Talk about low balled

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2008 | 11:00 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Doomsday
Hate to say it, but that is all domestic cars. Other than Vettes and other muscle cars, I dont think I will ever buy an American car. Just a pile of ****, leave it to the Japanese and Europeans to build cars.
The new CTS is a POS? The new Malibu LTZ? America does have some good cars out there. Just not so much the econo-cars.
Old 06-27-2008 | 11:04 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by slohemi
No the only reason he could come up with was that it is a 2004 year model. I expected him to bring up the gas price issue but he never did. Honestly i would have settled for around $9000 trade in but 5000 bucks in a ******* joke.

What engine does it have? Used truck prices are falling and falling hard thanks to gas prices.
Old 06-27-2008 | 11:05 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Doomsday
Hate to say it, but that is all domestic cars. Other than Vettes and other muscle cars, I dont think I will ever buy an American car. Just a pile of ****, leave it to the Japanese and Europeans to build cars.
Yeah, all American cars are ****. That's a retarded *** statement if I've ever heard one.
Old 06-27-2008 | 11:06 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Sarge_13
The new CTS is a POS? The new Malibu LTZ? America does have some good cars out there. Just not so much the econo-cars.
The Malibu has the highest quality in the JD Power initial quality study in the mid size class. Yes it beats Toyota, Honda, Nissan, Ford, Dodge, Chrysler, Kia....name it.

Also: http://www.thestar.com/Business/article/437269

"Chevrolet Silverado has fewest defects of any full-size pickup truck"
Old 06-27-2008 | 11:07 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by mycamaroSS
they steal your money inorder to make profit...sell it on autotrader

lol. Well car dealerships are in business to make money, just like every other ******* business on the face of the planet. I know everyone likes to think that car dealerships are non profit organizations, but that's not the case. When I was in sales, the customers that did the least amount of bitching were actual business owners because they know that we were there to make money just like they were in their business.
Old 06-27-2008 | 11:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Morpheus
Yeah, all American cars are ****. That's a retarded *** statement if I've ever heard one.
Build quality, materials, etc, but its your money spend it where you want.

SLOHEMI sorry for the

GL with the TBSS.
Old 06-27-2008 | 11:17 PM
TECH Resident

You're right. I choose to spend mine on US based companies that help keep our economy alive.
Old 06-27-2008 | 11:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by SJRTX
You're right. I choose to spend mine on US based companies that help keep our economy alive.
I agree, but so much things are not made in the USA anymore. Some how you will spend your money on imported goods, whether or not by choice.

With cars, I just dont see why USA cant do better. I work with Europeans everyday at my job. They are picky and question every detail.
Old 06-28-2008 | 01:30 PM
Teching In

I agree that dodge trucks arent of the highest quality but then again i dont think fords are either. I understand that dodge trucks dont have great resale value but 5 grand is a joke. I will probably try carmax this week and see what they offer me. If that doesnt pan out ill just park it with a for sale sign on it. I love my truck but after putting it back to stock the feeling isnt there anymore and im ready to move on.
On a side note i was at the dodge dealership today and was talking to some guy with an 04 quad cab 4.7L with 110,000 miles and he was offered 9,500 for trade in up in huntsville. I also looked at a cherokee srt8 and i have to say i like the TBSS more.
Old 06-28-2008 | 01:45 PM
TECH Addict

I agree that dodge trucks arent of the highest quality but then again i dont think fords are either. I understand that dodge trucks dont have great resale value but 5 grand is a joke. I will probably try carmax this week and see what they offer me. If that doesnt pan out ill just park it with a for sale sign on it. I love my truck but after putting it back to stock the feeling isnt there anymore and im ready to move on.
On a side note i was at the dodge dealership today and was talking to some guy with an 04 quad cab 4.7L with 110,000 miles and he was offered 9,500 for trade in up in huntsville. I also looked at a cherokee srt8 and i have to say i like the TBSS more.
While I agree that some of Ford's truck interiors aren't that nice, the Lariat and King Ranch versions are very nice inside.
Old 06-28-2008 | 03:54 PM
TECH Veteran
20 Year Member

That does suck. The best way I have done it is hardball them on the vehicle they have until it is at a price you want. Dont mention anything about trade in and tell them not interested in financing all you are interested in is what kind of deal they can do. I always right down a number on a sheet of paper and tell them unless they can meet it no deal. A fair number though and as they bring back offers send them walking again back to their sales manager. Then at that point hardball them on your trade in. If they start dicking with numbers tell them nope and walk out they will usually change their mind. Then after they make all of that line up talk financing. I usually have always spent seven to eight hours buying something but I have always got it at or near what I was willing to pay.
Old 06-28-2008 | 04:24 PM
KBG
Launching!

What should the dealer give him for it? Private party value?

Heres a clue- when a dealer buys your car, they take on some risk, risk that there may be an expensive mechanical problem, there may have been some well hidden crash damage that was never reported to carfax etc.

The dealer takes in your car hoping they can sell it on their lot. The car has to be retail priced according to market values, and they still have to have negotiation room for the person that comes along wanting to buy it, and still be able to make a profit (this isnt a charity).

And finally, these cars arent paid for by cash. Each day they sit on the lot it costs them money in interest. If they dont sell on the lot they have to go to auction. What kind of cash do you think it'll bring at auction? Auction values are a huge factor in determining a trade value. Because at the end of the day, the dealership doesnt stay in business by losing its *** on a trade when it has to go to auction.

No one steals anything, no one puts a gun to your head and makes you take their offer.

BTW- Slohemi- what is the KBB trade value in "good" condition on your truck?

very well put

I work at a dealership as well and I can tell you that we have lost THOUSANDS of dollars this month alone at the auction on domestic trucks/suvs and it only continues to get worse

I'd say you were lucky they even offered to trade you out of it......I know many local dealers around here that have stopped taking full-size trucks/suvs on trade
Old 06-28-2008 | 04:26 PM
KBG
Launching!

a regular cab short box truck holds it's value about as well as a KIA BTW
Old 06-28-2008 | 07:02 PM
Teching In

KBB trade in on my truck in "good" condition is $9180. I've lowered my expectations on trade in but i still wont do it for 5 grand. Im currently trying to work out a deal on a TBSS 3SS from another dealer. They called me back and told me $31,000 OTD but said they could probably go lower than that. I called back to make sure it was a 3SS and all of the sudden the guy wasnt sure if it was a 1SS or a 3SS. They didnt have any on the lot but the guy called me back and said he found me one...i guess ill have to wait and see what happens.
Old 06-28-2008 | 09:41 PM
TECH Resident

KBB trade in on my truck in "good" condition is $9180. I've lowered my expectations on trade in but i still wont do it for 5 grand. Im currently trying to work out a deal on a TBSS 3SS from another dealer. They called me back and told me $31,000 OTD but said they could probably go lower than that. I called back to make sure it was a 3SS and all of the sudden the guy wasnt sure if it was a 1SS or a 3SS. They didnt have any on the lot but the guy called me back and said he found me one...i guess ill have to wait and see what happens.
what are the specs on your truck? because i was seeing a lot less than that.
Old 06-29-2008 | 07:02 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 01WS6/tamu
That does suck. The best way I have done it is hardball them on the vehicle they have until it is at a price you want. Dont mention anything about trade in and tell them not interested in financing all you are interested in is what kind of deal they can do. I always right down a number on a sheet of paper and tell them unless they can meet it no deal. A fair number though and as they bring back offers send them walking again back to their sales manager. Then at that point hardball them on your trade in. If they start dicking with numbers tell them nope and walk out they will usually change their mind. Then after they make all of that line up talk financing. I usually have always spent seven to eight hours buying something but I have always got it at or near what I was willing to pay.
yea they tell you one thing but then they start playing games with interest rates that way they get back that lost money. normal buy in can be anywheres from 2%-5% apr but anything after that is set at their discretion and most of the time when they say that 8% is the best they can get you at. its not necessarily 100% true. best way to really upset them is to have your own financing set and secured that way you truly get the best deal.
Old 06-29-2008 | 07:02 PM
On The Tree

Home > Used Cars > Pickups > Dodge > 1500 Pickup > 2004 > Short Bed
2004 Dodge 1500 Pickup Short Bed Print Email

Trade-In Value

Excellent
$7,700

Good
$7,160

Fair
$6,255

This is KBB page, don't know your specs, but this is inputed with the hemi. They are off by around 2k, but the dealer knows they will not be able to sell it for more than 7k these days
Old 06-29-2008 | 08:23 PM
LS7 Member

Go dive or ride in a SRT8 Jeep. You won't think twice about the tbss...
Old 06-29-2008 | 11:27 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by UTEvo8
Go dive or ride in a SRT8 Jeep. You won't think twice about the tbss...
Exactly! After test driving both, you couldnt give me a TBSS! I love my jeep!!
Matt
Old 06-30-2008 | 01:16 AM
Teching In

The Malibu has the highest quality in the JD Power initial quality study in the mid size class. Yes it beats Toyota, Honda, Nissan, Ford, Dodge, Chrysler, Kia....name it.

Also: http://www.thestar.com/Business/article/437269

"Chevrolet Silverado has fewest defects of any full-size pickup truck"
Thats initial quality....i agree the CTS is nice, because it has proven itself already, and im sure they will not let the quality go down...the malibu, i will have to wait and see how it holds in the long run....most new cars drive/look/feel good in the beginning (im not talking about a $9k kia now).