Question about rolling the fender

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2007 | 10:34 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Donohue96M6Z28
are you talking about my old red z28? I think the paint started to crack bc the paint on the drivers side fender was still "newish". I ended up getting them rolled again later down the road. At maximum altitude, they cut slits all along the fender and then rolled it. They might have just cut it and then hammered it up. Not sure. But it worked good.
Yes your old car, you could be right about the new paint being a factor
Old 10-09-2007 | 07:53 AM
TECH Fanatic

Just did 2 cars using the guys rental tool from Irving.

On the 1st car the guy doesn't care about his paint, taking time, and the wanted them rolled to the max. The paint did crack, but anyone could've predicted that. Even so, you can't notice it unless you get under the wheel well and look for it.

Did my car, used the heat gun, smaller sections at a time, used a little more patience and my paint did NOT crack. Sweet...

Wes

Last edited by WMSuperSport; 10-11-2007 at 11:31 PM.
Old 10-09-2007 | 04:54 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by neodamonkey
What would be the ill effects of cutting the inner fender?
It's a performance MOD! You lose a little weight!
Old 10-09-2007 | 05:51 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 01 Red WS6
I have a fender roller that I used on my car and the results were great. I've done several cars in the area and in some cases the paint did crack. I can't say why on most cars I've done it hasn't but on two cars it's happened. I really feel it's the amount that the fenders were rolled, I rolled mine just enough where the tires wouldn't rub and others the person wanted the fenders rolled further for insurance. In two of those cases the paint cracked. If it were me I would rent a fender roller and roll the fenders, it's easy
he did mine! no cracking or peeling here