Help! Mineral Rights/Company trying to lease them!

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2008, 10:49 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DJ88FAN
yep...leasing up everything around them is a common practice...i am a company man that drills these wells. they are expanding out to see just how far they can go with these wells in the shale...
I still thank a 22 year lease is rediculous. In my oppinion, if they had any intent to drill they would take a 3 year lease with maybe even a 2 year option and get it done in that time period.
Old 05-13-2008, 11:16 AM
TECH Enthusiast

The well will be done long before that. The lease is the amount of time they think they can profittably get NG from that area.
Old 05-13-2008, 11:40 AM
Launching!

The hell with that I would never sign a lease for 22 years with out some sort of clause stating that they had to produce in X amount of time or it was released. And if they are done long before that then there will still be no neeed for that long of a lease. Once production is started it can not be leased again until production has stopped and the lease has been released.
Old 05-13-2008, 11:47 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by O6DODGE
I still thank a 22 year lease is rediculous. In my oppinion, if they had any intent to drill they would take a 3 year lease with maybe even a 2 year option and get it done in that time period.
The lease says: "...shall be for a term of three (3) years from the date hereof, and for as long thereafter as oil or gas or other substances...are produced in paying quantities from the Mineral Estate." I do not like the part in bold. The rep. verbally said this would be for 20-25 years of drilling/producing but the clause implies FOREVER it seems. If they do not produce within 3 years the lease must be signed again and we get another $15,000, as stated in the Agreement. I have also asked for royalties BEFORE the minerals are processed, royalty payment no later than 60 days after the first delivery of minerals, and to add "Lessee shall not cause any explosions or eruptions to occur during the drilling operation, and any such occurence which leads to damage of the land or property shall be covered by Lessee entirely." Also, there is a "Statement of Fact Form", which says if they find these rights belong to someone else, we have to pay back the money. I have asked they have a period of 30 days to find this out, because once spent I WILL NOT be able to pay this amount of money back!
Old 05-13-2008, 11:59 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by fasttagurl
The lease says: "...shall be for a term of three (3) years from the date hereof, and for as long thereafter as oil or gas or other substances...are produced in paying quantities from the Mineral Estate." I do not like the part in bold. The rep. verbally said this would be for 20-25 years of drilling/producing but the clause implies FOREVER it seems. If they do not produce within 3 years the lease must be signed again and we get another $15,000, as stated in the Agreement. I have also asked for royalties BEFORE the minerals are processed, royalty payment no later than 60 days after the first delivery of minerals, and to add "Lessee shall not cause any explosions or eruptions to occur during the drilling operation, and any such occurence which leads to damage of the land or property shall be covered by Lessee entirely." Also, there is a "Statement of Fact Form", which says if they find these rights belong to someone else, we have to pay back the money. I have asked they have a period of 30 days to find this out, because once spent I WILL NOT be able to pay this amount of money back!

Now here is where a good attorney would come in and delete that clause and put one in that says something along these lines. If the Oil company comes to find they maid a mistake in title it is there loss and no money is to be returned.

It is the responsobilty of the land man to be positive that your the correct owner of the minerals. If not they will ask you to sign a ratification clearing you of the minerals but as long as you have deleted the clause you will keep the money and the landman would probably loose his job. LOL
Old 05-13-2008, 12:03 PM
Launching!

Also it is true once the start production they will hold the rights to your minerals until production has stopped.
Old 05-13-2008, 05:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Be realistic. It isn't like they can just suck out all the gas down there in a specified time. It costs millions to get a well up and going. They have to recoup their costs then make a profit.

I don't see what the problem is. You're getting money for doing nothing.
Old 05-13-2008, 06:11 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Klive
try google.... all the answers you need will be there... barnet shelf.... HAHAHA
I know about the shelf, the buzz around work right now is that there is a lot of coring going on in the shale around the Appalachians and the drilling there will be much more profitable than the Barnett. I wish I had enough $$$ to invest in a few certain oil companies right now........
Old 05-13-2008, 06:24 PM
Staging Lane

If it is 15k for the lease that would be fine, if you are getting royalties from what is produced. They hold the rights as long as the well is producing (which means you are getting a paycheck if you have royalties, so really the longer it produces the better it is for you, gas wells dont produce for 20 years and that is what they produce out of the barnett shale)

I dont think there would be much subsidence from the production but there could be some and could cause cracks in your house and foundation. I would try to get something added about them paying for any damages from subsidence for at least the time you plan to own the home if you can.
Old 05-13-2008, 06:28 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 91Z28
I know about the shelf, the buzz around work right now is that there is a lot of coring going on in the shale around the Appalachians and the drilling there will be much more profitable than the Barnett. I wish I had enough $$$ to invest in a few certain oil companies right now........
Its not a shelf, you dont get a large buildup of shale on the shelf, you get it deep water offshore hence why it is called the Fortworth Basin
Old 05-13-2008, 06:37 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by jmorgan
Its not a shelf, you dont get a large buildup of shale on the shelf, you get it deep water offshore hence why it is called the Fortworth Basin
I was just calling it what he was, I should have put it in quotes. I know it is commonly referred to as "The Barnett Shale".
Old 05-13-2008, 07:00 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Greed4Speed
Be realistic. It isn't like they can just suck out all the gas down there in a specified time. It costs millions to get a well up and going. They have to recoup their costs then make a profit.

I don't see what the problem is. You're getting money for doing nothing.
Yes they can. If they are really interested in the area, they can do what ever it take to get a well up in a reasonable amount of time. I work in the buisness and when we take a lease it is for 3 years with a 2 year option and if that is our hot spot we have our well up and producing in the first 3 years. NOw once its producing then yes the lease is held by the oil company. It could take 20 years or even 1 year for it to run dry but once its producing your getting paid.

On a side note I did a little askin around at work today and $15k is the going rate on minerals in the shale. So I would jump all over it and sign a 3 year lease for that price.
Old 05-13-2008, 07:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

They can get the WELL up in a certain amount of time once they start, but they can't get gas out in a given amount of time. There is no guarantee how much a well will produce. They are also drilling like mad around here and just because they may want to drill in an area quickly doesn't mean they will be able to. You never know what will happen to slow everything down.

If you work in the industry you'd think you would understand that better. So what do you do exactly?

Last edited by Greed4Speed; 05-13-2008 at 07:23 PM.
Old 05-13-2008, 07:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 91Z28
They're not OIL companies either. Oil companies deal with crude. This is natural gas we're talking about.
Old 05-13-2008, 07:19 PM
TECH Resident

They're not OIL companies either. Oil companies deal with crude. This is natural gas we're talking about.
I should have said drilling companies then, you've got me there. I've heard BHI is already setting up in Pennsylvania, I'm sure there are others that I haven't gotten wind of. I'm used to the Gulf Coast being the main game in town as far as energy goes, it'll be strange if the Appalachians get to be extremely active.l
Old 05-13-2008, 07:22 PM
Launching!

They can get the WELL up in a certain amount of time, but they can't get gas out in a given amount of time. there is no guarantee how much a well will produce.

If you work in the industry you'd think you would undertsand that better. So what do you do exactly?
That is what I said. If you go and read all of it I stated that "once the well is producing it could produce for 20 year or it could go dry in 1 year."

I do they same thing that the person that knocked on her door and asked for the lease does. I am a Petroleum Landman.
Old 05-13-2008, 07:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

My bad... I was reading it differently as in they had to finish production in 3 years. I just couldn't see that happening.
Old 05-13-2008, 07:37 PM
Launching!

Its cool didnt mean to get in a pissing match with you either. Yea there is no way to know how long it will take to complete production.
Old 05-13-2008, 10:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

What are some of the major stimulation companies in that area? Halliburton? Schlumburger? BJ? Any of those?
Old 05-13-2008, 10:17 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by SPEEDYws6
What are some of the major stimulation companies in that area? Halliburton? Schlumburger? BJ? Any of those?
As far as directional work goes Crescent, Ryan, and Leam are extremely active there.

Quick Reply: Help! Mineral Rights/Company trying to lease them!