hdmi cables

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2008 | 04:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by osvaldo
LS1LUNATIC, I own a cheap 32" magnavox its a 720p with a 1200:1 contrast ratio. I was thinking about getting a good dvd player but $400 for a blue ray is not something i want to do right now. I saw a HD player at best buy for 200, but everyone i ask tells me that blue ray is better. Is blue ray worth the extra 200? How do movie availability compare between the two? Prices? If i go with blue ray i would definitely go with a PS3.

Also my parents want to buy a 40"-42" flat screen and a sound system with a dvd player. Is the picture quality from the upconversion DVD player good? They dont want top of the line stuff but something nice.

Lastly, can you hook me up with a discount?
You're asking for his advice after he's been wrong this entire thread? The only thing he has said that might be correct is that he knows how to program a universal remote.

I haven't seen a good argument for one format over the other. Seems that there are more movies right now for Blu-Ray, but who knows which format will "survive". I have Blu-Ray via PS3.

Is that Toshiba HDDVD player you're looking at is the A-20? I've read people have problems with it flickering sometimes, but others have had okay luck with it.

Here's a Blu-Ray player that is cheaper than a PS3: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...bluraycom0b-20

I have a 40" LCD in my bedroom and have an upconverting DVD player and it works great. It's not as good as the Blu-Ray, but it is better than a SDTV and a regular DVD player.
Old 01-02-2008 | 05:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yeah this one...http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....#productdetail
Old 01-02-2008 | 05:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by osvaldo
That one doesn't do 1080p, fyi. Walmart sold it for $99 right before Thanksgiving.

The Samsung HD-A20 is a bit of a step up from the A3.
Old 01-02-2008 | 05:22 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by J-Rod
Thank you for your input, but I do not believe your information is accurate.

Component video can output to 1080p. Component video is capable of carrying signals such as 480i, 480p, 576i, 576p, 720p, 1080i and 1080p, although some TVs do not support 1080p through component video.

I also verified the various outputs from the PS3 including 1080i which will work via component output.
I'm sorry if I worded it that way, but you are correct. Component cable is capable of outputting 1080p, but.....the upconvert DVD players will not output it through component. And as you know yes certain TV's will not accept 1080p from component. If you are cool with using your PS3 as a DVD player as well, then your good to go.

To those who want to debate blue ray vs HD-dvd, ask Hawgs. He seems to know everything better. If you want my honest and humble opinion, wait. There is no way possible you can tell AT THIS POINT who is going to win. Now you can take in all the information that is out there and make a your own decision but I havent picked either format yet. Here's some pointers:

Benefits of blueray:
- Blueray signed with Pixar/disney. All the cool kids animated movies are gonna be blueray along with all older disney movies if they ever make it to blueray.
- PS3 support
- Sony started the HD war, their products are superior to HD-dvd. More manufacturers are going with blueray vs HD-dvd. Right now panasonic, Pioneer, sharp, samsung, LG and sony have blueray players out. Toshiba is the only HD-dvd out there( some no name brands may have popped up, but toshiba supplies the tech) aside of the LG superblue.

Benefits of HD-dvd:
- More movie companies are signing with HD-dvd rather then blueray.
- HD-DVD are selling 10 for every 1 blueray. HD-DVD has definetely outsold blueray this holiday season.
- This one is important. Back when it was VHS vs Betamax, VHS ended coming out ontop why? Because the **** industry chose VHS over betamax. Now does this apply? Yes, since the **** industry has chosen HD-dvd over blue ray.

All in all the best suggestion/advice I can give you is to wait. Any HD-dvd/Blueray player that is available now is crap. They all take way to long to load/play and by next summer they will be giving them away. And I can guarantee you by this summer there will be something superior to 1080P. Think Samsung DLP but in 3D.....
Old 01-02-2008 | 05:25 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by hawgs
Does Best Buy send you to any sort of training to be an installer or do they just find any slackjaw moron on the street and give them 7 bucks and hour and a drill?

Tieing up your trash with HDMI cables is probably not the best idea. It's hard to get them very tight and more often than not they'll come loose. I prefer tieing the bag to itself. Grab one corner and the opposite corner and then tie those bad boys together. Gives you a much better seal and you don't have to spend $20 each time you take out the trash.

Yup.
Old 01-02-2008 | 05:30 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by hawgs
That one doesn't do 1080p, fyi. Walmart sold it for $99 right before Thanksgiving.

The Samsung HD-A20 is a bit of a step up from the A3.

HD-A20 is last years model. Piece of ****. HD-A3 will do up to 1080i, HD-A30 will do 1080p/24hz. HD-A35 next step up. Get your facts right, HAWGS.
Old 01-02-2008 | 05:47 PM
Formerly 4mulaJoe

Most people cannot tell a difference between component and HDMI if they are playing at the same resolution the same TV. Why the hell would you overpay for the more expensive cables?
Old 01-02-2008 | 05:56 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by LS1x2
Most people cannot tell a difference between component and HDMI if they are playing at the same resolution the same TV. Why the hell would you overpay for the more expensive cables?
Why buy a F.A.S.T intake if have an LS6 intake?
Old 01-02-2008 | 06:00 PM
Formerly 4mulaJoe

Originally Posted by LS1LUNATIC
Why buy a F.A.S.T intake if have an LS6 intake?
Flawed logic. You aren't actually benefiting with the cables.
Old 01-02-2008 | 06:07 PM
12 Second Club

There is a clear benefit between HDMI and component. The difference in picture quality between both types of cable is clearly present and any skilled eye can tell. Or maybe I've just stared at too many different TV's hooked up in every way imaginable. At any rate, I can tell the difference between each type is used. And if I can tell, 8 out of the next 10 people can tell.
Old 01-02-2008 | 06:14 PM
Formerly 4mulaJoe

There is a clear benefit between HDMI and component. The difference in picture quality between both types of cable is clearly present and any skilled eye can tell. Or maybe I've just stared at too many different TV's hooked up in every way imaginable. At any rate, I can tell the difference between each type is used. And if I can tell, 8 out of the next 10 people can tell.
Hard to believe. Neither me, my wife, nor my parents can see the difference on out TV's. I use an HDMI cable though since it's only $6
Old 01-02-2008 | 06:25 PM
12 Second Club

If your comfortable with knowing your TV isn't performing at its best, then stick with the component cables. I'm the kinda guy who wants the best of everything. I want the best cables, with the best equipment so I can get the best picture. And even though I might be at an advantage when it comes to buying the cables, I'd still pay retail for some good cables. If the situation ever arises where I need to tie somebody/thing up, I can always use a good HDMI wire...
Old 01-02-2008 | 06:27 PM
Formerly 4mulaJoe

If your comfortable with knowing your TV isn't performing at its best, then stick with the component cables. I'm the kinda guy who wants the best of everything. I want the best cables, with the best equipment so I can get the best picture. And even though I might be at an advantage when it comes to buying the cables, I'd still pay retail for some good cables. If the situation ever arises where I need to tie somebody/thing up, I can always use a good HDMI wire...
Well, I didn't buy the tv or cables to comfort me so I guess I am good to go. I only bought it for the nice picture.
Old 01-02-2008 | 06:46 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by TruDualed95Z
ok i picked up a philips hdmi cable until mine arrives from monoprice. it looks goo but there's still a slight 'haze' over the tv. i already have all the settings set at 1080p and its still happening during movies.

any advise?
anyone?
Old 01-02-2008 | 06:53 PM
12 Second Club

Sounds like you got HD
Old 01-02-2008 | 07:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by TruDualed95Z
anyone?
Have you played with the calibration settings on the TV to see if you can tune it out?

Sounds like you got HD
Are you talking to TruDualed? He has a hazy picture and you think it is HD? Well done. The local HT expert strikes again.
Old 01-02-2008 | 08:00 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by LS1x2
Never done the comparison myself so I can't comment on difference in PQ between HDMI * Component. One of the main advantages to me is HD video and uncompressed HD audio in ONE cable, as opposed to an analog output for each audio channel (the only way other than HDMI to use the new HD formats), and a separate video cable(s) for video.
Old 01-03-2008 | 12:35 AM
Staging Lane

I seriously can't believe a thread on a/v cables has made three pages.
Old 01-03-2008 | 11:00 AM
6600 rpm clutch dump of death Administrator

Ok, look. TV's and many other items have VERY slim profit margins. At Best Buy, thinks like cables are high margin items. They aren't necessarily better. just more expensive. if you can get like kind and quality for 20x less it doesn't make you a moron to use an inexensive cable.

There is also the placebo factor. I know high end audio guys who swear they can hear the difference between certain ultrapure copper cables, and some guys who even swear by using stuff like ultrpure silver instead. its like anything else, you can spend as much as you want on home audio. In the end 99.99% of the general population can't tell a most properly set up systems from one another unless there are just gross irregularities in the comparison.

I would be willing to bet money that if we take a controlled source and use a high end cable, and then switch to a low end cables and do a double blind back to back test that no one will be able to tell the difference.
Old 01-03-2008 | 01:50 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by J-Rod
I would be willing to bet money that if we take a controlled source and use a high end cable, and then switch to a low end cables and do a double blind back to back test that no one will be able to tell the difference.
This test has been done before with so called "audiophiles" using ultra high end speaker wire & power cords from lamps. The results?
They couldn't tell the difference.