To fix or not to fix

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2008 | 02:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Default To fix or not to fix

Not car related but my doberman just turned 6 months, should I get him fixed? I've met other dobies that aren't fixed and thay are well tempered. He's far from aggressive, he is around other dogs daily, take him jogging in town lake and doesn't bother anyone. Hell I even walk him down to 6th street (I bartend there) and he loves the attention. Dobbie veterans, help me out.
Old 07-12-2008 | 05:55 PM
Staging Lane

Well I don't have a doberman, but I do have two dogs, a fullblood golden retriever, and a mutt. We got the mutt cut and he is still extremly agresive towards other dogs, tries to hump everything and runs away constantly. The golden retriever hasn't got cut and he has yet to try to run away, (even left the gate open once) and is not agresive at all. My two cents is to leave the dog alone. Would you want someone cutting your junk off?
Old 07-14-2008 | 03:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

I know a thing or two about dogs, especially aggression across different breeds. Fixed dogs are more likely to fight and try to show dominance (humping, barking, defiance, pissing, etc). The only problems with an intact male are his 'bad timing' red-rocket and the chance that he can knock-up something. If he is breed quality, don't let him breed until 2yo so he can become a true STUD. If he is not breed quality, don't let him breed.

BTW, dogs don't usually show aggression until about 18months. My fixed pit had her first fight at 22months. Before that dog, she would always sit, stay, and keep eye contact with me until I called her back. She won't start a fight without reason (direct threat towards herself or me) but she sure as hell won't bow down either.
Old 07-14-2008 | 03:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Go volunteer at an animal shelter and you won't even ask this question. Get the dog fixed.
Old 07-14-2008 | 10:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Greed4Speed
Go volunteer at an animal shelter and you won't even ask this question. Get the dog fixed.
I've volunteered at the Shelter in Corpus. I was going to adopt one when my Shar pei died but the only thing that had at townlake for adoption was pit bulls. Also, the doberman rescue wanted more for a dobie than I could find a puppy for.

As for my dobie, he is extremely breed quality. Everyone that see's him always gives me compliments. He's only 6 months but he is still somewhat submissive to other dogs. He listens good, he is just a puppy so he has so much damn energy.