Koni Shocks/Strano Springs Owners in Houston

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2008, 04:20 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Koni Shocks/Strano Springs Owners in Houston

I'm looking to get the Koni Shocks/Strano Springs package as my next mod. My main concern is clearance with my headers/Cats. Drive ways around here are a little steep. Just wondering if anyone that has this setup is having any issues?
Old 05-29-2008, 11:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I do, but I got SLP headers that I took off just a few days ago. They were pretty banged up before and now I lowered it, they took another beating. Still waiting for my ARH's to get here.
Old 05-30-2008, 06:58 AM
9 Second Club

no issues with mine on the turbo car.
Old 05-30-2008, 10:13 AM
TECH Fanatic

I have Strano springs, Koni shocks, and American racing long tubes with a catted y pipe.

I would say the ground clearance is good considering the set up but it is low. I think I have a 3" of ground clearance, maybe a little more. The lowest part if the driver side cat.

Last edited by JScamaro; 05-30-2008 at 11:22 AM.
Old 05-30-2008, 12:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Beats 2" from the header to ground. I will post pics later, its nasty.
Old 05-30-2008, 01:29 PM
Teching In

Bagg it up instead...lol,hmmm I wonder if anyone here has bags on there Fbod...

Any see that one episode of Muscle Car or SOme Car show on Spike TV, where they put baggs on an old school camaro, along with air shocks....I've allways wondered, how much it would cost in real life to get it done to my car...are baggs on Fbods too wetbaggish??? or has anyone done it to there's? Anyone know of ls1techers with baggs on there T/A's, Maros or Vette's?
Old 05-30-2008, 02:18 PM
Launching!

Thanks for the replys,So now I'm thinking on leaving the stock springs when I put on the Konis??
Old 05-30-2008, 02:21 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by redsox_ws6
Bagg it up instead...
The ride quality would be ****, I'm sure.
Old 05-30-2008, 02:42 PM
TECH Regular

Good thread, I've got the ARH LTs and cats and I'm about to put on the same suspsension setup. Anybody have pictures?
Old 05-30-2008, 02:48 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by kraemer94
Thanks for the replys,So now I'm thinking on leaving the stock springs when I put on the Konis??

I wouldn't do that, the stock springs don't have enough rate to compensate for the valving of the konis, from what I've read in the suspension and brakes section.
Old 05-30-2008, 03:25 PM
TECH Apprentice

I would go with the stiffer springs, you gave to remember even though you are lowering your car, you are also increasing your spring rate which reduces the chance of you bottoming out and scraping at speed. Just be careful with driveways, and know there will be some places you will have to take your gfs car/wifes car/whatever if you want to go there.

I have literally two inches from my header to the ground, and manage just find around Houston/ Pasadena / La Porte / College Station / Etc
Old 05-31-2008, 10:31 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TexZ
I wouldn't do that, the stock springs don't have enough rate to compensate for the valving of the konis, from what I've read in the suspension and brakes section.
Koni shocks will work just fine on stock springs.....it will actually have more shock travel on stockers than on lowering springs. as for the "valving", that's why they're adjustable.

and many people have done the heater hose/lower perch mod on the stock springs to lower it a little bit, without compromising much ground clearance, and have had good results.
Old 06-02-2008, 09:08 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 02Z28LS1
Koni shocks will work just fine on stock springs.....it will actually have more shock travel on stockers than on lowering springs. as for the "valving", that's why they're adjustable.

and many people have done the heater hose/lower perch mod on the stock springs to lower it a little bit, without compromising much ground clearance, and have had good results.

I know they're adjustable, but why would you spend $800+ and not take advantage of the konis potential; sure they can handle stock shocks, but you might as well just use another shock. Just my two cents, considering springs are only another $200-$300.
Old 06-02-2008, 06:02 PM
Launching!

all i know is eibach pro kit + spohn t/a with the crossbrace front mount = very bad things

it's bad......don't do that
Old 06-03-2008, 05:44 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I know they're adjustable, but why would you spend $800+ and not take advantage of the konis potential; sure they can handle stock shocks, but you might as well just use another shock. Just my two cents, considering springs are only another $200-$300.
lots of people don't lower their cars to "take advantage of the konis potential", and for lots of different reasons. such as:

shitty roads in the area
steep driveways
they're fine with the way the car looks
they don't want the increased firmness in ride (not to be confused with "harshness")
they don't want to spend money on PHR/LCA relocators
they mainly use the car for drag racing, but still want a good ride to/from the track

you just made it out to sound like the stock springs with koni's would absolutely handle like ****, which is not the case....the car will handle a hell of a lot better with koni/stock springs than it will on stock shocks. not everyone is looking to get the absolute maximum out of everything they do to their car, for whatever reason.

this statement is exactly backwards, which is why i took issue with it. the springs don't have to "have the rate to compensate for the valving" of any certain shock.....just exactly the opposite, in fact. the shocks have to have the valving to deal with the spring rate. and even if it were the way you stated it, just the fact that the koni's are adjustable proves that statement wrong anyway, because they could be adjusted appropriately.
Old 06-03-2008, 09:40 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 02Z28LS1
lots of people don't lower their cars to "take advantage of the konis potential", and for lots of different reasons. such as:

shitty roads in the area
steep driveways
they're fine with the way the car looks
they don't want the increased firmness in ride (not to be confused with "harshness")
they don't want to spend money on PHR/LCA relocators
they mainly use the car for drag racing, but still want a good ride to/from the track

you just made it out to sound like the stock springs with koni's would absolutely handle like ****, which is not the case....the car will handle a hell of a lot better with koni/stock springs than it will on stock shocks. not everyone is looking to get the absolute maximum out of everything they do to their car, for whatever reason.

this statement is exactly backwards, which is why i took issue with it. the springs don't have to "have the rate to compensate for the valving" of any certain shock.....just exactly the opposite, in fact. the shocks have to have the valving to deal with the spring rate. and even if it were the way you stated it, just the fact that the koni's are adjustable proves that statement wrong anyway, because they could be adjusted appropriately.

Holy ****, I gave the man my thoughts on his situation, chill out. My original post was just me giving MY advice. There's no reason to go balistic and hijack this guys thread.