I'm going to fess up! It's mine! What a shame!

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2008, 02:46 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I like the car, just don't like the choice of engines. A 454 LSX would look much better sitting there.
Old 04-22-2008, 02:52 PM
9 Second Club

Talking

I've been itching to do a 2JZ 4th gen

car is very nice. Major props. I would drive it any day.

I might cut off the tips sooner or later though
Old 04-22-2008, 03:04 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 46 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. T
Because rack/pinion has some bump steer and really serves no better purpose for handling, done it in my Bel Airs and other Camaros. Done it on my other cars and its nice to say you have but serves no better purpose. The rear leaf springs will support more power to the ground. I was told this by Detroit Speed of all people! Same reason why you see leaf springs in Vette to this very day. Trust me I have used every component ever on these cars, and they do very little to improve in handling. I have the Link setup in my '69 Camaro and all it did for me is make the car ride rougher, and it can't handle all the power that motor will make efficiently. DSE guys told me this! The 1st Gen Camaro is hampered by the location of the shocks, so even if you bought $1million dollar shocks it won't handle anywhere close to a modern car. Its just part of a old design that can't be improved upon, unless you tear it up badly and raise up the shock towers to the hood!
I know Kyle and Stacy at DSE personally, I find it hard to believe they told you to stick with leaf springs over their new 4-bar rear axle setup. Both Kyle and Stacy were GM suspension design engineers, their stuff is well built. Corvettes have ONE leaf, and it is transverse across the width of each axle, it does not take the same loading as an old school leaf spring car. Corvette rearends are junk anyways, they can't handle any real power.

Bump steer is only when you use a factory subframe, since it wasn't designed for the rack/pinion setup. There are aftermarket subframes that were designed for the rack, just like a new car has. No bumpsteer issues. I agree that a rack on a stock subframe is a compromise and it isn't that good. Had one of those too.

front and rear shock locations are changed with aftermarket subframes. Some setups use the C6 Vette components, and work very well.
Old 04-22-2008, 03:28 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,163 Likes on 756 Posts

Mr. T. I'm just saying you are posting on a GM site, so most guys understandably would prefer to see GM cars stay GM powered.
Old 04-22-2008, 03:35 PM
TECH Regular

That thing is pretty bad ***.
Old 04-22-2008, 03:49 PM

Originally Posted by Nine Ball
I know Kyle and Stacy at DSE personally, I find it hard to believe they told you to stick with leaf springs over their new 4-bar rear axle setup. Both Kyle and Stacy were GM suspension design engineers, their stuff is well built. Corvettes have ONE leaf, and it is transverse across the width of each axle, it does not take the same loading as an old school leaf spring car. Corvette rearends are junk anyways, they can't handle any real power.

Bump steer is only when you use a factory subframe, since it wasn't designed for the rack/pinion setup. There are aftermarket subframes that were designed for the rack, just like a new car has. No bumpsteer issues. I agree that a rack on a stock subframe is a compromise and it isn't that good. Had one of those too.

front and rear shock locations are changed with aftermarket subframes. Some setups use the C6 Vette components, and work very well.
Yeah thats what they told me. Again, I have the 4 Link setup in two of my other Camaros and I honestly don't feel the increased effects of it per $ value. I can only say after I added the 4 links and stuff that the suspension got rock hard and a bit uncomfortable. I have a 4 link in a '56 Bel Air I built and it was the same issue. Yeah typically bumpsteer is related to the stock subframes with rack. Who knows I have to leave something to do later I guess!
Old 04-22-2008, 03:51 PM

Originally Posted by Pro Stock John
Mr. T. I'm just saying you are posting on a GM site, so most guys understandably would prefer to see GM cars stay GM powered.
Yeah I know, I don't have anything against what anyone says here. So I hope nobody thought I did. I'm a real muscle car guy and have dozens of F-Bodies, and all of them were in general the same idea. I wanted to do something different this time. Not saying all my cars will be this way from now on, currently I have a built v8 twin turbo project for a '69 Camaro!
Old 04-22-2008, 04:01 PM
TECH Addict

Your problem is you have to much money and I can help you with that. My 69 needs all kinds of updates, let's git er done.
Old 04-22-2008, 04:01 PM

Originally Posted by Elite_Hot_Rod
Your problem is you have to much money and I can help you with that. My 69 needs all kinds of updates, let's git er done.
haha hey how nice is your '69? Maybe I'll buy it!
Old 04-22-2008, 04:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Nine Ball
Who does your paint/body work? I have a couple 1st gens to get done.
Tony

I used to work for the owner of the custom 34 Ford below. The shop that did the fab work for the running boards and the fenders, plus all the paint, is Double D Custom Rods (dot com). The whole thing is ALL custom work. The engine is a crate Mustang Cobra motor - either a 1996 or 1998, can't recall for sure. The paint on that thing is unbelievable. It's show car quality for sure. I'm sure he'll do less than show car paint, but I doubt he'll do a Maaco paint job - from what I hear the man wants his name known by his work. He doesn't put crap on the street.

I was at his shop once and the Vette on his website was an unpainted shell at that time. I haven't seen it in person since it was painted, but they do FINE work.

Old 04-22-2008, 05:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Sorry, but I wouldn't own that car.

Just because I'd drive it everyday and depreciate the value too much. I couldn't have a nice car like that and leave it setting in a garage/shop and just take it to shows etc. I enjoy driving them too much and would drive the **** out of it.
Old 04-22-2008, 06:40 PM
12 Second Club

I think most people like the car, just not the tips.
Old 04-22-2008, 06:56 PM
Trunion King

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Very nice car indeed.
Old 04-22-2008, 07:09 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Mr. T
LOL no, its just a joke. I did own a '77 Datsun 280z Zapp Edition!

Mr. T. You have my heart on that one. My very first car I bought when I was 16 was a 1974 Datsun 260 ZX. I dont know what the other letter you had behind it but could you educate me on what that is?

On another note, if you want to be different than a Buick Regal Grand National, I have a perfect car for you to "modify/custom". It's a 1989 HARDTOP Turbo TransAm. Google it and see how kind of rare it is if your interested.

Third, I see a lot of envy here. It's a nice car, probably more than half of us here including would probably not have the money to pour into a passion like that, keep them coming.
Old 04-22-2008, 08:11 PM
Staging Lane

i dont think its that bad not quite my cuppa tea but what ever gets you up lol.. bet itll still run like hell

looks like it was done hella good too.
Old 04-22-2008, 08:11 PM
Banned

thats a gorgeous car, only thing I don't like is the engine of choice. However, if I had an unlimited budget to do a build, I might do something "crazy" too.
Old 04-22-2008, 09:22 PM
Teching In

Mr.T is your 69 camaro silver with black stripes?
Old 04-22-2008, 09:26 PM
TECH Resident

The Justin Timberlake on the screen says it all.
Old 04-22-2008, 09:34 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

if i owned that car, i would be driving up and down the beltway running the eztag and trying to race pickup trucks and ricers on westheimer
cruzin down homestead and 2nd ward chunking dueces
doing burnouts in a walmart parking lot, u name it
Old 04-22-2008, 09:42 PM
On The Tree

hmmmm....those seats do look very custom i must say...but they also look very familiar

Quick Reply: I'm going to fess up! It's mine! What a shame!