riding a motorcycle in houston? smart?

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2008, 11:49 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well looks like i'll look into get a honda crx and slapping the most obnoxious exhaust on it that i can.

Originally Posted by Nine Ball
Outside of beltway 8 isn't a prob. Inside of the beltway, you pretty much have to be nuts to commute on a bike. Screw that, I've done it.
did you throw it in the back of the viper on rainy days lol...
Old 03-10-2008, 03:06 PM
Teching In

which way are you traveling on 45? If u can take the HOV lane then it decreases some of the risks.
Old 03-11-2008, 11:28 PM
TECH Addict

both ways, yeah that lane looks good for a bike but still bad drivers every where else. so dieing percent is still like 75 lol.
Old 03-11-2008, 11:38 PM
Launching!

i'll sell ya a cbr :-) pm me for details
Old 03-12-2008, 12:30 AM
TECH Apprentice

i hade a 600rr for 5 days, spent the next 3 months in a wheelchair, then the next 3 learning how to walk again, now, 9 months later, i almost have gotten rid of the limp and find out here during spring break if i can play tennis again

im lookin to buy another bike as soon as the insurance claim gets settled
Old 03-12-2008, 01:03 AM
Teching In

http://www.coolerscooterdirect.com/

I think you should get one of these bad boys.... 4 different colors (I personally would go with black)

however, she only gets up to 12mph... hmm. could you supercharge that or something?

I've thought about getting something like that to take tailgating at the Iowa football games I could see myself getting an OWI tho.

on a serious note tho, my dad told me to buy a bike... our family friend is selling her Honda Shadow for only 1500. as far as I know its a 600cc.... but we have soooo many dumbass drivers here **apparently red means go?**... I have enough close calls in my car... I dont need those close calls on a bike.
Old 03-12-2008, 01:04 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by jwhert
i hade a 600rr for 5 days, spent the next 3 months in a wheelchair, then the next 3 learning how to walk again, now, 9 months later, i almost have gotten rid of the limp and find out here during spring break if i can play tennis again

i'd kick your butt at tennis
Old 03-12-2008, 07:18 AM
TECH Fanatic

I rock mine 4/5 days a week. On sat/sun you wont catch me in a car period if its sunny. I love the bike, and the gas milage, but like all, I HATE CAGERS (car drivers, for the non-biker lingo savvy people). I've been cut off, swerved on, lane blocked, and anything else you can think of. But, my dumbass loves the passion and thrill of 2 wheels, so I do it daily.
Old 03-12-2008, 08:14 AM
10-Second Club

Well, my g/f works in an E.R. & she pretty much calls bike riders organ donors....so that should give you an idea. Houston is not the place to commute on a bike if you enjoy & want to have a full life.

Originally Posted by jwhert
i hade a 600rr for 5 days, spent the next 3 months in a wheelchair.....

Going for a Darwin award?
Old 03-12-2008, 08:24 AM
Launching!

Would "What does not kill you, makes you stronger" apply to this Modsquad?
Old 03-12-2008, 08:41 AM
10-Second Club

Or maybe another cliche like "get back on the horse if he bucks you".

How about the biker saying, "it's not if you go down, it's when".

If you commute in Houston on a motorcycle, you either don't understand statistics or don't value your life as much as you value the reason you ride.

There are way too many morons doing anything but paying attention to the road.

Weekend back road cruising is one thing, but navigating rush hour traffic is just asking for trouble.

Oh, and to the riders that complain, some sport bike riders are often idiots too, cutting people off zipping in & out of people, don't bitch about other motorist if you drive your bike like a suicidal moron.
Old 03-12-2008, 11:12 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by jay_dub87
http://www.coolerscooterdirect.com/

I think you should get one of these bad boys.... 4 different colors (I personally would go with black)

however, she only gets up to 12mph... hmm. could you supercharge that or something?

I've thought about getting something like that to take tailgating at the Iowa football games I could see myself getting an OWI tho.

on a serious note tho, my dad told me to buy a bike... our family friend is selling her Honda Shadow for only 1500. as far as I know its a 600cc.... but we have soooo many dumbass drivers here **apparently red means go?**... I have enough close calls in my car... I dont need those close calls on a bike.
buddy of mine has a couple we used to ride around on, there pretty sweet
Old 03-12-2008, 11:14 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 1meantransam
buddy of mine has a couple we used to ride around on, there pretty sweet
I'd want to get the trailer too.... more beer...
Old 03-12-2008, 11:19 AM
TECH Addict

or just make your own 18 wheeler edition and make the patent for it.... plenty of beer and it can come with a mullet wig and everything.
Old 03-12-2008, 11:26 AM
Teching In

or just make your own 18 wheeler edition and make the patent for it.... plenty of beer and it can come with a mullet wig and everything.

....completely stocked with cans of Budweiser and Hot Pockets.... and a nascar t-shirt as an added bonus
Old 03-12-2008, 11:30 AM
TECH Addict

Old 03-12-2008, 11:50 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Modsquad
Or maybe another cliche like "get back on the horse if he bucks you".

How about the biker saying, "it's not if you go down, it's when".

If you commute in Houston on a motorcycle, you either don't understand statistics or don't value your life as much as you value the reason you ride.

There are way too many morons doing anything but paying attention to the road.

Weekend back road cruising is one thing, but navigating rush hour traffic is just asking for trouble.

Oh, and to the riders that complain, some sport bike riders are often idiots too, cutting people off zipping in & out of people, don't bitch about other motorist if you drive your bike like a suicidal moron.
Now lets not be too dramatic here. While I do agree that commuting in Houston on a bike is dangerous, there are many ways you can alleviate the risk of the situation.

I live in an apartment off of Westheimer and the West Beltway and I was able to successfully commute to and forth the University of Houston five days out of the week on my bike. I would take Westhemier or Richmond all the way from the west end of town to the east end, where I would either go through the montrose area or end up at the stadium at West Alabama. It doesn't get more "urban houston" then that.

Just be smart about it. Stick to the off hours and don't drive at night. You wouldn't catch me trying to tackle rush hour either. However, it did come in handy one time when because I got caught up in the jam that was caused by a 45/610 S collision and I was able to ride my bike on the break down lane past approx 40 minutes of stand still traffic. This was during the broad daylight hours though, so that was tricky. Dusk or night, don't even risk it. You'll get taken out before you even knew you were in danger.
Old 03-12-2008, 12:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I driven over 50,000 miles in Houston on my previous bikes to commute across town to work. Its not a big deal, just that you got no radio, well at least for me. You just need to anticpate your next move when considering "what if" this or that car does this. I have had two wrecks happen in front of me or a couple cars ahead at at 60-70mph. Nothing happened to me, just have to be on your feet know whats around you, and act accordingly.
Old 03-12-2008, 12:08 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by jay_dub87
i'd kick your butt at tennis
yea, for sure

its been 9 months since ive held a racket, it use to throw me off in high school when i would go a weekend w/ out playin
Old 03-12-2008, 12:08 PM
On The Tree

well with the way gas prices are i was thinking of maybe getting a 650 cbr or GSX-R, something that gets 50+ mpg... but when i think about it houston drivers suck *** and i don't know how safe it really is to drive here, soon i'll be commuting about 70 miles a day and a gallon of gas for that sounds good to me, compared to half a tank. who else rides and how do you feel about it?
I'll tell you the truth dude there is no way in hell you'll get 50mpg on a SS bike maybe 40 if your nice but if you like to have some fun on your ride more like 35 (still better than any car that will run that fast). The other thing is everything you'll save in gas you'll spend on maintenance or at least waste a lot of time doing things like valve adjustments. The real money sucker will be rubber if you get the kind of tires that belong on a sports bike you'll be lucky if they last 7,500 miles. So if you looking to save money this might not be the best idea still it makes the commute a ton more fun.

Quick Reply: riding a motorcycle in houston? smart?