Physics major with Mechanical Engineering minor

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2007, 09:01 AM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 46 Likes on 19 Posts

hehe, I basically advised you the same way via PM. An engineering degree with a minor in physics is MUCH better for career potential. Most people in the industry would consider an eng degree as the dominant of the two. With an eng degree, you will also be considered more valuable to an employer when compared with guys that just have physics degrees. You should still be able to get the physics jobs if you wish. The eng HELPS that.

Besides, here is some more motivation for you:

Look at the top degrees on the list. I don't see physics mentioned anywhere

http://money.cnn.com/2007/07/11/pf/c...ries/index.htm

Also, keep in mind those are average starting salaries right out of college. Eng degreed people also move up from that baseline pretty quickly in 5-8 years. Six figures in no time.
Old 11-27-2007, 09:50 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

The last big company I was at hired their graduate (electrical) engineers (kids straight out of college who knew nothing) in at $58k/year.
They worked them 40 hours a week and overtime was rare. Not bad for a 23 year old with no experience. From what I heard, they paid slightly below average.
Old 11-27-2007, 10:02 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by -Ross-
The last big company I was at hired their graduate (electrical) engineers (kids straight out of college who knew nothing) in at $58k/year.
They worked them 40 hours a week and overtime was rare. Not bad for a 23 year old with no experience. From what I heard, they paid slightly below average.
There is tons of money right now in our area in the engineering field. Lots of money to be made, I dont see much job security as there seems to be a big lack of dedication from employers and even employees right now. It however is a wonderful time to make some big bucks if your young and you dont mind moving around until you find your exact niche.
Old 11-27-2007, 10:50 AM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

more feedback:
http://au.answers.yahoo.com/answers2...1181636AA92AC2

salaries with PhD in Physics:
http://www.payscale.com/research/US/...Physics/Salary
Old 11-27-2007, 11:15 AM
TECH Addict

Well, the pure physics is for me. I don't want to "sellout" for engineering. I explicitly want to learn Relativity, Quantum Mechanics, and so forth in graduate school, but on the more applied side of things, solid state/atomic/molecular physics interests me the most. At this point, I need to figure out what the best minor is I can take with my physics major to give me more job opportunities. I suppose with a business minor I could get some kind of quasi-technical business jerk job.

Also, with all the required math courses I have to take for my physics major, I could take one more advanced math course and minor in mathematics.
Old 11-27-2007, 11:18 AM
TECH Regular

The smart thing would to do is get your engineering degree, get a bad *** job and then continue with school for what you love doing. That way you are still making a good living and can afford to play with the things that you want to do!
Old 11-27-2007, 11:19 AM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

I have a minor in math, it is basically useless compared to my ME degree

Quick Reply: Physics major with Mechanical Engineering minor