Talk about low balled

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2008, 08:08 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Talk about low balled

Went to look at trailblazer SS's tonite after work. I drove an imperial blue mettalic one and fell in love. I decided to trade in my truck and take the plunge into buying my first new vehicle. My truck is a 2004 ram 1500 RCSB with the sport package and a decent amount of options. Anyways it has 40746 miles on it...not to bad right? I figured i could get close to $10,000 for trade in but boy was i wrong. I was offered $5000 dollars...then they came back with $5500. WTF...his reasoning was b/c my truck is a 2004 year model. That was the only reason he could give me. Needless to say i asked for my keys back and rolled out kinda pissed off. Oh well the search continues for a TBSS.
Old 06-27-2008, 08:12 PM
TECH Regular

You will not get a good trade in value for your truck. No dealership wants trucks or SUV's right now.
Old 06-27-2008, 08:13 PM
11 Second Club

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

well i dont think thats the only reason. iv noticed lately used truck prices are going down very fast. probably because of gas prices
Old 06-27-2008, 08:16 PM
Teching In

No the only reason he could come up with was that it is a 2004 year model. I expected him to bring up the gas price issue but he never did. Honestly i would have settled for around $9000 trade in but 5000 bucks in a ******* joke.
Old 06-27-2008, 08:27 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

lol you went to the dealership to trade your car in lol what did you think was going to happen!! sell it outside and go in with your 9g's you would settle for.
Old 06-27-2008, 08:39 PM
Teching In

I didnt really go there with the intent to buy a TBSS or trade in my truck...It kinda just happened. I know stealerships like to low ball on trade ins but come on....5g's get real. I will try to sell it locally. I'll have me a TBSS damnit.
Old 06-27-2008, 08:40 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by reject
lol you went to the dealership to trade your car in lol what did you think was going to happen!! sell it outside and go in with your 9g's you would settle for.
they steal your money inorder to make profit...sell it on autotrader
Old 06-27-2008, 08:41 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

lol i work at a dealership and know i wouldnt get **** if i traded my car in.....
Old 06-27-2008, 09:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My buddys mom has a newer dakota like 06 with around 25-30K on it with the R/T package, extremely well kept truck (I would know I do the detailing) and they offered her 7.
Old 06-27-2008, 09:33 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by mycamaroSS
they steal your money inorder to make profit...sell it on autotrader
What should the dealer give him for it? Private party value?

Heres a clue- when a dealer buys your car, they take on some risk, risk that there may be an expensive mechanical problem, there may have been some well hidden crash damage that was never reported to carfax etc.

The dealer takes in your car hoping they can sell it on their lot. The car has to be retail priced according to market values, and they still have to have negotiation room for the person that comes along wanting to buy it, and still be able to make a profit (this isnt a charity).

And finally, these cars arent paid for by cash. Each day they sit on the lot it costs them money in interest. If they dont sell on the lot they have to go to auction. What kind of cash do you think it'll bring at auction? Auction values are a huge factor in determining a trade value. Because at the end of the day, the dealership doesnt stay in business by losing its *** on a trade when it has to go to auction.

No one steals anything, no one puts a gun to your head and makes you take their offer.

BTW- Slohemi- what is the KBB trade value in "good" condition on your truck?
Old 06-27-2008, 10:28 PM
12 Second Club

When I talked to a buddy of mine that in the car business, he said that the Dodge Trucks don't have as high a resale value as most others..
especially now with everyone wanting gas friendly vehicles
But...
If you think it is worth more..
I just let go of a 99 Yukon with 140,000+ miles on it, at Carmax back in January.
They gave me 4,000 for it..
you might try them..
you can either except their offer and use that towards a down payment, or deny it..
Old 06-27-2008, 10:31 PM
Staging Lane

I will give you 6k for it
Old 06-27-2008, 10:31 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by ThunderZ28
When I talked to a buddy of mine that in the car business, he said that the Dodge Trucks don't have as high a resale value as most others..
especially now with everyone wanting gas friendly vehicles
Dodges are cheaper than the other brands, and Dodge typically has enormous rebates compared to the other brands. They dont have some secret to making cheap high quality trucks that Ford and Chevy havent figured out. When you buy a cheap truck, you get a cheap truck. They are the lowest on the list of quality, period. AND they have the worse gas mileage of all three.
Old 06-27-2008, 10:36 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by SJRTX
Dodges are cheaper than the other brands, and Dodge typically has enormous rebates compared to the other brands. They dont have some secret to making cheap high quality trucks that Ford and Chevy havent figured out. When you buy a cheap truck, you get a cheap truck. They are the lowest on the list of quality, period. AND they have the worse gas mileage of all three.
thats what I figured, but I didnt want to sound rude..
some people take comments the wrong way...
I know they did on other boards,if you mentioned that the dodge trucks where cheaply made..
Old 06-27-2008, 10:36 PM
TECH Addict

Wait, are you saying that Dodge is a cheap, low quality truck? Just a little confused by the wording of your post.
Old 06-27-2008, 10:39 PM
TECH Senior Member

I went to trade in my truck back in Jan. and they offered me $3000. I have an 01 Ram Blue book was $7k and all I wanted was 5k but would have settled for $4,500. I was willing to deal but they wanted me to pay sticker for the car I was looking at. I walked out after that.
Old 06-27-2008, 10:49 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Sarge_13
Wait, are you saying that Dodge is a cheap, low quality truck? Just a little confused by the wording of your post.
Dodge has the cheapest truck of everyone, and they usually have huge incentives compared to the rest. And it aint witchcraft. Its because Dodge makes piles of ****.
Old 06-27-2008, 10:50 PM
TECH Addict

Dodge has the cheapest truck of everyone, and they usually have huge incentives compared to the rest. And it aint witchcraft. Its because Dodge makes piles of ****.
Thats what I was thinking you said, just wanted to make sure.
Old 06-27-2008, 10:55 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 01 Red WS6
I went to trade in my truck back in Jan. and they offered me $3000. I have an 01 Ram Blue book was $7k and all I wanted was 5k but would have settled for $4,500. I was willing to deal but they wanted me to pay sticker for the car I was looking at. I walked out after that.
I dont know the specifics here, but its common that we over-allow on a trade, and show more on the trade, but dont have any room to work on the car you purchase. In cases like that, its because they are moving all the profit from the new car to your trade so you feel better about it.

If one dealer lets you walk on those numbers, it MIGHT be because they are trying to high gross you. If a few dealers let you walk on the same numbers, its probably because you are being unreasonable and its because theyd lose money/make no money/ make very little money on a high demand item. If it were a good deal for both sides, do you think theyd let you walk?
Old 06-27-2008, 10:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Hate to say it, but that is all domestic cars. Other than Vettes and other muscle cars, I dont think I will ever buy an American car. Just a pile of ****, leave it to the Japanese and Europeans to build cars.