How illigal is it to own a police scanner????

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2007, 06:19 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

x2 where can i get one?
Old 12-07-2007, 06:42 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 95LT1963
what is the fcc???

wouldt mind having something like that for stupid people yeling at the phone when they already DONt have sign
FCC = Federal Trade Commission. You have been dealing with them from the very first day you watched TV.

TABC = The most dekcuf up bunch of licensed gangsters that shield themselves behind a badge and motive to make any one individual or a group of people feel they are being treated like they are dealing with the Gastopov. (Dont ask, it's a very personal thing and I had to rant/ventZ)
Old 12-07-2007, 09:01 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by regorih383
Yes I am, I want to do one for sure. Cheek my myspace.com/sendmetogumball3000 page. I just made it yesterday , its a long shot but I cant loss anything.
ha ha that's awesome dude. you better start inviting more people!!! if you get to the $50k mark i'll send you $100. lol. but you have to let me be your co-pilot.

i think the most impressive part was you getting Pixie to read your comment and actually make a real response to it. lol that girl is hot.

and you wanna trade cars? i think a '99 Z28 with 122k miles would work better for you than that lil ole C5. lol j/k man. that car is beautiful. i wish i could afford one like it.
Old 12-07-2007, 09:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Grimlock1968
FCC = Federal Trade Commission. You have been dealing with them from the very first day you watched TV.
FCC = Federal Communication Commission
Old 12-07-2007, 09:39 PM
TECH Junkie

roger who the **** is that chick with bewbies.....!!! call me up ******! Wednesday is the last day for finals.....!!!
Old 12-07-2007, 09:45 PM
TECH Junkie

roger add me on your private myspace account....... just sent you a request biotch...
Old 12-07-2007, 11:32 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by kerryt1
FCC = Federal Communication Commission
OOOPs! Thanks, that's what I meant. At the time I was at my night time job dealing with something that distracted me.
Old 12-08-2007, 03:33 AM
Teching In

Scanners are not illegal to own,use,have in the car,the house.If the scanner can pick up the frequency then you can listen.At radio shack you can usually get a list of frequency's to listen to.
It is illegal to alter the scanner to hear cell phones/cordless phones.
If they were illegal they would not be selling them at wal-mart.
Old 12-08-2007, 09:24 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by firemedic0135
Scanners are not illegal to own,use,have in the car,the house.If the scanner can pick up the frequency then you can listen.At radio shack you can usually get a list of frequency's to listen to.
It is illegal to alter the scanner to hear cell phones/cordless phones.
If they were illegal they would not be selling them at wal-mart.
I agree with firemedic on all of those parts except for the having them in car note. Authorities dont want civilians that are capable of having the criminal mind listening in, monitoring where they are, what they are doing especially if one is modded. But it's fun having them in your house listening to your neighbor's wife calling her lover telling him that her husband is gone to work now and the coast is clear

Had this big burly macho looking guy that lived down the street from a friend of mine with a scanner. You wouldnt think anything abnormal of him except when he was caught by the scanner on the phone talking about how he liked to use "the big red one" on himself blah blah blah
Old 12-09-2007, 02:10 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

can anyone find the actual text of any law regarding this? i tried searching and i'm not getting any luck finding anything. i'm from MA originaly, and in comparison, TX is all about people having personal freedoms... so i find it silly that they woudlnt let you use a radio scanner in your car.

i had one back home in the car i had in HS. i lived in a small town and i used to listen to the police radio all the time. when 93 octane was $1.15/g and i'd randomly cruise around all night, i'd hear my friends cars getting pulled over and i'd drive by and wave . when i'd drive back and forth to college, i'd listen to the truckers CB radios. when in a traffic jam, i'd get a good laugh listening to the truckers talk dirty about hot chicks they'd see in cars.
Old 12-09-2007, 05:52 PM
TECH Resident

Scanners are not illegal, its the blocker thats illegal. If you modify something to interfere with communications, thats where your trouble is.
Old 12-10-2007, 10:36 AM
Banned

Not illegal unless you are jamming or interfearing with police signal. Not to long ago it become very tough to listen in on Police channels in larger cities where the budgets were larger and they used high end models that then were highly advanced fully digital signal. Signal was not a simple channel but a trunked (grouped) access signal. Very hard to intercept as several people used the same channel and it was broken down even further for specific units. At the time retail scanners were just keeping up. Not anymore! My advice. Don't buy anything at Radio Shack bro. WAY OVERPRICED! You want a Uniden model, that I am certain of... Don't know if your ready for the expense though. Everything you wanted to know and more... http://www.police-scanner.info/polic...e-scanners.htm ENJOY!

Why Uniden:
SmartScanner

SmartScanner is a feature available in the Uniden BC245XLT and some newer Uniden trunking scanners that allows the scanners to dial into the Uniden server via a 1-900 telephone number and automatically program the radio with frequencies, trunking IDs and fleet maps for your geographic area. It does this based on a ZIP code that you supply as well as the distribution of services in your area.
Heres the answer to you thread Q by the way.

The bottom line:
  • It is illegal to listen in on cellular and cordless phone calls.
  • It is illegal to intercept encrypted or scrambled communications.
  • It is illegal for scanner manufacturers to sell or import radio scanners that are capable of receiving cellular phone frequencies. (Note: This rule does not apply to sales by individuals and radio scanners made before 1985).
  • It is illegal to modify radio scanners so that cellular phone frequencies can be received.
  • It is illegal to use information you hear for personal gain. A common example is where a taxi driver listens to a competitor's dispatch channel for fare pick-ups and then races over and picks-up the fares.
  • It is illegal to use information you hear to aid in the commission of a crime.
  • It is illegal to disclose information you hear to other persons.
IF you ever want to get really specific regarding a law search on here : http://www.lawsource.com/

Something else you guys may not know existed...

PC-based scanners are made for use on a personal computer. Currently there is only one manufacturer that make PC-based scanners. This type is scanner uses the keyboard and mouse to control operations via an on-screen interface controller.
There are two components required for a PC-based Scanner; hardware & software. The hardware required includes either a PC-card for the antenna set-up or or a special external mobile antenna.
See photos for sample:

PCI Card

PC Control Panel

Pros:
  • Range and reception is comparable to other models.
  • Sound volume is much greater than handheld models.
  • Made for both stationary and mobile use.
  • Runs on computer's power.
  • You can increase reception by connecting a pole mounted external antenna.
  • Unlimited Channel Memory (dependent on hard drive space)
  • Ability to add additional functions such as trunking-capability.
Cons:
  • Cost.
  • Requires a Desktop or Laptop Computer.
  • Antenna must be purchased separately.
  • Must be located near power outlet.
  • Affected by power outages.
  • Mobile use requires a laptop computer and special separate power supply.

Last edited by Cantalope Kid; 12-10-2007 at 10:48 AM.
Old 12-10-2007, 10:46 AM
Launching!

$ 524 aye yay yay!! Time to go to shopzilla and see if I can knock one off for $200 cheaper.
Old 12-10-2007, 10:49 AM
Banned

Got any other questions that can be answered by using Search...Google.com...let me know, lol!
Old 12-10-2007, 11:30 AM
Launching!

http://www.snapshield.com/www_proble...er/All_you.htm

My next toys
Old 12-10-2007, 12:12 PM
On The Tree

http://www.methodshop.com/gadgets/re...rs/index.shtml
Old 12-10-2007, 01:01 PM
Launching!

I got the handheld one. It works about 75% of the time.
Old 06-28-2010, 02:47 PM

Originally Posted by Grimlock

TABC = The most dekcuf up bunch of licensed gangsters that shield themselves behind a badge and motive to make any one individual or a group of people feel they are being treated like they are dealing with the Gastopov. (Dont ask, it's a very personal thing and I had to rant/ventZ)
Sir you are really really misinformed.
First of all the Acronym for The Federal Trade Commission is "FTC."
The Acronym "FCC" is for The Federal Communications Commission.
I have several licenses issued by the FCC.
My two commercial licenses are, "General Radio Telephone with Ships Radar Endorsement and an FAA, utility certificate attached.
The FAA part, "for Federal Aviation Administration" governs my working on Aircraft Electronics.
The FCC license and Endorsement allows anything that transmits including all type of RADAR.
Oh by the way, the ACRONYM, "RADAR" is for Radio Azimuth Detection and Ranging.
I also hold an Amateur Radio License, "Advanced Class" from the FCC also.
I've had that one since 1968. No not CB, Amateur Radio, "you probably think HAM!

Amateur Radio is nothing about or like CB. CB is the very lowlife form of Radio Communications that should never have been allowed on 27Mhz. Wrong band.

The FCC governs who can repair, tune, use etc certain kinds of radio equipment.
Radio is not only for sending messages, pictures, "TV" it's for a lot of things.
The FCC is involved with the manufacturing standards for many electronics device that radiate RF, "Acronym for Radio Frequency" energy.
Example your computer radiates RF energy.
I can drive by your house and using some very simple electronics and a complicated computer program copy everything you type and read on your monitor.
Nope encryption will not hide you're info. Your monitor shows everything in the clear so you can read it. The RF it radiates, "not purposefully" also has it in the clear.

I also have a Commercial Radio Telegraph License. This license is required to be the radio officer on board large sea going vessels.
Of the people who take the General Telephone License only 30% pass it the first time.
It takes about eight hours to take the test.
Those who take the test the second time have a pass rate of about 45%.
The Radio Telegraph License has a failure rate of about 80% with return testers failing at about 70%.
We are professionals sir. Not **** head CB radio operators who require an IQ of about their shoe size with a mouth big enough that is probably unnecessary for them to use a radio anyway.

FTC, "The Federal Trade Commission" is who governs what is considered fair trade, Hummmmmmm. You would contact them if you feel some company is doing something that is totally unfair, illegal etc.
I just filed a complaint with the FTC about DISH Satellite.
I have filed a business complaint with my State Attorney General and the state they are incorporated in as well as the local and state levels of the BBB, "Acronym for the Better Business Bureau."
I am suing DISH as well.

So there ya are bud.
Now you can look all this up on the Internet the next time you want to spout off about what you think you now.
You'd look a little smarter if you did!

Obama is an Illegal Alain!
Old 06-28-2010, 02:56 PM
TECH Resident

Used his first post to bring back a thread thats been dead for 2 1/2 years...smooth.
Old 06-28-2010, 03:08 PM
10 Second Club

Received 72 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by Grimlock
pm sent.
PM me too please

Quick Reply: How illigal is it to own a police scanner????