Street racing claims another life.

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2007, 10:23 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No matter what a life has been lost so respect that. Almost all of you have street raced when you were young so why bash these kids? They were just being kids like all of us have been or still are. It sucks to see someone my age lose their life to somthing like this when i know i will be driving in 4 months. RIP
Old 11-29-2007, 10:39 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Take it to the track or be smart...know your surroundings, roads, traffic, ect..

Originally Posted by _Zac
I know, I'm just tired of the news twisting everything into a street race. Makes it hard to even go to the store without getting ten dirty looks and 5 tickets.
+1
Old 11-29-2007, 11:10 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by chargerR/T
sucks what happened but I don't think the other kid should be held accountable for someone else's mistake. He didn't force the other kid to race, they each made the decision to race on there own. Like I said before, sucks that someone lost their life, but if the other kid goes to jail, that will just be wrong IMHO.

Penalties such as jail time are supposed to be deterents to breaking the law. You chose to street race, you get caught you pay the price. If there were no penalties, imagine the chaos that would be on the streets. Street racing is illegal. It is illegal because it is dangerous and stupid. You can't trust people to use good judgment and only do it when it is safe. So, he is not being punished for someone elses mistake, he is being punished for his mistake.
Old 11-29-2007, 11:11 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by quickblade
DAM.. that sucks.. ******* stupid kids dont know how to race...
Not that you should be racing up and down the streets like that.. But it seems its always the teenagers that kill themselves.....

We had same issues bout 9 months ago here in Dallas.. teenagers racing.....
HAVE SOME ******* RESPECT GUY........
Old 11-29-2007, 11:42 PM
TT-TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by LS_Juan
Penalties such as jail time are supposed to be deterents to breaking the law. You chose to street race, you get caught you pay the price. If there were no penalties, imagine the chaos that would be on the streets. Street racing is illegal. It is illegal because it is dangerous and stupid. You can't trust people to use good judgment and only do it when it is safe. So, he is not being punished for someone elses mistake, he is being punished for his mistake.
I hear your grip, but just like Zac said street racing accounts for a VERY VERY small percentage of deaths, so the penalty shouldn't be an outrageous one he was racing not killing the other person. Lets target Drunk Driving. In reality the penalty for that vs the amount of people they kill is Way off.
Old 11-29-2007, 11:46 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Inspector12
I hear your grip, but just like Zac said street racing accounts for a VERY VERY small percentage of deaths, so the penalty shouldn't be an outrageous one he was racing not killing the other person. Lets target Drunk Driving. In reality the penalty for that vs the amount of people they kill is Way off.
If it doesn't involve a lot of people, than not that many people are going to go to jail. You do something that involves another person getting killed, you need to pay. Like I said, a deterent. Nice cars by the way.....
Old 11-29-2007, 11:55 PM
TECH Addict

I don't think he should get jail time. I think he needs to get probation and community service, and lose his license for a while. the way they are charging him with "racing with bodily injury or death" is wrong.

we think the same
Old 11-30-2007, 12:02 AM
Teching In

If it doesn't involve a lot of people, than not that many people are going to go to jail. You do something that involves another person getting killed, you need to pay. Like I said, a deterent. Nice cars by the way.....
So your saying drunk driving doesn't involve another person? I dont think he should get off scott free, but trying to punish him for the kid dying isn't right. They both knew what they were doing when they both lined up and they should have known the consequences. If he hit a pedestrian or something then I would understand but trying to pin the other guys death on him is just wrong.

Btw theres a difference between a deterrent and a gross misuse of power, in this case its the ladder.
Old 11-30-2007, 12:13 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Authrom
So your saying drunk driving doesn't involve another person? I dont think he should get off scott free, but trying to punish him for the kid dying isn't right. They both knew what they were doing when they both lined up and they should have known the consequences. If he hit a pedestrian or something then I would understand but trying to pin the other guys death on him is just wrong.

Btw theres a difference between a deterrent and a gross misuse of power, in this case its the ladder.

I'm just saying that if not many people are street racing and causing accidents, then not too many people are going to go to jail. The whole argument was that streetracing wasn't as big of an epidemic as being reported. What if you were racing and the other guy killed an innocent bystander? Should you be held accountable as well? Slap on the wrist? Probation? If you know that when you race, if something goes wrong you could go to jail, it should make you think. Sure, doing it on a back road poses less of a risk, but it is still your choice and you have to live with the consequences. As far as a gross misuse of power, might be a bit of stretch bud.
Old 11-30-2007, 05:41 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 6THZ28
These dudes probably had little street racing exp.
at ages 16 & 17, it's almost a certainty.....most people at that age don't have enough experience just driving normally, much less driving at high speed.

Originally Posted by SuIcIdAlPoNtIaC
dI bet they both have myspace accounts
and this is relevant exactly.....how?

i'm 31 and have a myspace account
Old 11-30-2007, 08:12 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

I don't think he should get jail time. I think he needs to get probation and community service, and lose his license for a while. the way they are charging him with "racing with bodily injury or death" is wrong.
I agree.
Old 11-30-2007, 10:23 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I'm just saying that if not many people are street racing and causing accidents, then not too many people are going to go to jail. The whole argument was that streetracing wasn't as big of an epidemic as being reported. What if you were racing and the other guy killed an innocent bystander? Should you be held accountable as well? Slap on the wrist? Probation? If you know that when you race, if something goes wrong you could go to jail, it should make you think. Sure, doing it on a back road poses less of a risk, but it is still your choice and you have to live with the consequences. As far as a gross misuse of power, might be a bit of stretch bud.

The point is, you are not making the other person race. That is their choice. Whats next? You're at a party and under age and the guy next to you leaves and DUIs and you are at fault also because you were drinking next to him???

Ok so one young life was snuffed out. Trajic as that may be does it really makes sense to ruin another life with jail time bacause of another person's mistake? I could see lesser penatly as an accessory to a crime, but to go to the length of charging him with the same thing that the guy who caused the wreck woudl have gotten? I smell a scape goat here.

Honestly, the cheaper f-bods get the more of this we'll see. IMO the LS1 is too much for any new driver and parents are dumb for getting or letting them buy these cars. We need liscense based on HP and have more brackets for vehicle size too. Damn people who don't know how to drive SUV's and their big duallys!!!!!
Old 11-30-2007, 12:27 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Greed4Speed
Honestly, the cheaper f-bods get the more of this we'll see. IMO the LS1 is too much for any new driver and parents are dumb for getting or letting them buy these cars. We need liscense based on HP and have more brackets for vehicle size too. Damn people who don't know how to drive SUV's and their big duallys!!!!!

I disagree. None of that **** would happen if parents took enough time out of their busy schedules and gave their kids enough seat time before allowing them to get a drivers license.

For example, my brother and I were allowed to drive to the store and other closer locations (of course with our mom or dad in the car/truck) at the age of 14. They felt that we should have adequate seat time before taking drivers ed. and a driving test then all of a sudden handed over a license.

Also, we were lucky enough to have a lot of property south of Houston where our grandfather would take us out in his truck and let us skid through the fields so we could feel what it was like to go into a controlled skid.

SO in the end, if parents would properly teach their kids to drive and be responsible behind the wheel, many of these wrecks would be reduced.
Old 11-30-2007, 12:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Donohue96M6Z28
I know most people on here have street raced, but I can honestly say I dont. I've maybe done it twice in my life and it was only up to 70-80
You are a street racer, and you just contradicted yourself. You think these kids were above 80 mph? You don't need to be doing above 80 to **** up REALLY bad, like in this case.

There is a time and place for everything. City streets are not the place.
Old 11-30-2007, 01:02 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 3.4camaro
You are a street racer, and you just contradicted yourself. You think these kids were above 80 mph? You don't need to be doing above 80 to **** up REALLY bad, like in this case.

because he has maybe raced twice he is a "street racer" and contradicting himself? Give me a ******* break. And yeah I think these kids were probably doing over 80. 80 is a farely safe speed IMO. Most highway drivers do 80 on a regular basis.
Old 11-30-2007, 01:10 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by 3.4camaro

WTF? I didnt contradict anything. Since Ive MAYBE "raced" twice in my life (i'd say a good 3-4 yrs ago) im a street racer? um no. If thats the case. I guess if I was an alcoholic 10 yrs ago but havent drank since. Im still an alcholic? Even when I did "race" those couple times, I honestly dont know if I would even consider them races. it would be like a 40-75ish run. So pretty much nothing. I didnt consider my self a street racer then either.

And to be honest. Yes I do think those kids were probably going faster then 80. Most people I know that "street race" race to well over 100, you dont really see many people racing to 80 then stopping.
Old 11-30-2007, 01:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by | Powered by Satan |
I disagree. None of that **** would happen if parents took enough time out of their busy schedules and gave their kids enough seat time before allowing them to get a drivers license.

For example, my brother and I were allowed to drive to the store and other closer locations (of course with our mom or dad in the car/truck) at the age of 14. They felt that we should have adequate seat time before taking drivers ed. and a driving test then all of a sudden handed over a license.

Also, we were lucky enough to have a lot of property south of Houston where our grandfather would take us out in his truck and let us skid through the fields so we could feel what it was like to go into a controlled skid.

SO in the end, if parents would properly teach their kids to drive and be responsible behind the wheel, many of these wrecks would be reduced.

Exactly right. There are not many 16 year olds that need to be any where near a high powered V8. Too many parents let thier kids learn how to drive on play station and turn them loose.
Old 11-30-2007, 01:19 PM
TECH Junkie

^ I agree, 16 is pretty young to start driving at all, let alone a fast car.
Old 11-30-2007, 01:29 PM
TECH Pimp

Well turns out one of my clients was this boys neighbor. He said that the kids involved knew each other and that they had met up to race after school. He said he knows both family's, and that if it's up to them he doubted that the family of the deceased would press charges against the kid. But is it up to them? I doubt it. I bet the city will try to make an example of this poor kid and ruin his life.
Old 11-30-2007, 01:35 PM
ino
TECH Enthusiast

That sad to see, but nobody made them race. They raced cuz they wanted to.