What's wrong with the car?

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2008, 11:08 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default What's wrong with the car?

Here lately, after I would go somewhere and then get back in the car, as soon as I would take off, while in the lower RPMs, the car would feel really weak then all of a sudden hit the RPMs hard and take off normally. Tonight on the way to class, it did the same thing but felt like it was going to die. Just before I got it, I pressed the accelerator down a little, but the RPMs weren't really doing anything. The car just felt like it lost power for a few seconds. So, I just let it do its thing for a few seconds; then after that the car would drive just fine.

What could be the problem? Clogged cats maybe? I hope so, because that will give me the perfect excuse to get some new Magnaflow high-flows finally. lol.
Old 06-23-2008, 11:58 PM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

dirty maf?
Old 06-24-2008, 12:31 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by chrysler kid
dirty maf?
Someone else suggested the oxygen sensors, but I'll check the MAF tomorrow.
Old 06-24-2008, 01:06 AM
TECH Addict

Bad tank of gas? I've heard of a similar thing happening in a friends GT.
Old 06-24-2008, 01:11 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Sarge_13
Hmm. I suppose that's another legitimate possibility. I usually go to the Buccee's around here since it's usually the cheapest.
Old 06-24-2008, 02:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

I think I know exactly what you talking about. It only does it when the cars been sitting for a good while like in the morning. If you crank the car up and and start to drive it for a few seconds right after you crank it up then stop at a stop sign or light then try to go normally in first gear the second the clutch is fully engaged the car falls on its face like its about to die and the throttle is totally non responsive. Your first reaction is to push the clutch and give it gas. As soon as the load is off the motor the gas goes back to normal and then you give it some gas to prevent it from dying, then you try to engage the clutch again and the same **** happens. Sound Familiar??? Jess's camaro does this **** almost every morning at the same damn stop sign if I dont let it idle for more than 30 seconds in the morning. (Sometimes Im in a MF'in hurry) Theres 3 ways around this ive figured out. When it starts throwin a fit floor it and it'll come out of it real quick then back out as soon as its done. Or when you get to that first stop sign or stop light just let it idle for a few seconds until it seems like it idles normal. Or just give it a **** load of gas and ride the clutch (like a newbie learning how to drive a stick).

If this sounds familiar I dont think anythings wrong, the 02's just need to warm up to work properly. The car doesnt have cats either. If not then i just typed a **** load of stuff......lol. If I helped, your welcome.
Old 06-24-2008, 10:26 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 306 That Could
I think I know exactly what you talking about. It only does it when the cars been sitting for a good while like in the morning. If you crank the car up and and start to drive it for a few seconds right after you crank it up then stop at a stop sign or light then try to go normally in first gear the second the clutch is fully engaged the car falls on its face like its about to die and the throttle is totally non responsive. Your first reaction is to push the clutch and give it gas. As soon as the load is off the motor the gas goes back to normal and then you give it some gas to prevent it from dying, then you try to engage the clutch again and the same **** happens. Sound Familiar??? Jess's camaro does this **** almost every morning at the same damn stop sign if I dont let it idle for more than 30 seconds in the morning. (Sometimes Im in a MF'in hurry) Theres 3 ways around this ive figured out. When it starts throwin a fit floor it and it'll come out of it real quick then back out as soon as its done. Or when you get to that first stop sign or stop light just let it idle for a few seconds until it seems like it idles normal. Or just give it a **** load of gas and ride the clutch (like a newbie learning how to drive a stick).

If this sounds familiar I dont think anythings wrong, the 02's just need to warm up to work properly. The car doesnt have cats either. If not then i just typed a **** load of stuff......lol. If I helped, your welcome.

Well, I have an automatic. lol. Last night, my car sat for over four hours for class. I then drove down the street about eight minutes to HEB. I was in there for 10 minutes or so, go back out, and the car does its thing. I usually just ease off the accelerator, but I wanted to see what it would do last night.
Old 06-24-2008, 10:35 AM
TECH Resident

I agree, maybe 87 or 89. Should run with 91 or high .Try exxon, chevron. I get alot of KR when i don't run those brands my car feels sluggish.
Old 06-24-2008, 10:56 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 5301113
I agree, maybe 87 or 89. Should run with 91 or high .Try exxon, chevron. I get alot of KR when i don't run those brands my car feels sluggish.
I always use the Texaco (Chevron gas) and have never had a problem with 93 in my cars.
Old 06-24-2008, 10:59 AM
TECH Addict

I only run 93.
Old 06-24-2008, 11:00 AM
TECH Resident

I always use the Texaco (Chevron gas) and have never had a problem with 93 in my cars.
Well we only have 91 HERE, nothing high

Originally Posted by Shackleford
I only run 93.

What brand do you use? Shell make crazy KR on my car
Old 06-24-2008, 11:07 AM
TECH Addict

Was it you thats down in the Valley or something?
Old 06-24-2008, 11:09 AM
Banned

Location: Putting my feet in your couch, cause thats how im living

Hey man,

I have 2 bad o2's and it stutters like its choking for gas. one side runs more rich than the other and the comp tries to compensate. If it feels like the car is stuttering and struggling to get gas then its your front 2 o2's.

Zach

Plus your SES light should be on and you can get those codes read at autozone
Old 06-24-2008, 11:20 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by What a Rush
Hey man,

I have 2 bad o2's and it stutters like its choking for gas. one side runs more rich than the other and the comp tries to compensate. If it feels like the car is stuttering and struggling to get gas then its your front 2 o2's.

Zach

Plus your SES light should be on and you can get those codes read at autozone
That's the thing. The SES didn't come on. I was waiting for it to, though.
Old 06-24-2008, 11:22 AM
TECH Enthusiast

mines doing the same, my cousin thinks it's the MAF. It's throwing a MAF code but not giving the full code for some wack reason.
Old 06-24-2008, 11:22 AM
TECH Addict

Buccee's. Sometimes Shell, Chevron, etc.
Old 06-24-2008, 12:40 PM
TECH Resident

Was it you thats down in the Valley or something?
Valley I'm not such where that is? But it wasn't me

Originally Posted by Shackleford
Buccee's. Sometimes Shell, Chevron, etc.
Stay away from shell for some reason shell causes KR. I know it's suppose to be a good gas brand but it cause issues.
Old 06-24-2008, 12:46 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Kinda sound like it is coolant temp sensor related, or like mentioned, car could still be in open loop before the o2's get warm. Trying logging it and looking at all the various functions to get an idea of what its doing.
Old 06-24-2008, 12:48 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Cam72aro
Kinda sound like it is coolant temp sensor related, or like mentioned, car could still be in open loop before the o2's get warm. Trying logging it and looking at all the various functions to get an idea of what its doing.
Logging it? Like with a computer/scanner?

I was thinking maybe it was taking a few seconds for the oxygen sensors to warm, because once I get rolling, the car drives fine.
Old 06-24-2008, 01:01 PM
10 Second Fun Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dump some injector cleaner in for the heck of it $5 or $10 bucks. Does sound like a tune/o2 problem though.