Safe Tow

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2008, 01:10 PM
Griml[]ck

Angry Safe Tow

A friend of mine here was following me to Beltway8/45 S area to meet up with Joe and his mob but had to pull over on the shoulder because his fuel pump must have gone out. Not even two minutes before I backed up to get back to where he was, a "safe t tow" truck came out of nowhere saying he had to get the car off of the road. I/We understood that it needed to be moved (I know this is the new policy) and I asked him if he was going to be charged for this because he did not really have any money on him. The wrecker said that he needs to get it towed before HPD gets there and if he did it then it would be $75, if HPD got there he would have to charge the whole tow of $210. We reluctantly got it done and had to wait another 1 1/2 hour for another wrecker to come from Conroe to pick his car up. $375 Ouch dollars to get it back to the Woodlands! .

Forward a few days, I spoke with somebody else and they said that the "safe t tow" guys are supposed to at least tow it off of the freeway to the nearest exit no charge unless they want to pay them to take it to their shop of choice. What my question is, did my friend get scammed or is this the policy? I have not heard much about 'safe t tow' for a few years now except when there was a big up roar about it.

Thanks for any input.

Last edited by Griml[]ck; 07-27-2008 at 01:13 PM. Reason: Damn vulchers
Old 07-27-2008, 01:21 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

here you go eddie if your not in traffic it free this is from the citys web page
SAFECLEAR
SAFEClear First Quarter 2006 Report (.pdf)
2004-2006 Freeway
Crash Comparisons 2004-2006 Crash Chart, First Quarter 2004-2006 Crash Chart, Jan. to April
SAFEClear One Year Report (Feb. 2006)
text (.pdf) chart (.pdf) table (.jpg)

The City of Houston, in response to concerns voiced about the SAFEClear program, has made the following changes to the program:

Any motorist who stalls or experiences a flat tire who is not in a moving lane of traffic has the option of receiving a free tow to a destination of their choice within one mile of the nearest exit. If the motorist believes he or she has run out of gas, the destination can the nearest gas station, even if it is beyond a mile after the nearest exit. If the motorist has a flat tire and a good spare, the tire will be changed for free, as well, if the motorist wants.
If a tow results from a police investigation, i.e. accident or arrest, or if the vehicle has been abandoned, the tow fee will be the city rate, currently $143.50.
Old 07-27-2008, 01:22 PM
TECH Addict

http://www.houstontx.gov/safeclear/index.html
Old 07-27-2008, 01:35 PM
Launching!

tow truck drivers are total crooks and scumbags for the most part. i hate them
Old 07-27-2008, 02:00 PM
TECH Resident

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

next time just try beating on the bottom of the feul tank w/ a rubber hammer or something. Its weird how it works but it causes the fuel pump to start working for just a little bit longer, usually long enough to get home. Sucks those bastards are using the ignorance of this new law to make money.
Old 07-27-2008, 02:03 PM
TECH Addict

yes it is, especially because he's spost to be moving in with me soon and is struggling for money as is. let alone an additional 375... i've been there, alot of times.
Old 07-27-2008, 03:02 PM
Griml[]ck

When they say "moving lane of traffic" that can be interprated/confused in two ways. Moving lane of traffic as in actual lanes #1, #2, #3 etc and not including the shoulder or do they include the shoulder? I know it is not where most people drive but technically it is attached in some way to the ''moving" lanes, therefore rendering the shoulder where Thomas was stranded part or not part of the moving lane.

Originally Posted by djjab57
here you go eddie if your not in traffic it free this is from the citys web page
SAFECLEAR
SAFEClear First Quarter 2006 Report (.pdf)
2004-2006 Freeway
Crash Comparisons 2004-2006 Crash Chart, First Quarter 2004-2006 Crash Chart, Jan. to April
SAFEClear One Year Report (Feb. 2006)
text (.pdf) chart (.pdf) table (.jpg)

The City of Houston, in response to concerns voiced about the SAFEClear program, has made the following changes to the program:

Any motorist who stalls or experiences a flat tire who is not in a moving lane of traffic has the option of receiving a free tow to a destination of their choice within one mile of the nearest exit. If the motorist believes he or she has run out of gas, the destination can the nearest gas station, even if it is beyond a mile after the nearest exit. If the motorist has a flat tire and a good spare, the tire will be changed for free, as well, if the motorist wants.
If a tow results from a police investigation, i.e. accident or arrest, or if the vehicle has been abandoned, the tow fee will be the city rate, currently $143.50.

Last edited by Griml[]ck; 07-27-2008 at 03:05 PM. Reason: Now taking donations for the CamminZ tow fund, donations are to be left at the door.
Old 07-27-2008, 03:06 PM
Griml[]ck

Better not let Vossy see this!

Originally Posted by rooster99ss
tow truck drivers are total crooks and scumbags for the most part. i hate them
Old 07-27-2008, 04:05 PM
TECH Addict

if your on the shoulder its free or supposed to be he should have got a receipt i would call them up and then call the city

Last edited by djjab57; 07-27-2008 at 08:12 PM.
Old 07-27-2008, 04:06 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Griml[]ck
Better not let Vossy see this!
lol, i turned vasi into a trashy truck driver like me
Old 07-27-2008, 04:08 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

when ever this happens call your insurance company and add the roadside assistance. i save about $75 by adding this last minute for a 60 mile tow. i think it cost $5/year. sometimes you get screwed sometimes things go ok.
Old 07-27-2008, 09:20 PM
Griml[]ck

That's what the tow truck driver suggested as well but I didn't know what plan he had with his insurance company. I just learned from my AAA towing that for another $10 or $15 a year, I get tow included up to 100 radius. That's something I'm going to suggest to Thomas (and a good thing for you all as well).
Old 07-27-2008, 09:24 PM
TECH Addict

but still the safe tow guy should not have charged anything to take him off the freeway. i would be making some calls on monday
Old 07-27-2008, 09:46 PM
TECH Addict

Was it Safe Tow of Safe T Tow. What color was the truck? Rollback or sling? Reason I ask is I know most of the guys at Safetow. They are suppost to tow you off the freeway for free. You can tell them to leave and they will, if hpd shows up then they tow. I sat on the side of the road on 288 and had 1 tow driver try to tow me, I told him to leave and he did, hpd never showed up, I was there over an hour, till I got it running and limped it home.
Old 07-27-2008, 09:50 PM
Griml[]ck

Come to think of it it might have been a knock off of "safety tow" because I know those trucks are imbedded with "safety tow" stickers all over the d^mn truck. The guy also seemed like in a hurry to get Thomas out of there but the only thing in my mind was that it is normal because it was a dangerous situation with the cars whizzing by us at 70+ mph. I hope Thomas can chime in here to help me help him out. (CamminZ).

Last edited by Griml[]ck; 07-27-2008 at 09:50 PM. Reason: Tow Truck business = Vulching
Old 07-27-2008, 10:46 PM
TECH Resident

Next time you guys need a tow truck let me know i have a buddy that drives a truck and will hook you up I am sure. I know for sure he would have towed your car to conroe way cheaper than $375
Old 07-28-2008, 12:51 PM
TECH Addict

well if i had been there like i was spost to, instead of getting suckered into going to movies with my girlfriend i could of let him use my 100 mile AAA...
Old 07-28-2008, 12:59 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by bigbadblack93z
when ever this happens call your insurance company and add the roadside assistance. i save about $75 by adding this last minute for a 60 mile tow. i think it cost $5/year. sometimes you get screwed sometimes things go ok.
Yeup! The insurance Co. will pay up to $60 bucks.
Old 07-28-2008, 01:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Griml[]ck
A friend of mine here was following me to Beltway8/45 S area to meet up with Joe and his mob but had to pull over on the shoulder because his fuel pump must have gone out. Not even two minutes before I backed up to get back to where he was, a "safe t tow" truck came out of nowhere saying he had to get the car off of the road. I/We understood that it needed to be moved (I know this is the new policy) and I asked him if he was going to be charged for this because he did not really have any money on him. The wrecker said that he needs to get it towed before HPD gets there and if he did it then it would be $75, if HPD got there he would have to charge the whole tow of $210. We reluctantly got it done and had to wait another 1 1/2 hour for another wrecker to come from Conroe to pick his car up. $375 Ouch dollars to get it back to the Woodlands! .

Forward a few days, I spoke with somebody else and they said that the "safe t tow" guys are supposed to at least tow it off of the freeway to the nearest exit no charge unless they want to pay them to take it to their shop of choice. What my question is, did my friend get scammed or is this the policy? I have not heard much about 'safe t tow' for a few years now except when there was a big up roar about it.

Thanks for any input.
towing is suppose to be free up the 1 mile. You got scammed
Old 07-28-2008, 04:03 PM
Griml[]ck

Not me, a fellow brother forum member here. I just felt bad because I was going to drag him with me all the way to Joe's lair and then Baytown and insult to injury it happened on the other side of the town he lived.