Any good houston (katy) area exhaust shops?

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2008, 11:39 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any good houston (katy) area exhaust shops?

Hey guys,
Ive been asking around for some quotes on how much it would cost to rip out the stock catback from the y-pipe back and replace it with new piping and a bullet muffler. I the cheapest quote was $320 for the bullet+piping+install or If i brought the bullet myself, I would be charged $210 for the install+piping. I can get a bullet for $67 (magnaflow) so in all it would be $276 if I used my stock tips. Should I get new tips? If I kept the old ones, I would need 2 1/4'' piping after the split for the dual exhaust...?

Does anyone have a muffler shop they recomend for some better prices (in houston/katy area)? If not I guess I will pay the $276... Isnt too bad, but I might as well buy a LMII and weld it on myself.

Does anyone have a better idea? I really want to go with the bullet muffler setup though.

Thanks
Old 05-28-2008, 12:16 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

just put the bullet in the stock I pipe, order a flowmaster Y and have that put in after the muffler and use that to tie the existing exit pipes together. probably $120 in material and no more that $50 at the muffler shop.
Or are you talking about having the shop make you a custom Y pipe all the way back? If so $300ish is probably right.
Old 05-28-2008, 09:35 AM
TECH Veteran

Thats what I'm planning on. I'm going for an SLP LM1, but you can insert your bullet muffler of choice, dynomax bullets are like $30 bucks, get a magnaflow stamped y-pipe, 3"in/dual out. and tie in the exit pipes.

Go to Affordable Muffler and Brakes on Dairy Ashford off of I-10 (the Katy) and talk to Manuel. He does all my exhaust work, and if you bring in your own mufflers and components, and cash, he is VERY affordable, but does damn good work. I've never had to take a vehicle back to him for shotty work.
Old 05-28-2008, 11:22 AM
Teching In

What size of bullet/y-collector should I get? The guy at the shop told me that I would need a 2 1/4'' piping for the stock tips. What diameter y collector and bullet should I get if I were going to use the stock pipes?

Would using the stock pipes make it sound crummy??

Thanks
Old 05-28-2008, 11:28 AM
TECH Veteran

I'm not real sure what the stock diameter piping is on the F-bodies. I believe the factory tips are 2-1/4" inlets, which to me has always seems way too small.

Personally I am going to go 3" thru the I-pipe and SLP LM1, and then 3" inlet to duals (y-pipe), but I'm not planning on using the factory exit pipes or tips, just haven't decided how I'm going to run them out the back yet or with what tips. But I know Manuel does lots of F-bodies so he should be able to point you in the right direction and maybe even give some ideas.
Old 05-28-2008, 11:34 AM
TECH Fanatic

just buy a catback and save up for a headers and y pipe
Old 05-28-2008, 11:37 AM
Teching In

I was looking at getting the Texas Rumbler... but the cost to install would be like $100 which defeats the purpose of getting an inexpensive exhaust system. I was going to buy a lid, k&n air filter, and ported throttle body with the left over $$ ... Im bout to get a summer job since I'm only 17 but I still have money left from last summer. I just want to get a few mods on my stock car right now...

Also if I get ahold of a mig welder I will weld them on myself A buddy of mine says his dad has a lift and a mig welder I can use