Knive folk

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2008, 03:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Knive folk

Hey guys I need to know what some of you use to sharpen your knives. Ive got a Smith and Wesson Black Ops knife that is getting pretty dull thanks to two years of use and its on its second deployment.

Yea I know I can just get a whet stone but I dont want to take the chance in breaking it with all the moving I do from base to base.

I want a smallish knife sharper that will do a decent job so let me know what yall recommend.
Old 01-04-2008, 03:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I use a set of 3 stones with different coarseness on a base.
Kind of like this:
http://www.amazon.com/Arkansas-Tri-H...483788&sr=1-55

With the stones on a base it would be difficult to break them.

I've used the hand held sharpeners and ended up going back and redoing the blade on my stones.
Old 01-04-2008, 04:10 PM
Teching In

http://www.lanskysharpeners.com/LKDMD.php

The BEST knife sharpeners available. Period.
Old 01-04-2008, 04:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yea not really looking to spend $100 on a stone set really. Could make a great gift for me though. LOL

How big is that 3 stone set Greed?

Also Ive used the handheld devices last deployment and didnt like them at all. I learned to sharpen my own knives on a whetstone from my grandpa and feel way more comfortable using that.
Old 01-04-2008, 04:29 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There are all sorts of different types of whetstones. I have several pocket sized versions that are fairly coarse, thay are handy for scissors , knives and other utensils at the shop.

At home I have a very old stone that has been handed down through the family. I represent it's 4th generation. It is appx, 3"x7"x2" and is good for sitting in my armchair drinking a coldie while sharpening my pocketknife. I have a Ken Onion Knickle plated Kershaw that has been with me for many years now. It holds an edge very well, trouble is it takes hours to get it to the point it will hold an edge for an extended period of time as it is very hard.

I would suggest going to different cutlery websites or stores to handle different stones until you find what you are looking for.

g
Old 01-04-2008, 04:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just use a Gatco Edgemate carbide sharpener... I think I paid $50 from the SnapOn guy for it, prolly less other places. 3 or 4 swipes and its sharp as new again
Old 01-04-2008, 04:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yea getting to a store is well impossible. LOL

Ive tried to look at a few websites but hardly any of them have real feedback from people other then "its a great stone" and Im looking for a little more substance before I buy something.

So far that 3 stone set is looking good for me.
Old 01-04-2008, 04:42 PM
TECH Regular

My dad has a wetstone that he has had since he was in his 20's. I can't wait to get my hands on it. For now I usually just hand over my Benchmade for him to sharpen it as I seem to not be able to keep the edge consistent on both sides. Practice is what I need and lots of it. I am thinking about getting a cheap knife to do so with.
Old 01-04-2008, 09:12 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by bballr4567
Yea not really looking to spend $100 on a stone set really. Could make a great gift for me though. LOL

How big is that 3 stone set Greed?

Also Ive used the handheld devices last deployment and didnt like them at all. I learned to sharpen my own knives on a whetstone from my grandpa and feel way more comfortable using that.
The reason the one I posted is so expensive is because its the deluxe set with the diamond stone. There are cheaper sets available, and you can buy other stones to add to it in the future. I highly doubt you will find anything better than this set for this price.

http://www.lanskysharpeners.com/LKC03.php

If you want to look at the other options click on the link to the top-left that says outdoors.
Old 01-04-2008, 09:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Ahhhh gotcha. They have a ton of stuff at that site. Damn nice options too. Im now thinking about getting that Arkansas stone set. It comes in a nice case that looks like itll withstand me moving around out here in Iraq.

Thanks.
Old 01-04-2008, 09:56 PM
Teching In

No problem man. You won't be disappointed. It gets you a perfect edge and you can easily do it while doing something else. Just another tip, after you use the kit, rub the edge of the knife against some rough leather, like the back of a leather weight belt. Helps remove all the little metal particles you shaved off the edge and makes the knife even sharper.
Old 01-05-2008, 01:26 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by dontshakepandas
http://www.lanskysharpeners.com/LKDMD.php

The BEST knife sharpeners available. Period.
+1

i have used mine on probably over 100 knives and made them all razor sharp
Old 01-05-2008, 01:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks for the help guys. Makes my choice pretty easy.