Anyone ever had a tonsillectomy?

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2008, 10:04 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Anyone ever had a tonsillectomy?

How bad is it? What does it cost usually? Anyone recommended in the Pearland area?
Old 07-26-2008, 10:22 PM
11 Second Club

gets worse as you get older. still not too painful.. get lots of vicodin and ice cream and you'll be fine. should cost you anywhere from 100-500 depending on your insurance. if no insurance.. hit up county, then we all pitch in for it Good luck! (i know some excellent ENTs in dallas area, none in your neck of the woods)
Old 07-26-2008, 10:37 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Jeenis
gets worse as you get older. still not too painful.. get lots of vicodin and ice cream and you'll be fine. should cost you anywhere from 100-500 depending on your insurance. if no insurance.. hit up county, then we all pitch in for it Good luck! (i know some excellent ENTs in dallas area, none in your neck of the woods)
Yeah, I'm almost 24, so I'm not THAT old, yet. lol. Hopefully, it won't be too bad for me, though. I've been doing some research online. A lot of people recommend getting baby food, Ensure, a lot of water/powerade/gatorade. Here's a stupid question. I'm not on my Dad's health insurance. Can he add me ASAP and then get the operation for me with the insurance paying whatever percentage they pay of it?

I had strep throat early last year. I'm not even sure if I need a tonsillectomy just yet. I'll have to make a doctor appointment Monday to do a culture test for strep.

Last edited by Shackleford; 07-26-2008 at 11:02 PM.
Old 07-27-2008, 03:22 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are you in school? If not you probley dont have a chance of getting on your dads ins. I think the limit is 19 out of school and 23-24 in school. Dont quote me on it but it close. This is blue cross and cigna if I remember
Old 07-27-2008, 03:40 AM
Launching!

I had one when I was 20, it sucked horribly.. I was in a lot of pain for quite awhile. I was still on my grandparents insurance at the time so I'm not sure how much it was. I had tonsilitis and strep throat every year at least 15 times a year up until then. I remember eating a lot of jello, pudding and mashed potatoes.
Old 07-27-2008, 04:04 AM
11 Second Club

I go in Monday to have mine done. I have BlueCross BlueShield and I think my out of pocket is going to be right around $300.
Old 07-27-2008, 10:24 AM
TECH Addict

I had one last year with a septoplasty at the same time. It sucked horribly. I cried more in those fews days than I have in my whole life. I have broken many bones and I would rather have broken arms than my tonsiles taken out. I was 24 when I got mine done. The good thing was I lost 25lbs in less than 2 weeks. All I could eat was icecream, pudding, jello. To tell you the truth I really wasnt interestd in eating at all, I had no appetite. Also, good luck getting insurance to cover it. They will call it prexisting. You probably have to be on insurance at least 90 days before they will cover it.
Old 07-27-2008, 11:05 AM
TECH Addict

Are there any non-emergency clinics open today in the Pearland area? I should have realized that I have strep throat again. I had it early last year. I just need to start taking some antibiotics for this.
Old 07-27-2008, 11:48 AM
Teching In

My wife just had a septoplasty and her tonsils taken out on tuesday she is 24 and she is still in a lot of pain it really sucks she has lost 10lbs since tuesday all she has had is Gatorade, water, and ice cream and her surgery was Free Im in the military. Gotta love those benefits.
Old 07-27-2008, 01:07 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by quik02z
My wife just had a septoplasty and her tonsils taken out on tuesday she is 24 and she is still in a lot of pain it really sucks she has lost 10lbs since tuesday all she has had is Gatorade, water, and ice cream and her surgery was Free Im in the military. Gotta love those benefits.
I feel for her, it sucks bad. Was she not able to breathe out of her nose?
Old 07-27-2008, 01:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

I have had one. It sucked. I ate jello, soup, and protein shakes for about a week. Finally started being able to eat soft mushy foods after that.
Old 07-27-2008, 01:37 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by quik02z
What kind of pain meds do they give you??
Old 07-27-2008, 01:54 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by GMCHammer
What kind of pain meds do they give you??
I had my tonsils taken out a good while ago (15 years or so, I was only 14 or 15 and was under my dads sponsorship so I was on base) and they gave me the same meds as my friend who had the same thing done two weeks before in a regular hospital. I forgot what they gave me because its been a long time though
Old 07-27-2008, 03:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

I had one done about 6 years ago and as crazy as it sounds that night after I got outta the hospital, I went to the car meet at sonic in Pearland. I didnt drive of course and it didnt hurt that much either. I just took it easy and kept sippin on my orange slush. I was pretty numb that day I guess. The next day however was when the pain came. I remember waking up to the taste of burnt chicken wings. I know its wierd but it tasted like burnt crispy wings in my mouth and the back of my throat itched and hurt at the same time, but it wasnt as bad as I thought it was going to be. It still sucked but it wasnt too bad. I could eat food as long as it was really soft (soup, pureed fruit, ect)and by that next week I was eating Filets from Outback. Its one of those things where even thought it hurt to eat it got better each day. They also gave me some liquid vicoden that I stopped using after the first week.

I used to get tonsilitis and throat infections at least 2 times a year and after the surgery I havent had one since.
Old 07-27-2008, 03:56 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Cam72aro
I feel for her, it sucks bad. Was she not able to breathe out of her nose?
yea she still cant breath out of her nose and she snores horribaly

Quick Reply: Anyone ever had a tonsillectomy?