Maybe I missed the memo.....but MTI is no longer a speed shop?

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2008 | 09:10 AM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Some of you guys live in fantasy land. A business isn't expected to divulge any of their business decisions to you, not unless you own stock in their company. Quit boo-hoo'ing and take a step back into reality. This is no different than any other company closing their doors or going out or business. Only this time, they simply decided to change formats and pursue a different direction.

Think about it, if GM were to go out of business tomorrow, you'd be **** out of luck on your warranty too. What good is it to sit around and boo-hoo about it? Will the situation magically change? Is this different from the norm? Nope.
Old 07-23-2008 | 09:29 AM
On The Tree

^^It may not be can you make more money selling cars then doing performance, maybe it's I made enough money doing performace to kick back and sell cars.

John
Old 07-23-2008 | 09:40 AM
Badass pool player

Originally Posted by setxws6
It takes a lot to own a successful business. But, as far a your customers coming back or getting the word out how great that buisness is....it all has to do with customer support! Making sure the customer feels comfortable with handing over money for a service or product. I know, that if 2-3 months ago when I wanted my car tuned, if I knew about this **** I certainly wouldn't have gone to MTI. I simply wouldn't have felt comfortable spending 500 bucks and not knowing if I would be able to go back for a retune for the much cheaper rate like most all shops do. I'm now figuring, I might have to fork over another 500 to another shop with no help from MTI. Who knows?.......
The shop that we're entering into the alliance with is going to honor MTI's rate for retunes - so you won't be out any money and will be able to get your car retuned with no problems at all.

Thanks for your observations in the post above though - don't you think that if I was legally able to tell people what our plans were moving forward that I would have? Right now, it's in the attorney's hands - as soon as they sign off on everything, then I'll ask Tony to make a sticky at the top of the Texas section.

Thank you.
Old 07-23-2008 | 10:02 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by poolfanatic
The shop that we're entering into the alliance with is going to honor MTI's rate for retunes - so you won't be out any money and will be able to get your car retuned with no problems at all.

Thanks for your observations in the post above though - don't you think that if I was legally able to tell people what our plans were moving forward that I would have? Right now, it's in the attorney's hands - as soon as they sign off on everything, then I'll ask Tony to make a sticky at the top of the Texas section.

Thank you.

Okay then, just a couple little questions (since ls1tech is the only way to communicate with MTI).

What would the time frame be for MTI transfering everything to this other shop? And, is the other shop ready to dyno tune, ie: do they have a dyno and experianced people that know what they're doing?
Old 07-23-2008 | 10:24 AM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

How about you just wait for them to make a formal announcement? Then we can capture all the pertinent questions in one thread.
Old 07-23-2008 | 10:44 AM
TECH Enthusiast

This isn't all bad news. Maybe there'll be a blow-out sale...?
Old 07-23-2008 | 11:36 AM
TECH Fanatic

Pool fanatic already sold a bunch of parts on here first come basis a couple weeks ago.... Bunch of sniveling babies in this thread....

And to the question about the abilities of the new shop: i will venture a COMMON SENSE guess on this one... With the VOLUME of business MTI has done in the past, i would have to say whoever enters into business with them will have more than the capacity,facilities and knowledge to do the retunes.....

Old 07-23-2008 | 02:17 PM
Teching In

Okay then, just a couple little questions (since ls1tech is the only way to communicate with MTI).

What would the time frame be for MTI transfering everything to this other shop? And, is the other shop ready to dyno tune, ie: do they have a dyno and experianced people that know what they're doing?
Dude, what part of.......

don't you think that if I was legally able to tell people what our plans were moving forward that I would have? Right now, it's in the attorney's hands

Do you not understand?
Old 07-23-2008 | 04:51 PM
TECH Apprentice

Okay guys I'll tell you what I DO understand, I understand that I went to MTI only 2 months ago and recieved a tune, thinking, that "okay, MTI has been around tuning cars for 14 years and are established and aren't going anywhere and know what they're doing". I hadn't seen anything ONLY two months ago about this buisness venture nor was I told anything about it when I went to the shop ONLY two months ago.

I have plenty of money to go somewhere else right now and get it tuned at another shop if I so chose. By GOD I feel I have every right to get pissed if I want to as a customer. I didn't get my car tune 6 months or a year ago. But 2 months ago. Surely MTI knew something at this time, and could have told me "well we're going through some business changes now. We'll be selling cars and getting out of the car modding/tuning buisness".

Where I get more pissed is that I will need tuning here very shortly within the next month, and now who knows how long this new shop will have to set everything up! The new shop may be the one buying there dyno, and if that were true, it could be a number of months before they would be ready to take previous customers.

WS 666 and Nine Ball, don't tell me to just wait on MTI, or what part don't you understand! I understand that as a customer of theirs only 2 months ago, they now won't answer a phone call nor return one. That upsets me. And the fact that this forum is the only medium to get any vage answers from them upsets me too. But hey! That's all I have right now. So all I wanted was a question answered. It's my money, my time, my life, and just because their new businsess venture doesn't affect you, doesn't mean you need to come into this thread pushing me around!

Old 07-23-2008 | 05:08 PM
On The Tree

I am sure that a pre-established, reputable shop, will be taking over their business. They are not going to just chew and screw, I would imagine that they are going to take care of their existing customers...because I would guess that a customer list was part of the selling point as well.
Old 07-23-2008 | 05:53 PM
TECH Regular

subscribed
Old 07-23-2008 | 06:26 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Okay guys I'll tell you what I DO understand, I understand that I went to MTI only 2 months ago and recieved a tune, thinking, that "okay, MTI has been around tuning cars for 14 years and are established and aren't going anywhere and know what they're doing". I hadn't seen anything ONLY two months ago about this buisness venture nor was I told anything about it when I went to the shop ONLY two months ago.

I have plenty of money to go somewhere else right now and get it tuned at another shop if I so chose. By GOD I feel I have every right to get pissed if I want to as a customer. I didn't get my car tune 6 months or a year ago. But 2 months ago. Surely MTI knew something at this time, and could have told me "well we're going through some business changes now. We'll be selling cars and getting out of the car modding/tuning buisness".

Where I get more pissed is that I will need tuning here very shortly within the next month, and now who knows how long this new shop will have to set everything up! The new shop may be the one buying there dyno, and if that were true, it could be a number of months before they would be ready to take previous customers.

WS 666 and Nine Ball, don't tell me to just wait on MTI, or what part don't you understand! I understand that as a customer of theirs only 2 months ago, they now won't answer a phone call nor return one. That upsets me. And the fact that this forum is the only medium to get any vage answers from them upsets me too. But hey! That's all I have right now. So all I wanted was a question answered. It's my money, my time, my life, and just because their new businsess venture doesn't affect you, doesn't mean you need to come into this thread pushing me around!
Translation: BOO HOO.

Suggestion: Learn to work on cars and tune them yourself, then you will never have to worry about a shop going out of business ever again.
Old 07-23-2008 | 06:40 PM
Teching In

setxws6 what industry do you work in that you are so absolutely clueless about simple business practices?

I am not purposely trying to be an ***..... right now at least. But seriously, I am just curious though.
Old 07-23-2008 | 06:44 PM
Badass pool player

This decision was made approx. 45 days ago - since that time we've turned away almost all new project work and tunes to focus on finalizing the projects that we've had here.

setxws6 - if you want to talk about your specific situation and vehicle - just PM me and I'll talk directly with you. I'll give you what information and recommendations I can at this time - fair enough?
Old 07-23-2008 | 06:47 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Nine Ball

Suggestion: Learn to work on cars and tune them yourself, then you will never have to worry about a shop going out of business ever again.
Old 07-23-2008 | 06:55 PM
Teching In

Do you mind me asking what changes you are going to make to the car that you are not sure if the other shop will be capable of making the adjustments to your PCM?
Old 07-23-2008 | 08:21 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Nine Ball

Hey, my money, my time, my car, my LIFE. I know it doesn't mean a damn thing to you, but does to me...and if I want to cry about I will!

I work on my own car, yes. Tune them myself (to the cars potential)??? Easier said than done...

Originally Posted by WS 666
setxws6 what industry do you work in that you are so absolutely clueless about simple business practices?

I am not purposely trying to be an ***..... right now at least. But seriously, I am just curious though.
I don't own my own business, nor am I a suit and tie buisness man or big time sale person. I'm a process operator for SHELL oil company. And I would be willing to bet that if tomorrow SHELL oil closed up shop and shut down all their units and refinaries and gas prices when to $10 bucks a gallon, I bet you'd probably want some answers huh.....???

Bottom line is my main frustration was the lack of communication on MTI's part. And if it is that important to keep things hush hush for legal reason, then you've got me there...I'm not a lawyer, and NOT aware of those business practices!

This decision was made approx. 45 days ago - since that time we've turned away almost all new project work and tunes to focus on finalizing the projects that we've had here.

setxws6 - if you want to talk about your specific situation and vehicle - just PM me and I'll talk directly with you. I'll give you what information and recommendations I can at this time - fair enough?
You're getting a PM

Originally Posted by nextgen06
Do you mind me asking what changes you are going to make to the car that you are not sure if the other shop will be capable of making the adjustments to your PCM?
A reputable shop will be able to handle my changes. I never said that would be a problem. I only stated that it may take a lot of time to transfer data and or install a dyno if they bought MTI's dyno.....

Not wanting to wait months and months if I need a tune now.

Old 07-23-2008 | 08:39 PM
Badass pool player

I would like nothing more than be able to post the changes, but as I've said probably 1,000 times already on the phone, in person, on e-mails, pm's, etc - I simply can't right now. There are documents in the hands of attorney's that are being reviewed and prepared for the parties involved to sign - once that's done I already have the post prepared for LS1Tech and associated forums.

I'm writing this at 8:33 at night from my house - it's a little difficult to do what we're doing with MTI, get a new venture running and respond to everyone's questions and the 100+ voice mails a day asking "So what's going on?"

The announcement will be forthcoming shortly - until then if you have a specific question, just PM me and I'll do what I can to help out and answer questions.

I can't be
Old 07-23-2008 | 08:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Here ya go!!! All in favor

Old 07-23-2008 | 09:50 PM
On The Tree

Dave is the worlds best at the tommorow game, he'll beat you every time.

Quick Reply: Maybe I missed the memo.....but MTI is no longer a speed shop?