Food review: Killen's Steakhouse

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2008, 08:32 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Food review: Killen's Steakhouse

So, for Father's Day, my wife's dad wanted to get together for dinner. My wife's sister and her husband suggested Killen's Steakhouse in Pearland (since we all live in the area).

http://www.killenssteakhouse.com/index.asp

My wife told me it was business casual. When we pulled up, I thought she was joking. It's near a few dive Mexican food places, an Autozone, and a bail bond place on 35 South, just passed 518. It looks very nondescript from the outside. We went inside and it's nice. Not the fanciest place I've ever been to, but it was clean. A bit on the small side, but that's not a problem.

We looked over the menu and the prices are definitely in line with a GOOD steakhouse. The service was excellent. Daniel, our waiter, was very knowledgeable and prompt. My wife ordered the wet-aged ribeye and I ordered the 10 oz. bacon-wrapped fillet with two jumbo shrimp. We both ordered salads (garden with ranch for her, Caesar for me), and a baked potato and asparagus for sides. Sides are served family style, which was really cool, because we all made a point to order something different, so we could try everything.

The food is nothing short of amazing. I'm a huge snob when it comes to good steaks, and this fillet was the best I've ever had. I ordered it medium rare and it came out perfect. The asparagus was firm, but not tough or fibrous. The potato was done well (kinda hard to screw up a baked potato), as were the potatoes au gratin and the macaroni and cheese. My wife's ribeye was ordered medium and was also done perfectly for the temperature. It was very tender and juicy, without a lot of seasoning to mask the flavor of the meat.

We split a slice of cheesecake for dessert, and it was a very generous portion. Not the usual sliver of cake you get at most places.

We will DEFINITELY be going back.

Cliff's notes: GO! Well worth it!

-Mike
Old 06-17-2008, 08:36 AM
TECH Junkie

What's wrong with those dive Mexican food places? They have good food!
Old 06-17-2008, 08:53 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Ben R

in fact, those are usually the BEST mexican food restaurants....
Old 06-17-2008, 08:55 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by chupr0kabra
So, for Father's Day, my wife's dad wanted to get together for dinner. My wife's sister and her husband suggested Killen's Steakhouse in Pearland (since we all live in the area).

http://www.killenssteakhouse.com/index.asp

My wife told me it was business casual. When we pulled up, I thought she was joking. It's near a few dive Mexican food places, an Autozone, and a bail bond place on 35 South, just passed 518. It looks very nondescript from the outside. We went inside and it's nice. Not the fanciest place I've ever been to, but it was clean. A bit on the small side, but that's not a problem.

We looked over the menu and the prices are definitely in line with a GOOD steakhouse. The service was excellent. Daniel, our waiter, was very knowledgeable and prompt. My wife ordered the wet-aged ribeye and I ordered the 10 oz. bacon-wrapped fillet with two jumbo shrimp. We both ordered salads (garden with ranch for her, Caesar for me), and a baked potato and asparagus for sides. Sides are served family style, which was really cool, because we all made a point to order something different, so we could try everything.

The food is nothing short of amazing. I'm a huge snob when it comes to good steaks, and this fillet was the best I've ever had. I ordered it medium rare and it came out perfect. The asparagus was firm, but not tough or fibrous. The potato was done well (kinda hard to screw up a baked potato), as were the potatoes au gratin and the macaroni and cheese. My wife's ribeye was ordered medium and was also done perfectly for the temperature. It was very tender and juicy, without a lot of seasoning to mask the flavor of the meat.

We split a slice of cheesecake for dessert, and it was a very generous portion. Not the usual sliver of cake you get at most places.

We will DEFINITELY be going back.

Cliff's notes: GO! Well worth it!

-Mike

Nice write up. I've never heard of the place, but will definitely have to give it a try.
Old 06-17-2008, 08:59 AM
TECH Apprentice

Sounds good. I may have to give it a whirl. Only problem is I get 50% off at Saltgrass and a couple other nice steakhouses lol.
Old 06-17-2008, 09:13 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

I've always heard that place is amazing. I need to try it out. I believe they are one of the only places in the Houston area who have Kobe beef on the menu.

A couple of interesting facts about the owner/executive chef:
"a once childhood dream of attending Le Cordon Bleu Culinary School in London, England became a reality in 1997.

This culinary school has trained such noted people as Julia Childs , Ming Tsai, and Martha Stewart. At the time of his enrollment, Ronnie was the only student in the school’s history to have perfect scores in all of his disciplines. He graduated from this world renowned culinary institute first in his class and with the Honor of Distinction.

In February of 2005 an opportunity of a lifetime surfaced, and he threw his hat in the ring for the position of Executive Chef at the White House in Washington, D.C. He wasn’t ultimately chosen, but he did make it to the final few and was asked by the new Executive chef to try out for the Assistant Executive Chef title. Chef Killen was honored and considers cooking at the White House for the Executive Staff to the President to be one of the most amazing things he’s done in his career."
Old 06-17-2008, 09:22 AM
TECH Regular

Damn I'm hungry now.....I'm going there tonight.

Great write up sir.

J.R.
Old 06-17-2008, 09:24 AM
Launching!

I know one of the bartenders there, and a few weeks ago we were out having some beers and came up talking about the steaks there. Pretty damn amazing is the process to which they raise and choose thier cuts of meat. He gave us the whole rundown of the Kobe cattle and how they are now raised in Texas as well. deffinatley gonna have to go check it out.
Old 06-17-2008, 09:27 AM
Staging Lane

My wife and I know the owner and have eaten there quite a few times .I am a huge steak lover and have and never had a better steak . The waitstaff have always been a class act the wine list they serve i exceptional , Very good atmosphere A++++++
By the way before the opening of the steak house he owned Killens country bar-bq on hwy 288..... My mother in law worked as a manager at this place for a good while....
Old 06-17-2008, 09:30 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Ben R
Nothing. It's just not where I'd expect to suddenly find an upscale steakhouse.

-Mike
Old 06-17-2008, 09:32 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by -Ross-
I've always heard that place is amazing. I need to try it out. I believe they are one of the only places in the Houston area who have Kobe beef on the menu.
Our waiter was telling us the Kobe beef they serve is the only one that Japan will allow to be imported as Kobe beef.

-Mike
Old 06-17-2008, 09:40 AM
TECH Junkie

Our waiter was telling us the Kobe beef they serve is the only one that Japan will allow to be imported as Kobe beef.

-Mike
I'd probably stick with the US beef. I don't think the Kobe would be worth the extra $ (not to me anyway).
Old 06-17-2008, 09:47 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have driven by that place a few times and thought that it would be a hole in the wall crappy little place to eat. It is good to hear that its not that. I will have to try it out. Thanks for the writeup.

Last edited by Cam72aro; 06-17-2008 at 09:57 AM.
Old 06-17-2008, 09:53 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by -Ross-
I'd probably stick with the US beef. I don't think the Kobe would be worth the extra $ (not to me anyway).
Actually, the cattle are raised in Texas. In this case, Kobe refers to their feeding and raising.

-Mike
Old 06-17-2008, 10:16 AM
TECH Junkie

Actually, the cattle are raised in Texas. In this case, Kobe refers to their feeding and raising.

-Mike
Ah, I see. Still probably not worth the extra $20.
Old 06-17-2008, 11:03 AM
9 Second Club NA

I pass it up everyday on the way home from work. I believe I've seen it mentioned here before when someone made a thread about steaks, which turned out to be a big thread (lots of replies). I'm going to have to try it out.
Old 06-17-2008, 11:17 AM
TECH Addict

Yeah, that's right down the street from my house. My Dad and I always wondered if it's any good. We'll have to check it out now.
Old 06-17-2008, 11:47 AM
10 Second Fun Car

I havent been there yet either but meaning to try. A few months ago they almost bought the Las Rosas on the other side of town to move to.