Power Steering Miseries...

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2008, 02:01 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Power Steering Miseries...

Hey guys I've been having a ton of trouble with my power steering system. At first glance I noticed that my resorvoir had gone pretty dry and it appeared that fluid had been leaking from the pump so I decided to replace it. Well after I replaced it, all I get is bubbling air continuing to flow up through the system and bubble up in the resorvoir. The pump whines like crazy most likely because of all the trapped air. I've let the bubbles continue with the car running and the cap off to see if they will stop but even after 20 min of idling and turning the wheel, the bubbles continue. I've needed a new steering rack for a long time now and it had a ton of play and pops while turning so I'm planning on just getting a new rack, returning this pump for another rebuilt one and replacing the high pressure line. What do you think is my problem guys and what should I do to test/fix it? Thanks for all input...

BTW if anyone wants to write up a quick how to bleed power steering thing for me that would be awesome. Hopefully someone has experienced this misery...

Josh
Old 01-06-2008, 03:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

to bleed the power steering jack up the front end and turn the ignition on with out starting the car. then turn the steering wheel lock to lock a couple of times with the p/s cap off.
Old 01-06-2008, 03:29 PM
TECH Apprentice

do you have a p/s cooler... if so check and make sure it isnt leaking internally.
Happened to me, the p.s res kept going dry but i couldn't see any leaks and when i would fill it up it would get milky and my pump began to whine too.

It was leaking into the cooling system and both systems got contaminated with each other and ran a muck
Old 01-06-2008, 06:06 PM
12 Second Club

As far as i know didn't those coolers only come on the ss and ws6? i didn't think i had one.
Old 02-15-2008, 04:50 PM
12 Second Club

ok old thread but I just don't like leaving these things out to dry without information.

Problem with new pump: I like an idiot didn't realize that where the high pressure line goes into the new pump needed a new seal so that's where my air was coming from.

On a side not however the actual source of the leak turned out to be my high pressure line which is the line that runs from the left side of the pump down to the rack.
Old 02-15-2008, 05:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

had my powersteering reservoir explode the other day, i think its just a bad hose on mine.
Old 02-15-2008, 05:34 PM
10 Second Fun Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by connexion2005
As far as i know didn't those coolers only come on the ss and ws6? i didn't think i had one.
Na they came on Z28s also. It would be a metal piece between the upper radiator hose.
Old 02-15-2008, 05:37 PM
Sex On Wheels

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

Not sure what option code it would be on a Z28 but not all Z28's have them... I actually didn't know of any of them having it until you mentioned it...

William