ideas for a new job

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2008 | 03:13 PM
Destroyer of Exotics

Default ideas for a new job

well il be graduating from high school here in a few days. And i wondering if yall can throw me some ideas for a new job. i currently work for walgreens its a cool job i suppose but the hours sucks. the hours i work are all over the place. sometimes morning sometimes night and always on fridays which blows.

Any ideas on where i could work and make descent pay? Im only 17 right now but will be turning 18 on june 25th.

no fast food places please
Old 05-27-2008 | 03:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

http://www.marines.mil/Pages/Default.aspx

www.goarmy.com

www.usaf.com

just to name a few
Old 05-27-2008 | 03:19 PM
Destroyer of Exotics

Originally Posted by AGRV8D
thanks but id like to stay local. i have thought about the armed forces but doesnt really seem like the thing for me.

keep em coming
Old 05-27-2008 | 03:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

why not just go to San Jac or HCC and get an assc in like process tech or I&E tech or something..... You are 18, are you graduating?
Old 05-27-2008 | 03:25 PM
Destroyer of Exotics

Originally Posted by AGRV8D
why not just go to San Jac or HCC and get an assc in like process tech or I&E tech or something..... You are 18, are you graduating?
i have some credits already since i took dual credits classes this year. i am going to continue with hcc to complete my basics then tranfer to uhd

im 17 right now and i am graduating at the 31st of this month.

so il graduate 17 but be 18 in less then a month
Old 05-27-2008 | 03:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thats cool man.... Income is income.... Walgreens is excellent if you are in school, or you could always wait tables/bar back and get experience in tending bar while in school
Old 05-27-2008 | 03:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast
20 Year Member

anything you have till you graduate college is probably going to have **** hours. Walgreens doesn't sound that bad, I worked at Best Buy for two years and that job sucked. Also worked for a Garden Center, hard work but was out side all the time and also worked in the parts warehouse at Bill Heard for awhile.
Old 05-27-2008 | 04:16 PM
TECH Resident

go sale cars. only @ toyota/honda/high end luxuary dealership.
Old 05-27-2008 | 04:56 PM
Destroyer of Exotics

Originally Posted by white man
anything you have till you graduate college is probably going to have **** hours. Walgreens doesn't sound that bad, I worked at Best Buy for two years and that job sucked. Also worked for a Garden Center, hard work but was out side all the time and also worked in the parts warehouse at Bill Heard for awhile.
Walgreens is an easy job and the pay is ok the hours just suck haha
Old 05-27-2008 | 05:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast
20 Year Member

Originally Posted by 1sickz28
Walgreens is an easy job and the pay is ok the hours just suck haha
my best buy hours blew, I worked in the Media dept. (Music, movies, games software), some times 6AM-2:30 then I'd get 2:30-10:30 or some other wack time till 10:30. Garden Center wasn't to bad, rarely worked past 8pm. Bill Heard hours rocked, 8-5 Mon-Fri. Only **** deal was I could have made money working on the weekends.

Best summer job was after I graduated from High School, my wild life teacher rented out cattle for a small movie and they needed extras and stand-in's. Hours sucked, pay was awesome plus i got to meet Kate Capshaw, her niece nothing big but she was drunk and fell out of a pick up, Ashley Jude, Paul Rudd and Vince Vaughn and the guy who was the interpreter In Saving Private Ryan. Had some friends that got in on it also so it was pretty cool.
Old 05-28-2008 | 02:08 PM
TECH Regular

just get any old menial job and sell drugs on the side. bam, 2 incomes. jk of course
Old 05-28-2008 | 02:22 PM
Banned

wait tables, good money, meet cool people, mad ***** son
Old 05-28-2008 | 02:54 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by DeerHunter_Z28
wait tables, good money, meet cool people, mad ***** son
Wait until you turn 18 to apply for a position waiting tables. In TX you cannot serve alcohol if <18 years old.

But a month from now, it's definitely good pay if you work hard at a decent place. And it is definitely conducive to scheduling around continuing your education. However, the hours still suck.
Old 05-28-2008 | 03:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I have a friend that waited tables at Cheddars. Now he is a bartender and makes damn good money for being 20, and never having gone to college. The only thing that sucks about that is the hours are crappy, and if you want to make good money you have to work on Friday, and Saturday nights.

What I did, and I highly recommend to any one who is going to be a senior next year, is joined the Co op program. I went to school for half a day and then went to work, and got credit for it. I ended up getting hooked up with a job at NASA, and still work here 3 years later. The pay is decent, and you dont have to work crazy hours or anything. Having a set schedule makes college a lot easier.
Old 05-28-2008 | 03:04 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Shake
Wait until you turn 18 to apply for a position waiting tables. In TX you cannot serve alcohol if <18 years old.

But a month from now, it's definitely good pay if you work hard at a decent place. And it is definitely conducive to scheduling around continuing your education. However, the hours still suck.
Yea, I meant to say wait till your bday. You can still apply now though, you will have to train for a week anyway, just stretch that out to a couple weeks. Have someone run your drinks till you turn 18
Old 05-28-2008 | 03:17 PM
Staging Lane

i would say a call center they pay really good and you can work all the hours you want just depends if you can take the bs from people.
Old 05-28-2008 | 03:49 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Juicy J
I have a friend that waited tables at Cheddars. Now he is a bartender and makes damn good money for being 20, and never having gone to college. The only thing that sucks about that is the hours are crappy, and if you want to make good money you have to work on Friday, and Saturday nights.
The hours for bar tending are crappy, but you always get to go home with the waitresses afterwards... LOL
so there are some good benefits to it.
Old 05-28-2008 | 04:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by TX_SS
go sale cars. only @ toyota/honda/high end luxuary dealership.
Good freakin luck. No way any high-end dealership is gonna hire a just-outta-high-school-student...
Old 05-28-2008 | 04:19 PM
Launching!

Honestly, I got a pretty easy security guard job for a while during college. It ws an unarmed position so it was no big deal. No one ever came to the place I was at. If you can get a gig like that you can study all the time at work. The pay is decent and its not hard. Just show up.
Old 05-28-2008 | 05:22 PM
TECH Resident

Waiting tables can get u some good money. Me personally I didnt really like it. During a rush I'd be just about the only one on top of his **** and I was always the ONLY person stocking up during a rush. Lazy people like to ride off the hard workers in a resturaunt. I also hated tipping out the hostess that wouldnt bus a single table of mine on the entire shift (we didnt have busser, part of hosts job).

If I were you Id try Home Depot or HEB. They both pay really good and you already have retail experience, but the hours might suck just as bad. There is also room for pay raises, in a restaurant there arent unless you plan on becoming a manager full time.

I know work at The Salt Lick BBQ on the catering team. I love it so far, we get 9/hr + tips that are based on up to 10K bills. The hours are great as we usually do dinner parties and get there at 2:00 to set up and serve 5 hrs later. Also lots of downtime on the clock, usually at least 2 hrs of sitting around smoking cigs at a gig. If you could find something like this in H-Town Id highly recomend it.