My defense for upcoming ticket...

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2007, 03:35 PM
MJK
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by blown4.6
The license plates have to be MOUNTED on the front most part of the vehicle. Even if your vehicle doesnt have the slot the car company will make a bracket so that you can mount your plate.
Not saying one way or the other but.I want to say that this is the way I have always heard of this law.And that is why many officers don't let you get away with mounted it on your air dam or on your dash.

Now as to the whole car company doesn't supply you with a factory mount.They do.My SS has a factory mount bracket and my previous Trans Ams that I have owned all were able to have the "bird cover" removed to mount a plate.

Just letting the OP know in case he wasn't aware of that.

I have actually been pulled over by DPS troopers that ARE aware of that if not by owning one of these cars,they know someone and/or have pulled somone with a front plate mounted.

Personally I HATE the plate being mounted but,when I bought my SS,it was already on there so...I've just left it in place.Really thinking of getting an aftermarket grill though...

Good luck,I like how you have built your case.
Old 12-29-2007, 03:51 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by txh0tb0i972
i just scrolled down to see how long it was! lol
Hoped you packed a big lunch for the duration of reading it.

Cant say he didnt warn it was long.
Old 12-29-2007, 04:16 PM
Staging Lane

Just a few things....as noted above all our cars from the manufacture came with front brackets so if you try to use that it will most likely bite you in the ***. Making any credible parts of your argument weaker.

As for having it in the front window. The case you stated says that the officer could clearly see the plate and that is why it was allowed. I think the law will come down to more then the front part of the car but is the plate visible from the front of the car. If Im right when you put a plate in the front window of our cars it lays almost flat and is not visible making the case you site actually work against you.

I think if your going to try to use this stuff you should really run it by a lawyer. You go in there acting all big and they will eat you alive.
Old 12-29-2007, 04:35 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by greggvh
If Im right when you put a plate in the front window of our cars it lays almost flat and is not visible making the case you site actually work against you.
Actually you can tuck it right between the dash pad thing and the windshield. It stays flush with the windshield and if very visible to whoever is trying to see it. Also, why can you not put your front license plate on your air dam?
Old 12-29-2007, 05:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

My uncle is a cop and he perceives the license plate law as it being frontward facing and in plain view. As long as he can see it from his car seat he wont pull you over for it. The law is at the cops discretion. Same as with the muffler law.

I bet that both will get thrown out. As safety I would buy some sticky cups and mount the plate at the TOP of your windshield so its even easier to be seen.

BTW good post.
Old 12-29-2007, 05:11 PM
TECH Veteran

Both Camaros and Firebirds come from the factory ready for front LPs. Can't use that in court. It just depends on the state the car is in as to whether the plate mount is put on the Camaro or the LP filler plate is used on the Firebird. He should have used a DB meter to measure the exhaust noise.
Old 12-29-2007, 06:49 PM
Teching In

Location: The Republic of Texas, just south of the United States...

Originally Posted by blown4.6
The license plates have to be MOUNTED on the front most part of the vehicle. Even if your vehicle doesnt have the slot the car company will make a bracket so that you can mount your plate.
According to the DPS website, the car must have a front license plate facing forward, no where does it say the front most part of the vehicle, bumper, nose or otherwise. That is what the case Lasoya vs Texas was about and supported by the Texas court system.

This is directly from the Department of Public Safety, see the second one from the top.

http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/vi/Misc/faq/faq_item.htm
Old 12-29-2007, 07:01 PM
Launching!

lol, verbatum from the site

How many license plates am I required to display?
State law requires that you display two (2) license plates, one to the front and one to the rear. Placement or mounting of license plates is not defined.
Click Here to view state statute
Old 12-29-2007, 09:28 PM
TECH Junkie

As already mentioned, since GM offered a front license plate bracket for our cars, you cannot make the argument that "I shouldn't have to put one on because GM didn't make it that way." I asked if I could order my Camaro without a front license plate, and was told I could not, because state law requires a front mounted plate.

Also, bear in mind that many judges look out for the best interests of the police department. If you go in with the attitude that the office was out to get you and that your civil rights are being unfairly curtailed, you're highly likely to **** off the judge. The fact is, whether YOU like it or not, police officers have the authority to pull over any motorist at any time, for any reason. They cannot search your car without probable cause, but pulling you over is fair game.

I thought I remembered reading that a car's exhaust has to exit the rear of the vehicle, behind the rear wheels, in the state of Texas. I could be wrong about that. It would be worth looking into (for you).

It might also be helpful to see if anyone in your area has access to equipment that can accurately measure your car's decibel output, particularly when doing 40mph in 4th gear (as you mentioned that was the situation). This way, you have a concrete frame of reference for your argument. If it registers the same as an 18-wheeler, that doesn't help your case, especially if you were in an area where 18-wheelers aren't typically driven (i.e. a residential area).

One last bit of advice (from a guy whose brother is in law enforcement): whether you win or lose, you had better hope you never cross paths with that officer again. You don't know what harassment is. Trust me.

-Mike
Old 12-29-2007, 10:04 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by chupr0kabra

One last bit of advice (from a guy whose brother is in law enforcement): whether you win or lose, you had better hope you never cross paths with that officer again. You don't know what harassment is. Trust me.

-Mike
Ain't that the truth.... in the end its you and him, one on one, in the middle of nowhere
Old 12-29-2007, 10:25 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by chupr0kabra
I thought I remembered reading that a car's exhaust has to exit the rear of the vehicle, behind the rear wheels, in the state of Texas. I could be wrong about that. It would be worth looking into (for you).
I think it is it has to exit outside the passenger compartment.
Old 12-30-2007, 12:06 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by playtoy
I think it is it has to exit outside the passenger compartment.
it does. my dad was a state inspector, if it doesn't exit outside the passenger compartment, it fails. that's why pickups can legally have dumps, because it's past the back of the cab
Old 12-30-2007, 12:12 AM
Launching!

Can someone tell me why we can't mount our front license plates on our air dams.
Old 12-30-2007, 12:28 AM
Launching!

I mounted mine behind the LP filler pannel.
Old 12-30-2007, 12:37 AM
Launching!

I mounted mine behind the LP filler pannel.
I don't understand . .
Old 12-30-2007, 12:52 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by GunshotZ28
I don't understand . .
The license plate is behind the filler pannel. If I get pulled over for no front LP all I have to do is pull off the filler pannel. It worked once. Told the cop I did'nt know I had to display the front LP. Pulled off the filler right there and he let me go. Got to the gas station and put the filler back on.
Old 12-30-2007, 01:01 AM
Launching!

The license plate is behind the filler pannel. If I get pulled over for no front LP all I have to do is pull off the filler pannel. It worked once. Told the cop I did'nt know I had to display the front LP. Pulled off the filler right there and he let me go. Got to the gas station and put the filler back on.
Haha.. That's pretty cool.
Old 12-30-2007, 04:10 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I can probably be of a lot of help here as I personally know a VERY well respected traffic attorney here in Houston. I didn't want to read the whole damn thing tho.. Like someone said in the 2nd or 3rd post, CLIFFNOTES.

If you REALLY need help or advice, let me know. I've had over 100 tickets - no lie - and I only have ONE on record and that was prior to meeting my good friends Paul and Mike Kubosh!
Old 12-30-2007, 04:48 AM
TECH Fanatic

Officer Reyes got me last year. I was heading to the Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo or it may had been to the Ft Worth Livestock show, cant remember, to be with my Show Team since I had to stay behind a day for a funeral. I was headed that way hauling some serious *** in the Z and he came sliding across the median towards me, he didn't clock me but he did give me a little lecture and let me go with a warning. He seemed a little tight but he let me go.

Been pulled over 28 times in 4 years, I guess I look innocent.

-Rick
Old 12-30-2007, 06:56 AM
9 Second Club

I would say you have a good argument... I think you should stick by the fundamentals. If I was to offer any suggestions, I would NOT make a huge issue about "the manufacturer did not provide a method to mount the license plate"... because it wouldnt be hard for the prosecution to get a letter from GM saying every car they sell comes with a method to mount the license plates front and rear. However your strong part of your argument is that the law does NOT define that you must use any specific method of display or mounting of the plate...

You met the requirements... you met the criteria that the "State law requires that you display two (2) license plates, one to the front and one to the rear." with a jury of your peers... that is what will win your position.