I just got two tickets in the SS, need advice.

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2007 | 10:10 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by wild thing
I bet its more like a Geo metro. When he was explaining the violation to me he looked back at his cop car and said,"My car is on right now idling and you can't hear it at all, thats how a car should be." I said sir,"your cop car is a basically stock v6 impala, there is a huge difference b/w my performance car and your cop car". I told him that every part on my car was street legal and I would be glad to show him my cats and my full exhaust. He started to get extremely frustrated and told me to sign the ticket and see him in court.
You shoulda told that Horses *** if he gives you a ticket then he better pull over every damn Harley that drives by also
Old 11-21-2007 | 10:27 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Nine Ball
license plate is no longer a fix-it ticket. Bringing a photo of it on your car won't work, I tried it last year at HPD. They just make you pay the fine no matter what now. It was like $75.
.And pay it by mail or credit card over the phone. Save yourself paying for parking, waste of time, rude court house cashiers that think they're doing you a favor..
Old 11-21-2007 | 11:12 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by phantomLT1
You shoulda told that Horses *** if he gives you a ticket then he better pull over every damn Harley that drives by also
Thats funny you say that because when he was talking to me a loud truck drove by and I said, "his car is loud are you going to go pull him over"? He said," I could if I wanted to but im not because im writing you a ticket". Retarded if you ask me.
Old 11-22-2007 | 12:02 AM
TECH Resident

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...t=#post7288464

Got a lawyer and my court date is in January. I'll let you know what happens.
Old 11-22-2007 | 12:34 AM
Staging Lane

http://www.ls2.com/forums/showthread...2506610%2C2508

my story^^^
Old 11-22-2007 | 01:03 AM
11 Second Club

Wanna fight it. . .read this. . .

http://www.maccardi.proboards22.com/...9698003&page=1
Old 11-22-2007 | 01:22 AM
TECH Resident

godamn... time to put on the crappy looking front plate.
Old 11-22-2007 | 04:16 AM
TECH Addict

I got two tickets today
1. Operating a vehicle with out license plate or registration (I dont have a front plate).
2. Muffler Violation

When I asked the cop what a muffler violation was, he said my exhaust was illegal. I have long-tube headers,cats, and gmmg exhaust (all legal products). I said no sir you are wrong my exhaust is legal in Texas and it passes emmisions. He said that doesnt matter because it is too loud. He then told me that it is up to his discrepancy (sp?) if an exhaust is too loud or not. I asked him if he had a deciple (sp?) meter on when he heard my car go by. He said nope and it doesnt matter. I asked him how he is going to fight that in court when it is going by his personal opinion of a cars loudness, it makes no sense at all. Oh and by the way this cop was the biggest a-hole I have ever met in the world. Anyways, what do yall think about this? Have yall ever heard of a muffler violation?
was this in houston or college station? or somewhere else? and did he write it as a **muffler** violation, or an **exhaust** violation? there could be a difference when you try to defend it.....

also, from what i've heard (i don't know for sure though, you'd have to look into it more), there's a complaint form that you can fill out to lodge a complaint against a police officer when you think that they've done something wrong, and it's an automatic 30 days desk duty for them (it obviously has to be related to a specific, documented incident though, you can't just do it just for the hell of it). so if this is true, i'd file that complaint and put that ******* behind a desk for a month.

this comes from a guy i work with, he said he did this to a cop that treated him like a criminal, when he was just trying to keep his bike from getting stolen. he had thrown something at the guy trying to steal his bike and hit him in the head with it, then pinned him to the ground while he waited for the cops to arrive (the neighbor lady across the street called the cops and told them that his bike was almost stolen). the bike was chained up, and the guy trying to steal it had all the tools for busting the lock (freezing it and breaking it off) in his backpack....but when the cops showed up, they tackled my co-worker instead and roughed him all up, and wouldn't even listen when he was trying to tell them that the other guy had all the stuff for breaking his lock in his backpack, and was trying to steal the bike. they wouldn't even look in the guy's backpack or listen to him at all until the neighbor lady finally came out and told them that he was the victim.

so he filed 3 separate reports against the cop at different times (one report at a time), for 3 different reasons in relation to that incident, and ended up getting the cop a total of 90 days desk time. he said that he learned later from one of his cop buddies that other people had also filed the same report against him for other reasons as well, so he had even more desk time.

just be sure to put the front plate back on and bring all the documentation from SLP that your muffler is legal, and you should at least get the muffler part dropped. i'm going to assume that if the cop only put **muffler** violation on the ticket, instead of **exhaust** violation, that they won't even ask anything about the cats being moved and the long tubes being installed.
Old 11-22-2007 | 04:18 AM
TECH Addict

and about the GMMG, didn't some cars come modified by GMMG with that same exhaust when they were brand new, as a separate, street-legal performance package? if so, you can probably get the ticket dropped by that alone.
Old 11-22-2007 | 06:48 AM
TECH Addict

When I asked the cop what a muffler violation was, he said my exhaust was illegal. I have long-tube headers,cats, and gmmg exhaust (all legal products). I said no sir you are wrong my exhaust is legal in Texas and it passes emmisions. He said that doesnt matter because it is too loud. He then told me that it is up to his discrepancy (sp?) if an exhaust is too loud or not.
I can say with 100% certainity you were not stopped due to a question of your emissions. It was for noise. That being said.....I wasn't there and have no idea how loud your car is. What were you doing when he heard your exhaust? You need to check the laws in your state. In NY it is officer discretion and the burden of proof is placed on the operator of the vehicle to show the vehicle is not overly loud.

Anyways, what do yall think about this? Have yall ever heard of a muffler violation?
Yes we write this all the time in my department except in NY it is called inadequate exhaust. I can't say whether this officer was a douche or not since I wasn't there but if you have loud exhaust (no matter if you think it sounds good or not!) you run the risk of getting a ticket. It's no different than the guy who speeds all the time or the guy driving around with no front plate because he doesn't like the way it looks. Eventually you will get caught but why argue? Take your ticket, pay your fine and learn your lesson.

Honestly, most people I have stopped for loud exhaust were cool about and knew damn well their car was loud. As soon as they get approached and asked if they what they are being stopped for they say "yeah, probably my exhaust." And guess what, most of the time they get told to either get it fixed if it's broke or not rip on it through town if it's like your car. The guys that definately get tickets though are the guys like you who start questioning things when they have no clue about the law. Cops don't make the laws, they enforce them. If you don't like the laws in place, write your congressman and get them changed.
Old 11-22-2007 | 10:13 AM
TECH Addict

"Loud" shouldn't be up to an officer's discretion. If that isn't a purely subjective thing, then I don't know what it is. I'm sure there is an objective measure of "loudness," such as a certain decibel level a certain amount of feet away from the vehicle.
Old 11-22-2007 | 10:38 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by TAEnvy
Hate to be a dick but actually your exhaust is illegal if the cats were moved and since you have LTs they proably were but I highly doubt anyone will know that.

Cops sounds like an ***. SHould be able to get it dropped
The first part is correct, my brother is a Tx state inspector of the inspection stations and the rules state if the CATS are moved from the OE location, the exhaust is illegal and will not pass a correct inspection.

as to being written exhaust/muffler, do not think it will make any differance how it is written only how the judge understands
the offence

as to the second, some are/or not,

as dropped, deppends unpone the judge, if he/she upholes the letter of the law, you are hosed,

just my $ .02 Johnny
good luck ps: have same problems
Old 11-22-2007 | 10:47 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by TAEnvy
Hate to be a dick but actually your exhaust is illegal if the cats were moved and since you have LTs they proably were but I highly doubt anyone will know that.

Cops sounds like an ***. SHould be able to get it dropped
Thats what I thought about the Long tubes.
Old 11-22-2007 | 11:00 AM
TECH Apprentice

The cats were on the car at the time he received the tickets. The car was driven on the Power Tour this year and without the cats on it was too loud. I spoke to the officers supervisor and expressed my concerns about his officer issuing two BULLSHIT tickets to Patrick and the officers attitude. Patrick is not a smartass to police and was just accepted into A&M two hours prior to recieving the tickets so he was in a good mood.I believe if I had been driving the car that officer would have never pulled ME over.
Alan
Old 11-22-2007 | 11:09 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by 02Z28LS1
was this in houston or college station? or somewhere else? and did he write it as a **muffler** violation, or an **exhaust** violation? there could be a difference when you try to defend it.....

also, from what i've heard (i don't know for sure though, you'd have to look into it more), there's a complaint form that you can fill out to lodge a complaint against a police officer when you think that they've done something wrong, and it's an automatic 30 days desk duty for them (it obviously has to be related to a specific, documented incident though, you can't just do it just for the hell of it). so if this is true, i'd file that complaint and put that ******* behind a desk for a month.

this comes from a guy i work with, he said he did this to a cop that treated him like a criminal, when he was just trying to keep his bike from getting stolen. he had thrown something at the guy trying to steal his bike and hit him in the head with it, then pinned him to the ground while he waited for the cops to arrive (the neighbor lady across the street called the cops and told them that his bike was almost stolen). the bike was chained up, and the guy trying to steal it had all the tools for busting the lock (freezing it and breaking it off) in his backpack....but when the cops showed up, they tackled my co-worker instead and roughed him all up, and wouldn't even listen when he was trying to tell them that the other guy had all the stuff for breaking his lock in his backpack, and was trying to steal the bike. they wouldn't even look in the guy's backpack or listen to him at all until the neighbor lady finally came out and told them that he was the victim.

so he filed 3 separate reports against the cop at different times (one report at a time), for 3 different reasons in relation to that incident, and ended up getting the cop a total of 90 days desk time. he said that he learned later from one of his cop buddies that other people had also filed the same report against him for other reasons as well, so he had even more desk time.

just be sure to put the front plate back on and bring all the documentation from SLP that your muffler is legal, and you should at least get the muffler part dropped. i'm going to assume that if the cop only put **muffler** violation on the ticket, instead of **exhaust** violation, that they won't even ask anything about the cats being moved and the long tubes being installed.

He wrote it as a muffler violation. When I looked up muffler violation it said driving a vehicle without a muffler.
Old 11-22-2007 | 11:27 AM
TECH Addict

good, should be easy to get it dismissed, then
Old 11-22-2007 | 11:31 AM
TECH Apprentice

I got two tickets today
1. Operating a vehicle with out license plate or registration (I dont have a front plate).
2. Muffler Violation

When I asked the cop what a muffler violation was, he said my exhaust was illegal. I have long-tube headers,cats, and gmmg exhaust (all legal products). I said no sir you are wrong my exhaust is legal in Texas and it passes emmisions. He said that doesnt matter because it is too loud. He then told me that it is up to his discrepancy (sp?) if an exhaust is too loud or not. I asked him if he had a deciple (sp?) meter on when he heard my car go by. He said nope and it doesnt matter. I asked him how he is going to fight that in court when it is going by his personal opinion of a cars loudness, it makes no sense at all. Oh and by the way this cop was the biggest a-hole I have ever met in the world. Anyways, what do yall think about this? Have yall ever heard of a muffler violation?

sorry if this has already been addressed, but I didn't feel like reading the whole post...
License plate = fixit ticket. mount the plate on the day you show up to court.
exhaust= if it's not a municipality(city) cop. County's typically don't have disturbance type infractions if the car is legal (ie.. cats, muffler etc. ) easy to fight.
chris
Old 11-22-2007 | 11:45 AM
TECH Senior Member
10 Year Member20 Year Member

Damn patricia. That sucks. Fight the court, get a decible reader from your dads shop. (Does he have one?) Anyways that is a huge steaming pile of **** there. Screw that *******.
Old 11-22-2007 | 07:29 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by BigBronco
Damn patricia. That sucks. Fight the court, get a decible reader from your dads shop. (Does he have one?) Anyways that is a huge steaming pile of **** there. Screw that *******.
Grey
Do you admit that you were out performed by Patrick in the first race.
Power Tour 07
Alan
Old 11-23-2007 | 08:34 PM
Teching In

irrelevant post response.....