DLP tv question

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2008, 10:59 AM
10-Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The only thing about judging your TV at Best Buy or what ever is that they do not calibrate the TV's properly. This can make a big difference. Anyone that gets a nice HD TV & surround sound should spend a few bucks & pick up a calibration DVD & get or borrow one of the sound meters used to calibrate your sound system. After doing all the calibrations on mine, it was SO much better sound & picture wise.

Avia & Digital Video Essentials are the 2 best last time I read up on them. Just go to the AVS forum I linked above & do your homework.
Old 01-24-2008, 11:09 AM
TECH Fanatic

It all depends on the DLP. If you compare a cheap DLP at Best Buy that has a crappy source and hasn't been calibrated... the LCD will look better. I've got a 40" Samsung LCD in my bedroom and a 57" Mitsubishi Diamond DLP in my living room. The LCD is a bit brighter and can be hung on my wall, but the colors on the DLP cannot be beat after I calibrated it. My DLP makes ZERO noise and has ZERO rainbow effect.

Both LCDs and DLPs are great TV's and both have their pro's and con's... but the biggest to me is price. I'll buy 3 57" DLPs before I buy 1 57" LCD/Plasma at the same price. With how frequently technology changes, I cannot justify spending $7,000 on a LCD TV that will be outdated within a matter of months.

As far as LED versus regular bulb... I'm not sold on the LED being brighter than my regular bulb DLP. Look into what each cost to replace and expected life, that might help your decision. I don't think the LED will be that much brighter than a high quality regular bulb DLP.
Old 01-27-2008, 07:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Haha, I feel pretty stupid for this, but I'll say it anyhow. I just found out 2 days ago that I was never getting HD tv b/c comcast gave us the wrong box. They swapped it out for the right box 2 days ago and were also now using component wires instead of the coax cable from the box to the tv and the HD is sweet! I just wanted to come back and retract my previous statement, that I would change tv's if I had to do it again. This tv is awesome with HD. I'd take a picture but it doesnt really do it justice. I'd highly recommend this tv.

61" Samsung LED DLP
Old 01-28-2008, 08:05 AM
9 Second Club NA

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sweet deal. I'm torn between a LED DLP and a LCD, both in a Samsung.
Old 01-28-2008, 11:07 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Dragaholic
Sweet deal. I'm torn between a LED DLP and a LCD, both in a Samsung.
I still think the LCD's have a better HD picture, but thats if your looking at the two side by side. once you have it in your house, there both great. Just depends on what size tv you want and how much you want to spend.