Anyone Here Buy or Keep a Totaled Car?

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2007, 12:28 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by irbs
My brother had full coverage insurance on his salvage title 2001 SS.
Was he in TX?
I don't see why the Insurace couldn't give me full coverage with an engine exception or something. I don't like the idea of being hit by someone with no insurance or be in a hit and run. That's where the full coverage is really needed. Hell, it was only 100 bucks a month for full C. That's no big deal at all.
Old 10-27-2007, 03:00 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Like I said I've had and still have full-coverage on my 2002 salvage SS and I live in San Antonio
Old 10-27-2007, 03:51 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by JasonWW
Was he in TX?
I don't see why the Insurace couldn't give me full coverage with an engine exception or something. I don't like the idea of being hit by someone with no insurance or be in a hit and run. That's where the full coverage is really needed. Hell, it was only 100 bucks a month for full C. That's no big deal at all.
Yes we live in dallas. The insurance gave us no trouble on insurance. When he got the car it had been stolen the reason for the salvage title. A couple years later a man ran into him and the mans insurance fixed the car back to perfect even though the car had a salvage title.
Old 10-31-2007, 07:04 AM
TECH Senior Member

According to some paperwork I got there are different types of salvage titles. One is non-reparable which would require Texas DOT notification. There is another which is similar and then the one that I fit in. It's a catagory associated with hail damage or theft and it does not require DOT notification. So I should be good as far as getting the car inspected with headers and such on it.

I'll have to wait and see about full coverage or not as well as if my monthly note goes up.
Old 10-31-2007, 01:36 PM
On The Tree

Same thing happened to me in Lubbock, except it had JUST started raining. Hit the water ::gurgle gurgle gurgle:: then nothing. Got out and the water was up to my knees. Pushed the car UP the exit ramp to get it out of the water, had it towed, etc...

Long story short, flooded my engine up to the manifold through my SLP intake. When I eventually got the water out and engine to turn, I found out the oil had been contaminated with water.

Few hudred dollars later in oil and towing fees, I got it back to 'normal.' Lucky for me I didn't throw a rod or anything. Still worried about my bearings though....
Old 10-31-2007, 02:34 PM
TECH Senior Member

That makes me wonder, how does water get in the oil in a large enough quantity that it makes it noticable? The oiling system is sealed except for the PCV valve.

Thumpin305, has the oil pressure gone down any? Sometimes wear on the bearings will increase the tolerances and that will reduce the oil pressure.
Old 10-31-2007, 03:52 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Your buy back wont be much on a car that old, use the difference and build a nasty little motor
Old 11-01-2007, 12:39 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by BizZzatch350
Your buy back wont be much on a car that old, use the difference and build a nasty little motor
It was $1200 salvage value. You damn right I'm buying it back. The car is fine, just needs a motor.
Old 11-02-2007, 02:07 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by JasonWW
That makes me wonder, how does water get in the oil in a large enough quantity that it makes it noticable? The oiling system is sealed except for the PCV valve.

Thumpin305, has the oil pressure gone down any? Sometimes wear on the bearings will increase the tolerances and that will reduce the oil pressure.

I have NO idea. All I know is that the oil looked like milk chocolate afterwards, but it seems to be fine now.

I didn't notice any difference in oil pressure.

What can I say, my 3.8 is special, haha