What are might rights? Car Towed....

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2007, 06:04 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What are might rights? Car Towed....

I just got a new car off the lot on monday (yday) today i had to go somewhere and it was packed so i parked accross the street at a strip center with multiple stores.

come outside and my car is being towed i get the # on the tow truck and he gives me the # to where it headed to. I call the storage and the b!tch there wont give me any info on it because i dont have plates or a vin #.

All the info is inside the car, including the contract with the vin on it.

Hours later i get ahold of the vin # she says yea we got its gonna be 319 to get it realsed.

Do i have any rights? $319 seems damn steep
Old 11-13-2007, 06:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

tow truck companies get away with murder.
Old 11-13-2007, 06:12 PM
Launching!

i said F it, and i went up there to go pay but the grumpy lady says since the car has paper plates i have to go get some papers notorized.

so there goes more time wasted costing me time at the job. Curse these low life people
Old 11-13-2007, 06:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Why was it towed in the first place?
Old 11-13-2007, 06:29 PM
Launching!

according to the tow truck driver one of the owners from the little shops at the strip center i was at.

I parked on their parking lot and i walked accross the street because the place i was going to had no parking spots open.
Old 11-13-2007, 06:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by CAMAROWITHBASS
according to the tow truck driver one of the owners from the little shops at the strip center i was at.

I parked on their parking lot and i walked accross the street because the place i was going to had no parking spots open.
Do they have "customer parking only" signs?
Old 11-13-2007, 06:34 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by oneBADDz
Do they have "customer parking only" signs?
if they dont have signs. I'd fight it for sure. bullshit.
Old 11-13-2007, 06:34 PM
Launching!

nope, it was a large strip center about 7-10 little stores including a dry cleaners, a deli, and a few other things.

But i didnt notice any signs, i told the wrecker driver i was unaware i could be towed off private property. He replied "if the owner wants you towed then it gets towed because its his parking lot"
Old 11-13-2007, 06:37 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

take pics of the spot now before they paint something thts says customers only...after you get your pics take tit to court
Old 11-13-2007, 06:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Fight it. Also, was it the strip owner, or a person who rents the shop space to run a business out of, that matters as well. Most of those places are just rented out and the people who run a business out of them have no domain over the parking lot, especially if there are no signs.
Old 11-13-2007, 06:40 PM
TECH Regular

Had my car towed from the Greek Fest last year.. There were tons of cars parked on residential streets, there were no "no parking" signs anywhere to be found, but the signs were visible EVERYWHERE ELSE. I was going to fight it as well - I even had my camera, took pics of where the car was towed from, and took pictures of the entire street to show there were no posted "no parking" signs. I even asked the cops working security about this and they said I should fight it.

I ended up paying it as you have to jump through rings of fire and call this person, write a written claim, takes like 6 months to fight, etc. I said F it and paid it also. They make fighting an unauthorized tow EXTREMELY DIFFICULY on purpose. City makes good $ on tows
Old 11-13-2007, 06:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

If it's that hard, pay it and sue the people that called to have it towed. Show evidence that they had no right to because it isn't posted and/or they don't own the property and only rent shop space. Sue the tow company for towing a vehicle without verifying the right to tow. You will win against somebody
Old 11-13-2007, 06:46 PM
TECH Regular

If it's that hard, pay it and sue the people that called to have it towed. Show evidence that they had no right to because it isn't posted and/or they don't own the property and only rent shop space. Sue the tow company for towing a vehicle without verifying the right to tow. You will win against somebody
Good point but it's still a lot of legwork, arguing, and time to spend over $300. It's nice just to get the car back and say F it sometimes
Old 11-13-2007, 06:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

get it out, park in the same spot, wait in car with bat............................ go after store guy lmfao
Old 11-13-2007, 06:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 6THZ28
Good point but it's still a lot of legwork, arguing, and time to spend over $300. It's nice just to get the car back and say F it sometimes
It is alot of work, but without the right to tow, and without the tow driver verifying it, they in effect stole his car and the shop renter was an accomplice
Old 11-13-2007, 08:17 PM
Launching!

I have 90% respect for peace offices because I know they are only doing their job. The rest of the 10 % is what gives their occupation a bad name. On the other hand, I only respect 10 % of the tow truck drivers because they seem to hover around accidents like vultures then rush in with their associated business's auto body shop cards to get your business. The others seem to like to look for a reason to tow your car off even when nobody called them to do it. And then there are a few others that prowl around at 2 in the morning looking for nice cars to hook up too real fast and take off to their chop shops. Then there are the 10 % that actually come and ask if you need any help without trying to charge you a few limbs for something they do out of sincerity.

My feelings for ya bud for getting your car towed off like that, but keep in mind there probably is some kind of clause/contract with store owners and the actual land owners that states they have permission to get cars towed off if it's directly in front of their business.
Old 11-13-2007, 08:35 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Grimlock1968
but keep in mind there probably is some kind of clause/contract with store owners and the actual land owners that states they have permission to get cars towed off if it's directly in front of their business.

thats was i was thinking, and thats cool

but is there a limit as too much much the impoud lot can charge me though?

That crazy old hagg wants $300 + of my hard earner dollars, she was very rude to me on the phone, hung up on me 3 times and then refused to answer my calls.

Its like why should i give my cash to someone that treats me like ****? I mean i know why, BC she has my car but damn this b!tch doesnt deserve a penny from me.

I feel like going there and cutting the chain to the gate and taking my baby home
Old 11-13-2007, 08:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Legally, if you take your car they can't do anything about that, it's your car. They can only get you for the trespassing, which might be mroe trouble than it's worth. I do work for a repo yard and a guy cut their lock and took his car back and they couldn't do anything about the fact that he took his car back. They also couldn't get him for trespassing becuase they couldn't prove that it was actually him that did it. He just "found it back in his driveway" the next morning.
Old 11-13-2007, 08:47 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by CAMAROWITHBASS
thats was i was thinking, and thats cool

but is there a limit as too much much the impoud lot can charge me though?

That crazy old hagg wants $300 + of my hard earner dollars, she was very rude to me on the phone, hung up on me 3 times and then refused to answer my calls.

Its like why should i give my cash to someone that treats me like ****? I mean i know why, BC she has my car but damn this b!tch doesnt deserve a penny from me.

I feel like going there and cutting the chain to the gate and taking my baby home
take your car back. If you are able to get it back, I think it wouldnt be worth their time to "try" to get your for trespassing.
Old 11-13-2007, 09:33 PM
On The Tree

They also couldn't get him for trespassing becuase they couldn't prove that it was actually him that did it. He just "found it back in his driveway" the next morning.
lol...if it was me ill steal it and put it back in my garage for a few days