How much do plant operators make?

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2011 | 04:36 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by DopeFedZ
Thanks for the info man. I think im just going to go to HCC since they are a bit closer.
To be honest they will both have their plus's, it honestly depends on your ability to understang the concept behind how things work and common sense. A lot of the people in my plant that are the stronger of operators have some kind of mechanical background or the ability to grasp a lot of how things work. I for one believe that although one college may offer more then the other, a lot of it is how much you can really take in and want to learn.

Sadly there are the operators that show up every day to do as little as possible and have no care to advance themselves, but if you keep your head on straight there are many opportunities to move up and out of shift work.
Old 07-05-2011 | 02:55 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by NDTInspector
anybody took the Lyondell or Exxon test how was it what can I study
Im going to take my test tomorrow with Lyondell. What should I expect and what can I study? Thanks
Old 07-05-2011 | 03:04 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Rayexple5
Im going to take my test tomorrow with Lyondell. What should I expect and what can I study? Thanks
honestly, at this point you either have the knowledge or you don't. Alot of the stuff on the tests is mechanical aptitude type stuff. Also, there will be a reading comprehension section of some sort.

One thing that you can brush up on is basic math skills if you aren't strong there. You need to be able to do addition, subtraction, multiplication, division, fractions and decimals WITHOUT a calculator. I'm not trying to be funny...you'd be suprised how many people can't do basic math with a pencil and paper.

When i started testing, I had to remember how to actually do division problems...write them out and do them. It had been a while.
Old 07-14-2011 | 06:28 PM
On The Tree

Just wanted to update this thread and thank everyone for providing their work experiences and interview process in becoming a operator. I just received my job offer two days ago to work at Flint Hills in Corpus Christi. I'm really excited and can't wait to start my new job. I should be starting at the end of August. Thanks and good luck to others out there pursuing a career as a operator.
Old 07-27-2011 | 11:38 AM
Teching In

Congrats hitemup9nine I hope I land one soon
Old 06-12-2012 | 03:23 PM

On the 25th I have an interview with Exxon Mobil for an Internship at the Baytown Olefins Plant. Has anyone interviewed for Exxon, especially in Baytown? I just graduated from Lee with 2 year degree in PTECH. What questions should I ask? And what questions will they ask? Thanks. Will they ask me to explain equipment such as steam/gas turbines, cooling towers, furnace, etc., or do they just ask behavioral based questions?

Last edited by Josh818; 06-12-2012 at 03:47 PM.
Old 06-13-2012 | 11:50 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Josh818
On the 25th I have an interview with Exxon Mobil for an Internship at the Baytown Olefins Plant. Has anyone interviewed for Exxon, especially in Baytown? I just graduated from Lee with 2 year degree in PTECH. What questions should I ask? And what questions will they ask? Thanks. Will they ask me to explain equipment such as steam/gas turbines, cooling towers, furnace, etc., or do they just ask behavioral based questions?
I doubt they ask equipment questions in detail because you will go thru there training anyway and yes always expect behavioral questions and remember SAFETY if you can incorporate being safe in the answers it will be a huge plus
Old 06-14-2012 | 03:36 PM

Originally Posted by NDTInspector
I doubt they ask equipment questions in detail because you will go thru there training anyway and yes always expect behavioral questions and remember SAFETY if you can incorporate being safe in the answers it will be a huge plus
Thanks. Can you think of any questions I should ask about the company and internship?
Old 06-15-2012 | 07:06 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Josh818
Thanks. Can you think of any questions I should ask about the company and internship?
What the internship will provide you and what the chances are of you advancing from a intern into a full time operations position. A lot of people fail to realize just because you got a internship, it doesn't mean they will hire you on. Stand out in a good way and take from it all you can. At least by asking questions like when they may offer there next round of hiring and so on will help put in to perspective where you stand and if a offer can be expected depending on your internship.
Old 06-15-2012 | 07:21 AM
TECH Senior Member
20 Year Member

I'll have my certificate by the end of July in Summer school now taking my last two process classes. I've started applying at various place the past few months hopefully someone will bite. I'm just going to stay in school and finish up my last few classes and get the degree everything I have left are just my basics english, sociology, etc...I can probably take most of those online and be done within the next full semester or two.

I hope this pays off soon.
Old 06-15-2012 | 07:51 AM
Destroyer of Exotics

Originally Posted by DopeFedZ
I'll have my certificate by the end of July in Summer school now taking my last two process classes. I've started applying at various place the past few months hopefully someone will bite. I'm just going to stay in school and finish up my last few classes and get the degree everything I have left are just my basics english, sociology, etc...I can probably take most of those online and be done within the next full semester or two.

I hope this pays off soon.
It will putito!

Hurry up we got boost to add to that little white birdy of yours
Old 06-15-2012 | 01:19 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by 1sickz28
It will putito!

Hurry up we got boost to add to that little white birdy of yours
Who is this "we", that you speak of?
Old 06-15-2012 | 01:30 PM
Destroyer of Exotics

Originally Posted by 5w20
Who is this "we", that you speak of?
The keeper of the power supply!
Old 06-15-2012 | 01:38 PM
TECH Junkie

The keeper of the power supply!
Power.

Old 06-15-2012 | 01:41 PM
Destroyer of Exotics

Originally Posted by 5w20
We are taking the SHP supra to rpr today, tell that panurch c-los to pick you up head out in the formula. I'll have the ws6 there in street trim chillen
Old 06-15-2012 | 01:48 PM
TECH Junkie

We are taking the SHP supra to rpr today, tell that panurch c-los to pick you up head out in the formula. I'll have the ws6 there in street trim chillen
I have an obligation later this afternoon, so I don't think I will make it out there.
Old 06-15-2012 | 02:33 PM
Staging Lane

Ill be starting school nxt semester to get my ptec degree. Ive talked to alot of operators at the plants i have worked at the past yrs n they have given me a few pointers. Shell refinery is the plant i wana be at. I loved that place when i was a maintnance contractor there about a year ago.
Old 06-18-2012 | 07:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i just got my ptech degree and have been applying here locally and in the houston area's
Old 06-18-2012 | 07:37 PM
12 Second Club

I would be taking one of the 3 classes I need to finish my analyzer certification over the summer, but Lee can't get their **** together well enough to offer the classes at the right times we need them. So not enough people signed up for the only class being offered that I need still, so HOPEFULLY they will offer all 3 in the fall, this is getting old...
Old 07-02-2012 | 05:19 PM

Default Dow call back time

I took and passed the dow technical tech for a distribution operator trainee position in freeport texas. Does anyone know around how long they take to call if i were chosen for an interview? Also, does anyone know how much this position pays? Thanks, all info would be greatly appreciated

Quick Reply: How much do plant operators make?