How much to have radar detector hardwired?

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2008, 11:16 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Dragaholic
Another reason why I pushed myself to learn and do things on my own is, when people ask hey man, nice car, who did the work? I did! A great feeling. I personally don't like saying, yeah I had so and so do it for me. Get what I'm saying?
but you still try and sell all your **** like you paid for labor and are trying to recoup some of that cost as well
Old 06-27-2008, 11:17 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mmiller
You don't have to have an open fuse slot. What you do is pull out a fuse to something that goes off when the key is turned off, like turn signals, windshield washer motor, radio, etc. Take the hot wire from the direct-wire radar detector wire and strip it (about 1/2") and push it into the metal contact where the fuse goes to get it started, and then push your fuse back in the slot. The wire will be making contact with the metal and the fuse will help hold it in place. Then, ground the other part of the radar detector wire somewhere. Run your wires along the a-pillar and near the headliner and you're good to go!
Did mine very similar.
took mine through the dash, and it comes up in the the middle vent in the dash... right above the radio, and AC vents..
did the same thing mmiller did.
Old 06-27-2008, 12:20 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by AGRV8D
but you still try and sell all your **** like you paid for labor and are trying to recoup some of that cost as well
Old 06-27-2008, 01:14 PM
TECH Senior Member

Here's mine hardwired:

http://ledvault.armorysound.com/Bria...ches%20015.mpg
Old 06-27-2008, 08:57 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by mmiller
You don't have to have an open fuse slot. What you do is pull out a fuse to something that goes off when the key is turned off, like turn signals, windshield washer motor, radio, etc. Take the hot wire from the direct-wire radar detector wire and strip it (about 1/2") and push it into the metal contact where the fuse goes to get it started, and then push your fuse back in the slot. The wire will be making contact with the metal and the fuse will help hold it in place. Then, ground the other part of the radar detector wire somewhere. Run your wires along the a-pillar and near the headliner and you're good to go!
Crap. I did it, but the detector didn't turn on. I plugged it into the steering wheel control fuse. I tied the ground/negative into a screw where my aftermarket anti-theft unit is also. Dude, if you're free tomorrow, I'll pay/buy you lunch or something. That goes for anyone. lol.
Old 06-27-2008, 10:51 PM
Texas Director

Shaq, sent you a PM.
Old 06-27-2008, 11:32 PM
12 Second Club

I am at work, if you wont you can bring it by there..
or what ever you want.. just sounds like you didnt get it into a 12v source...
I am here from now untill Sunday...

Daniel
Port of Houston Authority
Bay Port Facilities
12619 Port Road
Seabrook, Texas 77586