Used School Buses?

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2008, 08:46 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Used School Buses?

Does anybody know the best way to get a cheap used school bus preferably 35-47 passenger, and an automatic transmission? I need something reliable for the most part, doesn't have to be too too nice. I have heard of some auctions but don't know where to get started, I'm going to the DPS on Monday to get the paperwork on my of carrying passengers 15 or more. What else should I know and what all is involved. I'm starting a new transport service around my campus to and from the bars.

thanks in advance
Old 06-07-2008, 10:52 PM
TECH Addict

bangbus!! anyways ive seen a few that have gone for around 8k$ if thats your price range. ide just buy a ford chevy ext van and use that. those 366 big blocks that power the buses arent as fuel freindly as a van!
Old 06-07-2008, 11:28 PM
TECH Addict

get a Sprinter, them things are
Old 06-07-2008, 11:42 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by ex-SS-ve
bangbus!! anyways ive seen a few that have gone for around 8k$ if thats your price range. ide just buy a ford chevy ext van and use that. those 366 big blocks that power the buses arent as fuel freindly as a van!
I agree! I think you and the people would be more satisfied with a van. Its easier to cool down on these hot days which is what people want, and in the winter it will have heat. Also them transport vans are COMFORTABLE!!! And like said above, the gas won't be as bad.
Old 06-08-2008, 12:06 AM
TECH Addict

Old 06-08-2008, 01:52 AM
TECH Fanatic

http://houston.craigslist.org/search...sk=max&addTwo=
Old 06-08-2008, 01:55 AM
Staging Lane

Theres a lot full of school buses for sale in the middle of nowhere between Baytown and Winnie on 1-10. Also one in the Channelview area off 1-10. Wish I could help with names and numbers. Maybe somebody will chime in?
Old 06-08-2008, 03:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ex-SS-ve
bangbus!!
LMFAO!!!
Old 06-08-2008, 07:14 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by svodave
Theres a lot full of school buses for sale in the middle of nowhere between Baytown and Winnie on 1-10. Also one in the Channelview area off 1-10. Wish I could help with names and numbers. Maybe somebody will chime in?
I pass by that lot nearly every day. Most of the buses are gone now... Only the junk ones are still there.
Old 06-08-2008, 08:18 AM
TECH Regular

There's a used school bus lot on Hwy. 290 at Huffmeister Rd., it's been in business as long as I can remember and they have a bunch. It's right in front of the Cypress-Fairbanks ISD bus barn. They sell to anyone, churches etc. This is on the NW edge of the Houston area going out towards Waller.

Vernon
Old 06-08-2008, 09:29 AM
Launching!

sweet thanks everyone lol.

It doesn't have to be a very comfortable bus for now its just to haul drunk people to and from the square here in san marcos. less than 10 miles round trip for a couple hours out of the weekend.

I'm not too too worried on gas considering I'll end up buying an older one, and its not that far, but it does have to be reliable
Old 06-08-2008, 09:33 AM
On The Tree

A bus might be your best decision...if someone throws up on your interior, you can take a waterhose to it and bam, like new. You can't do that in most cloth vans.
Old 06-08-2008, 09:51 AM
TECH Apprentice

Kepp checking your auctions out, I go to alot of Auctions and I've seen busses go from $200 that the guy drove home in up to 5k but get your cash together and check them out, these ones on craigslist are ones people have bought at auctions. But on a side note what your planning is actually a good idea, you could call your bus the "designated driver"
Old 06-08-2008, 10:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

drunk bus is a good idea, especially in a college town--good luck!

seems like a saw a cheap bus for sale right off the hardy toll road and greenspoint--might be worth a cruise to check it out
Old 06-08-2008, 10:47 AM
Launching!

They have a city bus for a the drunk bus at LSU. I believe it is sponsored by the school or a school organziation. It is a good thing to have though.
Old 06-08-2008, 11:53 AM
TECH Junkie

Justin....wtf? How much are you thinking your going to make off each person/per night etc?
Old 06-08-2008, 12:10 PM
TECH Regular

https://www.lemonsauctioneers.com/

They auction and sell used school buses and pretty much everything school related. Looks like right now though there arent that many in good condition that they are auctioning off. Cool website though.
Old 06-08-2008, 03:02 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Donohue96M6Z28
Justin....wtf? How much are you thinking your going to make off each person/per night etc?
haha I was sleeping one night and came up with this idea, I can barely charge people and still make a decent amount a night, and its between buying a school bus and starting this up and buying a motorcycle, but this mike make enough to get me that motorcycle too.

The only concerns I have right now are:
1)The school owns some of the Apt complexes so I cant call it the "Drunk Bus", and I have to make sure its ok with them before I use their bus stops

2) Insurance, I have to see how thats going to work, I may have to use wisely word everything

3) DPS office as far as open container on the buses for passengers, and if I am suppose to check if they are 21 or not

4) AND buying a bus w/gas that will be reliable, and If I can put couches in there instead of row seating (PA system, regular stereo system w/lots speakers, Tinting the bus windows, ect.)

Keep the ideas coming everything this is helping out alot, maybe LS1tech will sponsor me haha
Old 06-08-2008, 05:01 PM
TECH Junkie

Sounds like alot of work for an idea that IMO is iffy. I personally think the drive isnt bad from the square to pretty much anywhere in SM(I know you arent "supposed" to drive drunk etc., but the drives really arent bad, "but anything can happen"). And im pretty sure SM already has some kind of "drunk bus system" that is free and is provided by the school. But im not sure.
Old 06-08-2008, 05:12 PM
Launching!

yea its called S.W.A.T. (students with alternative transportation) but its only one van and barely ever goes out on weekends because they cant find people to drive, because its all community service. But thats ONE van that you MUST call, and wait 30 minutes on

I'm using a bus to go to every apt complex on a loop to the square, (pick up at apt complex, Drop off at square/Pick up at square drop off at apt complex) basically a party bus to and from the square because
1) gas is getting expensive
2) DWI's are even more expensive
3) People can drink more at the square and not have to worry about driving