any KB homeowners?

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2008 | 09:13 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by TXZ28LS1
yeah man, thats my only thing. ive seen some subdivision here in san antonio and they look ghetto man. lennar, armadillo, and DR horton are all nice homes. i figure KB should have good homes considering there customer service is like top 3. but then again i want a house that i would have no problems sellin if i had to though.
I'd really just look at everything that particular subdivision has to offer. My friends moved into a place off of Potranco Rd....nice house, nice development, one of the better builders. But the houses were literally right on top of each other.

I doubt the next buyer in line will care too much about the builder if you have nice curb appeal.
Old 05-27-2008 | 09:16 AM
Banned

You get what you pay for
Old 05-27-2008 | 09:16 AM
TECH Apprentice

I will add that KB got a bad rep in San Antonio back in the late 90's. There was one particular housing development around the Potranco and 151 area that had MAJOR issues with their foundations that they refused to fix. Besides that, it's been typical complaints that every builder has. I think the KB name was tainted from that, but they've come back up since then.
Old 05-27-2008 | 10:04 AM
TECH Fanatic

We built a Choice home back in 2006. No problems yet!

just wish we had gotten more touchup paint...d'oh!
Old 05-27-2008 | 10:09 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by the right formula
I still own a KB home in San Antonio that I'm renting. I bought one of the model homes so I'm guessing they probably take a little more "pride" in building those. I've had zero major problems and the few small problems I had they took care of without any issues.

From what I understand, just because you go with one builder over another doesn't mean the guys actually building it are going to be any different....they all hire workers from the same pool of people.

My advice is, if you're actually building the house, is to check on it often when it's being built and make sure they're not cutting corners.

I will add that if you go with the cheapest houses, you're going to attract the "cheapest people"....my old housing development is only about 6 years old and it's already starting to look pretty ghetto.
Exactly. Most people who say they make crummy houses don't own one, rather they just go by "what they hear". Fact is that the crews used by builders for just about all houses are the same. There are framing crews, foundation crews, ect ect that move from location to location. The difference is in the superintendent and if they are held accountable for their work.
Old 05-27-2008 | 10:31 AM
On The Tree

ok i do concrete work for all the above buliders and more.... they all buy there materials from the same places.... the only dif is the super that builds them... which in most cases is a kid right out of college and its there first job... so most work about 8 mos to 1 year then move on and another new recruit comes in and takes over.... the only one i know uses better concrete is Perry homes they use 5 sack for flat work and 3000 psi or 5 sack for slabs vs 2500 psi that the rest use
Old 05-27-2008 | 01:27 PM
Teching In

the KB homes are like assembly line homes, imo opinion they suck, cheap material and cheap labor = crappy home. Pioneer, Meritage Homes, are really good homes the top dog how ever is David Weekly, but they are also pricy, If you want quality, a good price and curb appeal Meritage Homes is one of the top dogs.
Old 05-27-2008 | 05:44 PM
TECH Addict

I'd really just look at everything that particular subdivision has to offer. My friends moved into a place off of Potranco Rd....nice house, nice development, one of the better builders. But the houses were literally right on top of each other.

I doubt the next buyer in line will care too much about the builder if you have nice curb appeal.
Where off of Potranco?
My house was built by Buffington, what is now Wilshire homes, and have no complaints about it what-so-ever.
Old 05-27-2008 | 05:53 PM
TECH Apprentice

KB Homes arent as bad as some of you make them out to be, yea they have a bad reputation from things out of their control in the past but they are also one of the largest builders in the U.S. apples to apples no one can meet their price per square foot, but you cannot compare a 100k-150k home/builder against a 250k-300k home/builder. Are there better builders than KB? of course but the real question is are there better builders in the same price range and square footage, and the answer is no. KB is a fortune 200 company. IMO KB is a great for the first time homebuyer. after the home is built it's not like a car they don't stamp KB Home across the outside of the house so when you go to sell it chances are unless the potential customer drove by the location while KB was building they wouldn't even know it was a KB Home, so to answer the o/p question it shouldn't affect home value at all.

Last edited by 02 WS-6; 05-27-2008 at 09:48 PM.
Old 05-28-2008 | 08:00 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Sarge_13
Where off of Potranco?
My house was built by Buffington, what is now Wilshire homes, and have no complaints about it what-so-ever.

They were down across from the super HEB....don't recall the subdivision name.

I guess I should clarify that pretty much all new housing developments are going to build right on top of each other....I'd check out the lot sizes, if they're treed or not (I hate how they just level all the trees prior to building), and the ammenities they'll offer. My development (Bridgewood) has a pretty impressive pool and kids area.

Personally, I was shopping for a big backyard, cul-de-sac lot, and no house behind me. KB happened to have this for the most affordable price....but I would have gone with any builder that met my criterea.
Old 05-28-2008 | 08:03 AM
TECH Addict

They were down across from the super HEB....don't recall the subdivision name.

I guess I should clarify that pretty much all new housing developments are going to build right on top of each other....I'd check out the lot sizes, if they're treed or not (I hate how they just level all the trees prior to building), and the ammenities they'll offer. My development (Bridgewood) has a pretty impressive pool and kids area.

Personally, I was shopping for a big backyard, cul-de-sac lot, and no house behind me. KB happened to have this for the most affordable price....but I would have gone with any builder that met my criterea.
Oh ok. I have a friend who lived in the subdivision that was behind the Shell station just down the road from the HEB
Old 05-28-2008 | 05:04 PM
TECH Veteran
20 Year Member

You might look toward tilson if you are looking to build a house. They built my parents house and did a great job overall. However, we were there every step of the way riding their *** and making them fix screw ups as they were made. Being in the a/c business with my grandpa for quite some time we did the air conditioning ourselves which gave us the luxury of being around a bunch during the construction process. We paid for a few of the upgrades that counted paint carpet roof a.c of course and ten years later the house is still doing quite well. We repainted the outside and upgraded the counter tops since then. The slab work and framing were first rate. They did one hell of a good job and used #1 lumber which we paid extra for.