Tundra Vs. Cammed 6.0 Silverado

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2007 | 12:58 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by silver-mod-o
I hope you arent referring to me in that all-encompassing **** talkers statement... I have just stated facts in this thread...

And if you would like to issue a call-out, let me know... I know there's plenty of 4.8 and 5.3 truck in that area I could find to go show you their tail lights. They'd love to... or hell... just let me get my move finished back to Texas. I'll let you know how the little 'ole 5.3 gets it done.
I have raced Bill in my 5.3 work truck which is lighter than most and it wasnt close. It is a quick truck even though mine is a POS.
Old 12-05-2007 | 02:00 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Interesting, no GM on this list:

http://autos.aol.com/article/safety/...03102409990001
Old 12-05-2007 | 02:03 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Nine Ball
Not accurate...Look at the year of the Tundras they are talking about. 2004-2006...Says nothing about the 07
Old 12-05-2007 | 02:33 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 07Sport
Im gonna have to go ahead and disagree with you there (Office Space reference )

I think its pretty impressive in my case, for a 5.7L V8 making 381hp to get 18mpg on 90% city. My 02 GMC with the 5.3 never got over 18mpg on the highway, and was closer to 14-15mpg in the city. Granted it was 4wd, but I never used the 4wd and the added weight would be no more than the Tundra weighs in 2wd trim.

Well unless your chevy had manual hubs you forget about the rolling resistance of contantly turning the all of the front diff parts all of the time. The T-case just isn't locked it. Plenty more to it than just the weight diff.

The only guy I know with a tundra gets no where near the mileage you are talking about. Not calling you a liar, but your might be the exception given the gears and equipment or just have the perfect setup for mileage. This is the case with any manufacturer. You have to compare the exact same setup of each manufacturer to make a legit comparison of mileage.
Old 12-05-2007 | 04:06 PM
Teching In

DumbassBill, Did you not pay attention before making another one of your stupid *** remarks? The post said no GM's on the list, which there was not. It said nothing of the year model on the tundras, no reference made to that. And yes, there was a recall on snapping camshafts.

I belive though, in all of your superiority, you deserve the smartest man in the universe award. You bought a much superior truck, you know more, and get the best gas mileage in your rolling box. I think a city bus has better aerodynamics, but again, because your superior, you beat the laws of physics. Damn Bill, can I shake your hand, possibly get an autograph?
Old 12-05-2007 | 04:47 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by LeadfootDuramax
Well unless your chevy had manual hubs you forget about the rolling resistance of contantly turning the all of the front diff parts all of the time. The T-case just isn't locked it. Plenty more to it than just the weight diff.

The only guy I know with a tundra gets no where near the mileage you are talking about. Not calling you a liar, but your might be the exception given the gears and equipment or just have the perfect setup for mileage. This is the case with any manufacturer. You have to compare the exact same setup of each manufacturer to make a legit comparison of mileage.
I do realize that, but considering the Tundra is 2wd, I couldnt factor that in as a universal in both circumstances. The Tundra does weigh more, so that would at least partially negate the 4wds added negative effect on mileage.

Keep in mind, mine is a 2wd regular cab. I still would expect a GM 5.3 w/ the same setup to get worse mileage by a couple MPG. Also, if all things are going to be fair and balanced, the 6.0 would be the more suited counterpart from GM. I somehow cant see a 6.0 GM reg. cab w/ 4.30s getting 18mpg in the city.

Again, Im in no way discounting how impressive the LS based motors are. I would have strongly considered the nbs GMCs if they had offered the 6.0 in reg. cab trim. I do think credit is deserved and due to Toyota though, for such a strong showing in their first real attempt.
Old 12-05-2007 | 09:39 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 04silverado912
DumbassBill, Did you not pay attention before making another one of your stupid *** remarks? The post said no GM's on the list, which there was not. It said nothing of the year model on the tundras, no reference made to that. And yes, there was a recall on snapping camshafts.

I belive though, in all of your superiority, you deserve the smartest man in the universe award. You bought a much superior truck, you know more, and get the best gas mileage in your rolling box. I think a city bus has better aerodynamics, but again, because your superior, you beat the laws of physics. Damn Bill, can I shake your hand, possibly get an autograph?
ya come to sugarland and Ill be sure to give you one. The point I was making is all the crap talk about the NEW tundra and its not on the list. But ya man come to sugarland and we can meet up and chat.. come on
Old 12-05-2007 | 11:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Billy, why do you keep switching vehicles? Why not just pick one and stick with it? You have got to be losing your *** on resale value every time you trade it in for another.
Old 12-06-2007 | 12:40 PM
Staging Lane

ha ha this thread is hilarious i can't stop laughing at some of these posts. Everybody is always going to have diff opinions and prefences, i own a 06 Tahoe and love it, i owned a X-runner and was the funnest truck i ever had, and now i'm thinking of getting into a Crewmax. I would get bashed in here if i posted some of encounters i had with 4.8, 5.3 and 6.0's with my X-runner but would be a hero on a Toyota forum. All the new Toyota's run decent in stock form, but people don't buy Toyota's for 1/4 mile times. Both GM and Toyota have pros and cons it just comes down to what everybody likes and what the vehicle will be used for.
Old 12-06-2007 | 12:54 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by WildBills Toyota
ya come to sugarland and Ill be sure to give you one. The point I was making is all the crap talk about the NEW tundra and its not on the list. But ya man come to sugarland and we can meet up and chat.. come on
are you e-threathing again?
Old 12-06-2007 | 01:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

This thread is amazing +1 for the comedy value of it
Old 12-06-2007 | 01:56 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by LS1vazquez
Billy, why do you keep switching vehicles? Why not just pick one and stick with it? You have got to be losing your *** on resale value every time you trade it in for another.
Not at all. My SS I sold for $1000 more than I payed for it and my acura I sold it for $500 under what I payed for it. So Im still ahead in the game
Old 12-06-2007 | 02:07 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by just a v6?
are you e-threathing again?
where is that fat kid ethug pic when you need it
Old 12-06-2007 | 02:07 PM
TECH Junkie

Let's add some fuel to the fire!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z8PpZ...eature=related
Old 12-06-2007 | 02:29 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by -Ross-
In Bill and Toyota's defense...

Did you see HOW FAST that Tundra got stuck?? They really are fast!
Old 12-06-2007 | 02:35 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Randy_S
In Bill and Toyota's defense...

Did you see HOW FAST that Tundra got stuck?? They really are fast!
God that new chevy really is ugly..Oh and here is some fuel for me

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_pavX...eature=related
Old 12-06-2007 | 02:59 PM
TECH Regular

I am just giving you a hard time. I actually like the trucks, not to ecstatic about the exterior but it rides great and will hopefully last forever being a Toyota.
Old 12-06-2007 | 04:01 PM
Restricted User

Guys who really use trucks don't waste their time on arguments like this. Being an engineer who works in the field on a daily basis, trucks are a very important tool for me, and just like any other tool, you don't buy the fancy looking one, you don't buy the one with the most advertisements, you don't buy the one with the best statistics...you buy the one that works all the time everytime in any conditions.

There are plenty of demonstrations on the internet showing how fast the Tundra is. There's no argument about that. But at the same time there are even more tests and demonstrations in the real world that show the Tundra's numerous shortcomings. Weak frame, problematic engines, poorly designed drive system...etc. So unfortunately Toyota put all their energy into one component - the engine - and forgot about the rest of the truck.

It is for those reasons that I have yet to encounter a single guy in the field with a Tundra. Most consider it a woman's truck - "fancy and pretty". It looks impressive and goes fast. But it also gets embarrassed when it comes time to do some real work. One of my coworkers actually joked to me, in reference to the ridiculous Toyota commercials - "If one day I find that I need to race towards a canyon through a sliding door while towing 10,000 pounds up a giant see-saw and evading two huge swinging I-beams, i'll get a Tundra. But i'll keep my Silverado for work.".

On a side note - I, personally, have not found the Tundra to be THAT fast. I've informally raced three Tundra "Limited" trucks in a 2006 V-Max equipped Silverado, and the closest any of them got was my rear bumper.
Old 12-06-2007 | 04:06 PM
TECH Junkie

LOL!!! What does that prove?

"Oh, I can pull you backwards on asphalt fellow toyota dealership employee."

That's about as "real world" as their commercials.

Last edited by -Ross-; 12-06-2007 at 04:12 PM.
Old 12-06-2007 | 04:11 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Blakbird24
Guys who really use trucks don't waste their time on arguments like this. Being an engineer who works in the field on a daily basis, trucks are a very important tool for me, and just like any other tool, you don't buy the fancy looking one, you don't buy the one with the most advertisements, you don't buy the one with the best statistics...you buy the one that works all the time everytime in any conditions.

There are plenty of demonstrations on the internet showing how fast the Tundra is. There's no argument about that. But at the same time there are even more tests and demonstrations in the real world that show the Tundra's numerous shortcomings. Weak frame, problematic engines, poorly designed drive system...etc. So unfortunately Toyota put all their energy into one component - the engine - and forgot about the rest of the truck.

It is for those reasons that I have yet to encounter a single guy in the field with a Tundra. Most consider it a woman's truck - "fancy and pretty". It looks impressive and goes fast. But it also gets embarrassed when it comes time to do some real work. One of my coworkers actually joked to me, in reference to the ridiculous Toyota commercials - "If one day I find that I need to race towards a canyon through a sliding door while towing 10,000 pounds up a giant see-saw and evading two huge swinging I-beams, i'll get a Tundra. But i'll keep my Silverado for work.".

On a side note - I, personally, have not found the Tundra to be THAT fast. I've informally raced three Tundra "Limited" trucks in a 2006 V-Max equipped Silverado, and the closest any of them got was my rear bumper.
Thats surprising as Ive seen numerous Tundras locally as work trucks. (07+s)

Also, having owned both I can say, my Tundra would have given my 04 GTO all it wanted in a race.

Quick Reply: Tundra Vs. Cammed 6.0 Silverado