Sounds Like Rumble Strips

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2008, 12:59 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sounds Like Rumble Strips

Has anybody here shot gunned their "rumbling problem" just by changing or even getting their drive shaft balanced? I just got the rear end rebuilt, transmission rebuilt but still sounds like I'm driving over those highway rumble strips at certain speeds.

(Smart *** Trolls looking for thread flames not needed to respond here).

Thanks anybody for their opinion or shared experiences.

WS6Nightmare, I'm still willing to pay you for that drive shaft bud! (I know you didnt want anything for it).
Old 02-11-2008, 01:50 PM
12 Second Club

man i have sorta the same problem except mines not that bad....at 70mph it has a rythmic vibration to it....i think it may be my driveshaft as well but i also installed a polythane tranny mount cuz mine broke in half, but haven't gotten around to installing the motor mounts...and i have about 90,000 miles....but IMO i would say that the driveshaft is ur trouble maker.

Garrett
Old 02-11-2008, 02:03 PM
12 Second Club

Yes, I actually bought a new one....

if you have not seen all my postings about it......I cant find them all on ls1.. here is on my clubs forums. This is the DS.. old one and new one... old one broke 2 tail housings on my tranny from the rumble grumble of shaking it down.

http://www.ballisticspeed.com/phpBB3....php?f=3&t=106

here is the ls1 post of it.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...ort+driveshaft

and here is the broken tail house that this fucked up DS did to the tranny.

http://www.fquick.com/garages/viewga...ewimg&id=90110

http://www.fquick.com/garages/viewga...ewimg&id=90111

I now have a box of broken tail housings..

and a DS for sale.. LOL.. jk...
also the breaking was happening at high speed... I had the vib. down low, but once you get going.. man I thought it cleared out.. LOL
nope... problems dont fix themselves...

so a bad DS, luckily I have buddies who came and helped...
costed me total for 2 tail housings, and a new DS... 400 dollars... I got lucky.
Old 02-11-2008, 02:23 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^^^ EXACTLY what he said.. I had the same issue with vibration before I broke my tail housing and to be honest, I thought the vibration wasn't anything abnormal at the time. Hindsight is always 20/20 but like quickblade said, the problem won't fix itself. TAKE IT BACK WHERE YOU HAD IT SERVICED AND HAVE THEM LOOK AT IT ASAP! And drive slow!!!
Old 02-11-2008, 02:51 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by 6THZ28
^^^ EXACTLY what he said.. I had the same issue with vibration before I broke my tail housing and to be honest, I thought the vibration wasn't anything abnormal at the time. Hindsight is always 20/20 but like quickblade said, the problem won't fix itself. TAKE IT BACK WHERE YOU HAD IT SERVICED AND HAVE THEM LOOK AT IT ASAP! And drive slow!!!
x2... 6th and I have discussed this thourghly.. LOL....
Old 02-11-2008, 09:18 PM
Launching!

I guess maybe that's what could have caused the yoke on my rear end to come into play by 1/4 ".

Have any of you bought any drive shafts locally in Houston? Preferrably North side? The one's I called in the phone book seem to be out of business or something.
Old 02-11-2008, 09:51 PM
Teching In

Quick, that new DS still looks short, is that the installed depth in that pic? Does it settle in when the car is on the ground?
Old 02-12-2008, 07:27 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by 07-Z51-Vette
Quick, that new DS still looks short, is that the installed depth in that pic? Does it settle in when the car is on the ground?
I measured it and it is about 1" that is out of the tail.
So compared to the other DS have 1" that went into the tail, I was not too worried.

But there is more grab on the yoke, and it does not move around the way the other DS moved around on the splines. other one would shake real easy.

Wise of when you grab it and try to move it, this one has much more bite.