FallenRoughneck.com

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2008, 09:25 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default FallenRoughneck.com

http://www.fallenroughneck.com
FallenRoughneck.com is an online based charitable organization to give immediate support to oilfield workers nationwide who have been hurt on the job through no fault of their own, or have been struck by a natural disaster. Once selected through nomination, and confirmation it will be our goal to confer assistance within 48-72 hours. This "on the spot" type of assistance will give the best opportunity for family to remain stable during, and after an accident.

Please have a look..

i didnt post here to seek donations.. but to maybe encourage someone to step up to help in whatever industry they are in..and to get some pointers on the online based model being used..maybe some tips on the site..

Last edited by Dr.Accumulator; 02-27-2008 at 01:40 PM.
Old 02-27-2008, 09:29 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

?

you should contact Admin to see if you can become a sponsor....
Old 02-27-2008, 10:16 AM
TECH Senior Member

Hmm, I'm going to go search for http://www.engineerwithastubbedtoe.com maybe someone will give me some money.

Seriously, (a) Roughnecking is dangerous as fsck (I spent a month at a rig site while in college, I was mud logging), (b) insurance is available. Not cheap, but available. If one puts ones self at risk like that and does not bother to buy insurance to CYA, then they shouldn't expect to have handouts when the worst happens.

Sounds like a good idea in principle, but it seems that every time I turn around someone's got their hands out to take money...
Old 02-27-2008, 11:24 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Camaroholic
Hmm, I'm going to go search for http://www.engineerwithastubbedtoe.com maybe someone will give me some money.

Seriously, (a) Roughnecking is dangerous as fsck (I spent a month at a rig site while in college, I was mud logging), (b) insurance is available. Not cheap, but available. If one puts ones self at risk like that and does not bother to buy insurance to CYA, then they shouldn't expect to have handouts when the worst happens.

Sounds like a good idea in principle, but it seems that every time I turn around someone's got their hands out to take money...
Insurance will pay your house note, car note, etc. when your off work due to an accident? Thats odd, never heard of that before. If you would of kept reading before opening your mouth you would of realized its not only for on the job problems. Its for things such as a house fire. Death in the immediate family where they need a week off. Anything of that sort.

Also if u can read and comprehend, this is a CHARITABLE site! Which means NOBODY makes money off it! U have to be a low son of a bitch to bash a CHARITY thats trying to help others out!
Old 02-27-2008, 12:09 PM
TECH Resident

I think he was more upset with the fact that charitable organization is supporting those affected by reasonably forseen consequences. Meaning a roughneck getting injured at work is incredibly unfortunate, but it is a fairly common occurance and a recognized attribute of the work. But its all the same....there were charities giving money to Katrina victims who lived below sea level, didnt have flood insurance, and lost their homes to flooding. Or the government/all the 08 candidates trying to bail out those who overbought on their homes with ARMs........etc.

IMO this charity is no different than charities that support policemen, firemen, and other in dangerous lines of work. If don't agree with it, just don't donate.
Old 02-27-2008, 12:30 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by SilverSierra

IMO this charity is no different than charities that support policemen, firemen, and other in dangerous lines of work. If don't agree with it, just don't donate.
Thank you.. that is a great clarification
Old 02-27-2008, 01:31 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 01'WS6
Insurance will pay your house note, car note, etc. when your off work due to an accident? Thats odd, never heard of that before. If you would of kept reading before opening your mouth you would of realized its not only for on the job problems. Its for things such as a house fire. Death in the immediate family where they need a week off. Anything of that sort.

http://www.aflac.com <- the dang duck commercials, remember?

Police and firemen are public servants. Most of the time injured or killed while doing something in the line of public duty. Roughnecks aren't. They're drilling for oil/gas - and oil/gas companies are seeing record profits right now while gouging the consumer. Sorry.

I know it's a charitable site. I wish them well. I just find it a bit odd, that's all.
Old 02-27-2008, 01:34 PM
TECH Addict

Hazardous line of work and everyone knows it. Thats why they get paid more than every other grunt laborer. I'll give my money to breast cancer or to help kids learning. Not someone that doesnt have the sense to avoid jobs with 25% injury rates. And yes, I have been on and around ALOT of rigs.
Old 02-27-2008, 01:36 PM
Staging Lane

i didnt post here to seek donations.. but to maybe encourage someone to step up to help in whatever industry they are in..and to get some pointers on the online based model being used..maybe some tips on the site..
Old 02-27-2008, 01:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

camaroholic had some valid points, as did xfactor.... ill piggyback off him-i donated to help the pediatric brain tumor foundation this year, and that helps innocent children.

Grown men who work in warzones(like myself) or any other hazardous job know and understand the consequences of their actions when they sign the dotted line.

The idea of your charity is awesome and thats fine and dandy, however, if the guy working the drill gets hurt and was not bright enough to put away some of that hard earned cash for an emergency fund, then he shot himself in the foot.
Old 02-27-2008, 06:26 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Camaroholic
http://www.aflac.com <- the dang duck commercials, remember?

Police and firemen are public servants. Most of the time injured or killed while doing something in the line of public duty. Roughnecks aren't. They're drilling for oil/gas - and oil/gas companies are seeing record profits right now while gouging the consumer. Sorry.

I know it's a charitable site. I wish them well. I just find it a bit odd, that's all.
I wasn't even going to touch this thread since my opinion is a bias one since I work on a drilling rig and was once a roughneck but.... Roughnecks do provide a public service their just not public servents. If there wern't any roughnecks out there you would be walking to work every day. There wouldn't be any gas to warm your house in the winter months. And if you think that the companies that a roughneck works for has an impact on the price of oil/gas, you need to get your facts straight. I don't know of any major oil company that does their own drilling.
Old 02-27-2008, 07:11 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by playtoy
I wasn't even going to touch this thread since my opinion is a bias one since I work on a drilling rig and was once a roughneck but.... Roughnecks do provide a public service their just not public servents. If there wern't any roughnecks out there you would be walking to work every day. There wouldn't be any gas to warm your house in the winter months. And if you think that the companies that a roughneck works for has an impact on the price of oil/gas, you need to get your facts straight. I don't know of any major oil company that does their own drilling.

I am sorry man, but its not a public service. Its commerce, plain and simple. Behind everything we use and consume everyday, there are workers putting things together, period. By and large (from what I have seen), roughnecks are opportunists that are chasing the dollar and have no regard for their or others safety. Not all, but the majority. I have gotten hurt atleast three times just being on different rigs and a hand doesnt pay attention or have sense. It is a shitty, nasty, but well paying job for what you put up with. These same people could be hanging drywall, laying tile, or doing whatever. Its a choice they made, and not a position of entitlement or high regard.

BTW, you a tool pusher, company man, or what?
Old 02-27-2008, 07:41 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by xfactor_pitbulls
I am sorry man, but its not a public service. Its commerce, plain and simple. Behind everything we use and consume everyday, there are workers putting things together, period. By and large (from what I have seen), roughnecks are opportunists that are chasing the dollar and have no regard for their or others safety. Not all, but the majority. I have gotten hurt atleast three times just being on different rigs and a hand doesnt pay attention or have sense. It is a shitty, nasty, but well paying job for what you put up with. These same people could be hanging drywall, laying tile, or doing whatever. Its a choice they made, and not a position of entitlement or high regard.

BTW, you a tool pusher, company man, or what?
I'm not saying that they are in a position of entitlement or high regard, I'm saying that these men are risking their lives to provide a service for every person that posts on this board. True everyone of us is out there for the money, why else would anyone do it. But Dr.Accumulator starts this thread and the bashing begins. Insurance will NOT cover all expenses when someone is injured. This is a way for people in need to keep from falling behind when they are injured doing a service that not many people will do. With out them the oilfield doesn't exist.

And I'm a Driller. I watch 7 roughnecks work 12 hours a day.
Old 02-28-2008, 09:09 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by xfactor_pitbulls
By and large (from what I have seen), roughnecks are opportunists that are chasing the dollar and have no regard for their or others safety. Not all, but the majority.
I have to say you are wrong.The large majority of rig workers want to work and move up in the ranks. Losing a worker generally means there was either a conflict, which happens at any job, or they get an offer from another drilling contractor. Better schedule, closer to home, higher position.. ect..ect.. Your also saying that people Don't want to go home to their family? And they want to hurt their co workers? That just shows your ignorance...

Ive been in this business for a long time.... everyone wants to go home with all their fingers and toes.. most work hard enough to deserve the pay they get.. if they dont the driller or toolpusher wasnt keeping an eye on them..making them work for the 20 - 30 dollars and hour they get..

not all circumstances can/will be covered by insurance or savings as some claim...