
Old 06-21-2007, 10:38 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Try the warm water with bulb syringe. Trust me ... it will work. I know the discomfort you are feeling. And you can get an ear infection if you don't get it fixed.

When I had the doc do mine, he used a freaking water pic!

You don't stick the syringe in your ear, just enough to focus the water jet on the edges of your ear canal.

I lean over the bathroom sink, run a couple inches of warm water in the sink, submerge the syringe and get it completely full. Don't want to blow air into the ear. That is a little uncomfortable. I turn my head so that I shooting the water up and the water then drains out of my ear. You might have to repeat this several times. But you will feel the ball moving around.

It doesn't hurt. Keep the water stream pointed on the canal perimeter and not directly in the middle of the ear canal. You are trying to loosen a big ball of wax and have the water move the ball out.

It will amaze you the size of the ball of wax that will come out.
Old 06-21-2007, 10:54 AM
TECH Junkie

ok, this is exactly what the doctor will do if you have impacted wax in your ear:

first.. he'll leave. lol, then a nurse will come in. lol...

shell take a large plastic syringe and squirt warm water into your ear.

1. the water must be warm but not hot. if its hot or cold, you can actually loose your balance sitting there (some people atleast).. LOL. you want it about body temp.
2. dont squirt it hard. dont put it in your ear. (thats how you get impacted wax in the first place.. lol)

you will be sitting normal this entire time.. they'll hold a bowl up to your ear..

what happens is the water comes in, loosens stuff and carries it back out

ive had to have it done twice.. (yea i stick qtips in my ears)

this is exactly what the doctor will do.. not alchol.. not "wax remover".. just water squirting..

save yourself the time/greif and try this... (you'll need someone to do it for you)
Old 06-21-2007, 12:17 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by MrDude_1
ok, this is exactly what the doctor will do if you have impacted wax in your ear:

first.. he'll leave. lol, then a nurse will come in. lol...

shell take a large plastic syringe and squirt warm water into your ear.

1. the water must be warm but not hot. if its hot or cold, you can actually loose your balance sitting there (some people atleast).. LOL. you want it about body temp.
2. dont squirt it hard. dont put it in your ear. (thats how you get impacted wax in the first place.. lol)

you will be sitting normal this entire time.. they'll hold a bowl up to your ear..

what happens is the water comes in, loosens stuff and carries it back out

ive had to have it done twice.. (yea i stick qtips in my ears)

this is exactly what the doctor will do.. not alchol.. not "wax remover".. just water squirting..

save yourself the time/greif and try this... (you'll need someone to do it for you)
Basically exactly what the doc, well the nurse or PA, did to me as well.

But, if by yourself, using the sink method works too. It keep the water from running down your underwear.
Old 06-21-2007, 12:22 PM
TECH Junkie

well y'alls idea seems to have fixed my right ear. My left ear im trying to do the removal wax stuff and then the syringe spraying up. The left ear is what started it all, i dont think my right was as bad.
Old 06-21-2007, 12:49 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,142 Likes on 742 Posts

Yup this has happened to me a number of times, and I used the syringe/bulb with warm water, and it took 2-3 times.

Worst case they will give you drops but they will still do the warm water/bulb thing in the office too.

I can't use qtips at all otherwise it impacts my ears.
Old 06-21-2007, 12:51 PM
TECH Junkie

I got a qtip to see how far it was in my left ear... and i didnt even hit any. Its either far as hell in there.. or im deaf.
Old 06-21-2007, 01:21 PM
TECH Senior Member

Keep working at it ...
Old 06-21-2007, 01:52 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Donohue96M6Z28
I got a qtip to see how far it was in my left ear... and i didnt even hit any. Its either far as hell in there.. or im deaf.
that is probably the WORSE thing you can do.
Old 06-21-2007, 07:31 PM
TECH Apprentice

You should wait to see the doc, you can really mess your self up.
Old 06-21-2007, 08:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

yeah don't stick a qtip deep into your ear.....PLEASE don't. Have someone who can see what's going on do it.
Old 06-21-2007, 09:11 PM
TECH Junkie

I was doing it slow/soft. I dont think I did anything. And ya. Im going tomorrow. I have to wake up at 6:30 to try to get a same day appointment. I can hear out of it. but just slightly. Hopefully its nothing major...
Old 06-21-2007, 10:01 PM
TECH Resident

In the future, whenever you are done in the water put some drops of an hydrogen peroxide/vinegar mix in your ears then drain. It really helps with the chronic wax build up and will always keep your ears clear.

Just a small vile with a dropper, put half/half in it. Guaranteed you will never have that problem again!
Old 06-22-2007, 08:39 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Donohue96M6Z28
I was doing it slow/soft. I dont think I did anything. And ya. Im going tomorrow. I have to wake up at 6:30 to try to get a same day appointment. I can hear out of it. but just slightly. Hopefully its nothing major...
the thing is, you cant feel it. you cant feel it in your ear, and you cant feel it in your fingers.......
thats what makes it so dangerous.... thats why even the doctor wont put anything like that in there.. he'll only look with his eye thingy(thats a technical term... lol) and use water...

what you need to do, if you cant leave it alone, is squirt it with water...

all of the other stuff said here.. from wax remover, to alcohol, to the peroxide above... thats all well and good... and it might be needed, it might not.... but water works wonders.. even if you use that stuff, water will get it out.

btw, remember, you're SUPPOSED to have some wax on everything.. you dont want it squeeky chemically cleaned in there.. so dont worry about cleaning it with any chemical or something.. just eliminate the obstruction with a small stream of water, or have the doctor do it for you.
Old 06-22-2007, 08:52 AM
TECH Junkie

I have an appointment for 10:30. I'll let you guys know how it goes.
Thanks for the help .
Old 06-22-2007, 08:54 AM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,142 Likes on 742 Posts

If you have repeatedly jammed q-tips in there, you might have it impacted.
Old 06-22-2007, 09:03 AM
TECH Senior Member

man, just put down the Q-tips

My G/F also suggested the squirter and warm water. She specializes in this ****. She also said thanks for the laugh lol.
Old 06-22-2007, 09:17 AM
TECH Senior Member

I had to do this after getting back from spending a week in the water My right ear went a little nutso with was production, and was about half plugged (to me, anyway). I could hear fine, but all my high frequency reception in my right ear was basically gone (above ~8kHz). When I got home, I took a 10cc syringe into the shower with me, and repeatedly flushed my ear canal with warm water. Didn't take long to loosen it up, and I hear fine again
Old 06-22-2007, 11:52 AM
TECH Junkie

the dr got peroxide and some special syringe gun and cleared it out<---- just like y'all said... yaaaaaaaaaaaay, i can hear again!!!!!!!!!!!! these past few days have been MF horrible. Thanks for everyones help. I felt like a guinea pig trying everything LMAO.
Old 06-22-2007, 11:53 AM
TECH Junkie

once again.... YAAAAAAAAAAYYYY!!!!!