How much do plant operators make?

Old 04-25-2017, 04:09 PM
TECH Resident

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by 007FJ
Forgot about texting you last week but you got the message from Cody and I about ST anyway. Happy as hell for you.

Thank you so much man! I had heard some things about Shintech from a couple of other people at my lab tech job that had further solidified my decision. Also heard their plant was basically filled with dinosaur equipment that always had problems of some kind or another. Once things line out here with the mountain of paperwork and onboarding I have ahead of me, I'm looking forward to finally being able to finish rebuilding my Camaro's motor and fixing up my poor POS Firebird I still need to meet up with you and see your car sometime!
Old 07-14-2017, 07:44 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts

Thought I'd post up some info that may be helpful to those seeking a job in this sector.

I recently applied and was contacted by an HR rep regarding an I&E (instrumentation) position with Energy Transfer Partners, who bought the Sunoco refinery in Marcus Hook, PA - just outside of Philly. He set me up with a phone interview with basically 5 I&E Engineers, which I thought went well and went for just over an hour. Even though I didn't have ANY formal instrumentation training, they liked what I had to say evidently. I then met with the director of Instrumentation face to face, and he hired me on the spot. No testing, no BS group interaction exercises etc. Starting pay is 37/hr, and I think tops out at 45/hr or close to it. The guy said I will get there fast also. So I'm pretty pleased as you can imagine. This is a NLG (Natural Gas Liquid) facility that has experienced tremendous growth and I was lucky to get picked up in this wave of hiring.

So I think alot of us here actually have what these companies are looking for and we need to do a better job of conveying our skills. Believe it or not, I believe my car knowledge is what sealed the deal b/c they asked me to talk about the different types of car systems I have experience with. I went on about data logging, closed/open loop systems, AFR, duty cycle, sensor scaling, offsets, PID settings etc etc. They were quiet...in a good way. The guy that hired me afterwards said, " I like what you said about cars...that everything you need to know about anything is under the hood of a car". Pretty neat huh!

Good luck to all.

Last edited by 69-chvl; 07-14-2017 at 07:50 AM.
Old 07-14-2017, 11:20 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Very good point. For those of you with little to no experience highlighting you mechanical skills could be a deal breaker.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How much do plant operators make?